This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honestly ... just look at other pricing models:

Purchase a LaunchBox Premium license for access to Big Box and many other features.

I would not recommend "forever" license ... as it gets you lots of cash in short term ... but in long term you get less

Comment

Hell, if you implement this now ... I gladly pay to upgrade my "legacy" license to new "lifetime" to support development - knowing I am covered for one year in development and wont be lock out of features after one year (thats why i hate subsciption). I likely do it every year (unless I loose my job).

But as of now ... cannot upgrade ... have to pay full price ... and even pay full price - only get what is available now (which is not much for me at the moment compare to what I already have) ... I like support the development, but not to the point where I get next to nothing.

Comment

Do I understand correctly that your suggestion is an option to "subscribe to updates"? This plan would allow one to use the app in its current state when the subscription expires or canceled. This might lead to a situation when a fix for a serious bug becomes unavailable to users, forcing them to prolong their subscription.

The latest feedback shows that people are very unhappy about being forced. But we will consider this option.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Comment

You are right that forcing users to new pay model will make them unhappy.

Your biggest challenge in switching to new pay model is existing customers. Most of them will hate subscription model (that includes me).

So you need to look at what you actually "sold" us. All sells will include "base" access to reWASD. On top of that there are several "features" that customer bought.

So I agree with you that "legace/grandfather" license should only cover "base" and "features" that you bought at the time (and NOT EVERYTHING forever). This should include future bug fixes for "base" and "features".

In my opinion ... for rewasd, anything new from now on can be considered new "feature" (this should not include bug fixes). For example:
          1. Make DS4 500hz polling - new feature
          2. Add mapping of stick to gyro in physical controller - new feature
          3. Add Virtual Dualsense - new feature
          4. Support new controller - new feature
          5. Add additional 6 slots - new feature
          Etc

I will only cover my suggestio on perpetual licenses (as mentioned earlier by me and other users ... this is very common model for this type of software):

1. If you never had reWASD or want to get additional license - you purchase "lifetime" license. This should cover everything available now AND all "features" that will come in one year. Your 49USD now seems reasonable but it should include all "features" that will come in one year.

2. If you have have "lefetime" expired or "grandfather" license ... you can "renew" that license that will cover everything available now AND all "features" that will come in one year ... for me personally around 25USD seems reasonable.

There are variation of this model. For example:
          1. You release major version once per year (this year v8 ... next year v9 ... etc)
          2. People buy "lefetime" of current version ... that includes all sub version (8.1 8.5 etc)
          3. People "renew" to new version and are entitled to all its sub versions

Both models work well.

Comment

PS. "Version" pay model is more common from what I have seen ... JRiver, GuitarPRO ... pretty sure there are more

"One year" pay model ... i can only think LaunchBox (reWASD can theoretically work with LaunchBox ... to offer something similar to Steam Input for LaunchBox) ... in case you don't know - LaunchBox is a front end to game emulators - pretty sure rewasd can add nice value to that

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions; we'll discuss it with the team.

Comment

So the legacy license only cover to Ver.7. meaning If i upgrade to 8 or further Ver. that will see it as a trial license right ?

If this is the case , then you guys should make the old Ver.7 and it's addon much cheaper. Because it will be an old product and stay outdated forever.

Comment

Originally Posted by ControlFreak View Post
                  So the legacy license only cover to Ver.7. meaning If i upgrade to 8 or further Ver. that will see it as a trial license right ?

If this is the case , then you guys should make the old Ver.7 and it's addon much cheaper. Because it will be an old product and stay outdated forever.
                  No, legacy licenses can still be used in reWASD 8.0 and later.

Comment

I have to agree. A yearly release at $25 that gives you all the yearly features would be far more palatable.

Comment

The model tij laid out in post #19 is I feel the most fair one, and is very close to the model you already created here. The key differences are:
                      1. The 1 year after you buy the lifetime sub includes not just bugfixes and updates, but also any new features released within that 1 year.
                      2. You have an option to upgrade your lifetime sub for a fresh year of updates and features whenever you choose, for a discounted amount (his $25 suggestion seems reasonable given inflation and so on).
                      Whiile I hate the subscription junk that Adobe normalized, for a smaller team, I can see this making sense as long as it is done equitably and transparently.

Comment

Not much a fan of the new pricing. Subscription models in general are awful and fairly anti-consumer.

The new "lifetime" license appears to be about double the cost of the old licenses with all addons unlocked, but is still only "lifetime" for features up to the time of purchase. Any new features won't just necessitate a small additional price to add that feature (like in the old model), but repurchasing the entire license again.

If the new pricing model had been active back when I first started using the software, I would have clicked away from the site in about 2 seconds, and never purchased it. If my current license ever "runs out," or a new feature is added that would require purchasing the new "lifetime" license, I will never upgrade. Had I known about the new pricing model, I likely would have bought the addons for features my current license doesn't have, just so I wouldn't have to worry - now, that seems like I will never have the option for those features without shelling out significantly more cash than I would want for this software.

Comment

Working...
                        X