First Impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Impressions

I've been eyeing reWASD for a while now but never pulled the trigger. I exclusively use the Steam Controller and love the accompanying software (Steam Input) so much that I've dedicated the last three years of my online life to giving it more coverage and providing tutorials for the userbase. However, I'm not primarily a Steam user and don't enjoy being locked into a launcher just so that I can use my controller of choice with the options that I've become accustom to. I'm willing to pay for an option that isn't tied to any software and with the Autumn sale going on now I have decided to pick up the full reWASD package knowing that it doesn't currently support my input device. I played around with the software using a Dualshock 4 for a little bit and I like what it can do but there are a lot of features that I'm used to that aren't present. I'll probably make a more detailed topic at a later time once I have familiarized myself with the software more but these are some glaring issues that I've noticed immediately.
    • No gyro support. Almost every modern controller has a 6-axis sensor IMU in it (gyrometer + accelerometer) so it's a bit bizarre to not support it in the software.
      • Gyro Aiming (binding the mouse output to the IMU) is the best method that controller users have to competing with mouse aim users. It is highly accurate and utilizes multiple points of movement (wrist, arm) allowing fine tuning over it's use.
      • Gyro steering (binding the left joystick's X-Axis to the IMU) allows the user to transform a standard controller into a makeshift steering wheel. Crafty gamers have even created 3D printable mounts for controllers so they can be used in a more natural fashion
    • Incomplete Touchpad Support -- Currently the Dualshock 4's touchbar only supports 4 touch bindings and 1 click binding
      • I would like to designate the number of boxes for bindings on the bar. 1 large rectangle, 2 squares (from left to right), and the 4 rectangle setup that is currently supported.
      • Each of these shapes should have their own bindings sets, both for touch and click.
      • I should be able to choose various styles of input for each shape. Maybe I'd like to treat the left half as a directional pad that is activated by touch and binding WASD to it so I can simply slide my finger to the top, left, right, or bottom of the square to move my character.
      • Finally, the touchbar is just an elongated touchpad which are most famous for being used to control a mouse cursor. Direct mouse control should be a staple setting for any touchpad on any controller.
    Finally, I highly suggest someone on the dev team simply enable Dualshock 4 support in Steam Input and play around with the settings. I suggest a DS4 because it has every single common input source found on modern controllers. It has a directional pad, joystick, digital buttons, analog triggers, an IMU, and touchpads. I suggest looking at the competition because, aside from the few suggestions I'll make that I've also asked Valve to implement, most of suggestions will be based on getting reWASD up to par with Steam Input in the areas that it falls behind in. Despite having some really cool, unique features (Triple Press bindings!!!) reWASD is a bit anemic in my eyes, even with all 4 add-ons.. I'm gonna try to be fairly active here and on the discord so expect to see a lot of me. You have no idea how much I want this little program to become the premier controller profiling software that it can be. I hope y'all don't get tired of me

Hello,

Thank you for so detailed suggestions. reWASD develops actively, new features and improvements added constantly with updates at least 2-3 times a year (apart from hotfixes).
    The gyro support will be added this year with one of the next updates, the rest of the provided features would be viewed attentively and investigated for implementation.
    Don't worry! Be Happy!

Comment

personally I dont like the idea of having to reapply paid liscence ea time this program cant find my "connection" because it then seems to delete ALL the profiles I put in earlier and places you into trial mode again... this is a PAID LISCENCE.... I would expect to only have to register it once =s .... honestly I find it highly frustrating...(this is of course after a windows update)... thankyou
      Last edited by samx45; 04.10.2019, 20:39.

Comment

Originally Posted by samx45 View Post
        personally I dont like the idea of having to reapply paid liscence ea time this program cant find my "connection" because it then seems to delete ALL the profiles I put in earlier... this is a PAID LISCENCE.... I would expect to only have to register it once.... honestly????? my suggestion is that you include this in your product description in the future because I find it highly frustrating... thankyou
        That sounds strange that reWASD is missing any configs in this case. All profiles are safely stored in "C:\Users\Public\Documents\reWASD\Profiles", and this folder even stays after the app uninstallation. You do not need to worry about the configs, you can always find them again or you can share some to our Community to create an additional back up.

As for the license validation, I'm extremely sorry that it caused some problems and misunderstandings. reWASD re-validates the paid license from time to time and checks for the new updates, although you do not need the Internet connection permanently. We will add this information to our official documentation for sure.

Comment

thank you..again it was only after windows update a lil window popped up in back w/the code to revalidate but the profiles went *poof* unless they are stored somewhere in the folders?

Comment

Hello,
            Profiles store different directory C:\Users\Public\Documents\reWASD\Profiles but software removal or re-installing doesn't influence and files are always in safe (unless completely windows re-installing).
            Don't worry! Be Happy!

Comment

the reWASD interface profile options open up these very same folders and they are empty... however the profile I created was saved as what resembled a shortcut on desktop..thats what was promptly removed when this program decided to switch me back into a trial mode and liscence reapply window

Comment

Could you please check Windows Security > Virus & threat protection > Ransomware protection. It seems that Controller folder access is switched on and it may be a reason why reWASD can't save the profiles.

Comment

Working...
                X