Any Gyro News?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Gyro News?

The recent survey had an option "Change nothing about the UI, work on Gyro" and I'm so happy to see that gyro support is at least an acknowledged request. So I was wondering if there was any news that could be shared about progress implementing it. Right now I'm using a program called JoyShockMapper for gyro aiming alongside reWASD's full customization but it will be really nice to consolidate everything into a single program. Especially since I have to jump through a ton of hoops to ensure that JSM can see the controller (I make extensive use of the unmap feature in reWASD) and then I need to make sure that both programs are auto-loading configs and not overlapping bindings. So....no rush, but also I seriously can't wait for gyro support in reWASD -- especially if it has all of the nuanced settings that you guys are known for.

Hello,
    Thank you for your interests in our software.

The gyro feature develops and we hope to add it one of the closest releases. We will let you know ASAP.
    Don't worry! Be Happy!

Comment

Hi there,

Happy to inform you that the gyro feature has been released. Please, update your current version to the latest 5.3 (Preferences - Check for updates).
      This is a detailed tutorial - https://help.rewasd.com/how-to-remap/controller.html.

Besides the gyro feature new other features, bug fixes and improvements you may see this topic
      Don't worry! Be Happy!

Comment

Thanks for this huge update! Unfortunately the gyro implementation is lacking a lot of fine tune controls and ends up being unwieldy. I would hate for this to be the first experience for a new gyro user as it doesn't showcase the gyro in a great light. Some new settings that need to be added are:
        • Movement threshold -- this changes how quickly the controller must be rotated for input to be read, acting as a sort of deadzone for gyro output. Right now this value is a bit high for my tastes with many of my natural movements not being read at all. The user should definitely be allowed to adjust this value. I understand the reason it was implemented -- to reduce the jittery motion of natural hands -- but it is very much a subjective thing that users need access to. Ideally this would be set as a hard value based on "degrees of rotation per second" rather than a value obscured by a slider.
        • Acceleration -- This is sort of like what a response curve for does for joysticks, it allows a user to get variable output speeds. Basically the output movement is multiplied by a value based on how fast the user rotates the controller. Much like the movement threshold, this needs to be available to the user as well. Some people want zero acceleration, providing a uniform movement distance regardless of how fast they rotate the controller. Others might want precise aiming (low sensitivity) when moving the controller a little bit but want a higher sensitivity when rotating quickly.
          • For this setup you ideally want 4 values -- the floor and ceiling for rotation speed (handled in degrees of rotation per second) and the floor and ceiling for output speed (handled as multipliers to the sensitivity). If a player is rotating slower than the rotation floor then they output the speed floor. If they rotate faster than than the rotation ceiling then they get the speed ceiling. And any movement speed in between is determined using a linear equation -- so rotating at a speed halfway between the rotation speed floor and ceiling would output a sensitivity halfway between the output speed floor and ceiling.
          • Additionally, you could work this and the movement threshold into the same setting but allow for multiple values of rotation speed rather than just a floor and a ceiling. This would allow users to set a 0 output speed for the rotation speed floor -- creating a deadzone, just like the movement threshold -- but would not remove their ability to create an acceleration curve either. It would also be better for simplicity sake since it allows two ideas to sit under a single setting name.
        • Default Yaw vs Roll setting -- I know there is a Command for this (by the way, great job on commands, they're super useful) but it makes more sense to set this per config and then have the command available for fringe cases. As it stands I need to remember to change it to Yaw every single time that a config is loaded. It doesn't seem too bad but it's an extra step that other programs don't have, making it a minor annoyance that I have to constantly deal with.
        These requests are just for the mouse output, I still have to test out the gyro -> joystick implementation, but since I use the mouse output all of the time (I control my OS and do all of my computer with a gyro mouse) these sorts of things immediately stuck out to me. I went through every settings and checked out the documentation as well looking for these settings or anything similar to them and didn't find them. Until they are added -- at least until the Movement Threshold is added -- I find this implementation of gyro unusable and will continue to use JoyShockMapper in tandem with reWASD. But I'll continue to test out new gyro features and provide feedback on them as they are developed. I'm really hoping to have a single program handle all of my controller needs and I know reWASD could be that program.

Comment

Hello,
          Thank you for this detailed feedback. So appreciate it.

1. There are no stick response settings for mouse, therefore please try gyro mapped to virtual stick. It has a stick response curve, customized and couple presets.

What about Zone shape, have you tried to lessen the deadzone to min even remove it completely? So you don't need to push the controller strong to get output.

2. Also, check the Tilt mode for the mouse. Tilt has a response curve that you may set according to your needs.

Looking forward to your feedback.
          Don't worry! Be Happy!

Comment

Hey there! Thanks again for the detailed description

We have a few more questions:

1. Which game do you play? I think it would be better for us to test it.
            2. Did you see Mouse Sensitivity sliders on the main screen when you mapped Mouse to Gyro? It won't give you the proper acceleration, but it may help to move better in games.
            3. Just curious, how do you hold the gamepad during the game? Are you sitting or lying? Sorry for those funny questions, just want to understand why Yaw is more convenient for you because the steering axis works differently in our modes, so we need to get the full picture

Comment

Let's start with Star-Lord's questions:

1. Gyro mapped to stick wouldn't work for situations where I need a mouse, like in my Desktop OS as I stated in my feedback comment. The Zone Shape by default doesn't have a deadzone but reducing the low slider to the left doesn't fix it either. I'm assuming there is an underlying algorithm to discard unwanted movements (which is perfectly reasonable) but the fact that it isn't a user facing settings is the issue since it is too aggressive for me. This setting would be exactly what I described as the Movement Threshold setting that I'm wanting.

2. Tilt is definitely not something that I would want to use. It emulates output based on deflection rather than use the 1:1 ability that gyro can handle to map movement to output. It's like mapping a joystick to the mouse. Sure it's possible and sometimes it's the best option available but it is rarely a desired option as it's not anywhere near as accurate as using a mouse to directly aim or manipulate a cursor.

Now onto reWASDer:

1. It isn't for any game in particular. I use the gyro for anything that includes mouse movement. The majority of the time this is in Windows while I simply operate my computer; editing in Photoshop, editing in Hitfilm, using OBS, surfing the web, accessing and moving files, editing spreadsheets, etc. While I also use the gyro for mouse cursor games (like RTS games or Diablo-clones) and shooters (first person or third person) I don't believe any of it matters since most modern games support raw mouse input which means that it negates any game specific settings for the mouse.

2. The sensitivity sliders are great for assigning a sensitivity, and I understand how that works, but it isn't a replacement for what I'm requesting.

3. I sit up in a chair and hold the controller no differently than if it were sitting on the floor or a desk. For me, using Yaw is more natural. It is like using a 6dof VR controller or a WiiMote. I point the controller where I want to move the mouse cursor or point the camera. Imagine the USB port as the Wiimote's IR sensor and I think that'll help paint the picture. Roll is entirely unnatural to me since it requires that I abstract the input from the output. To put another way, tilt your head to the left. That is the same motion as Roll. Now look to the left. That is the same motion as Yaw. So looking and general movement should be Yaw while tilting your head (typically referred to as Peaking or Leaning) should be Roll. There is no abstraction here like in the reverse. The controller and the actions of the character line up perfectly.
              Last edited by CriticalComposer; 13.03.2020, 17:29.

Comment

Got your point, thanks for your responses.

Will start working on it the way how we see it. Hope the perfect Gyro is coming soon

Comment

Working...
                X