A Cyclic Object eg for weapons, inventories etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Cyclic Object eg for weapons, inventories etc

Hi first I'd like to say reWASD is brilliant and I'm very happy with it.

Now I'd like to suggest something that would really helpful in some games - a Cyclic Object that has the following properties:

1. The object would allow a list of trigger keys to be set that can be cycled through eg 1, 2, 3, 4, 5...
    2. The object would be able to behave as a toggle as well.
    3. Ability to bind a key/button to trigger the next key in the cycle going in one direction
    4. Ability to bind a key/button to trigger the previous key in the cycle thereby going in opposite direction
    5. Ability to bind a key/button to untoggle the cycle, allowing for the option to trigger either a unique key or the current key
    6. Ability to listen for keys in the list that may change the position in the cycle or untoggle the cycle if that is the current key
    7. A little more challenging but having the ability to change the size of the available list on the fly eg as weapons or inventory increase or decrease

Pinnacle Game Profiler certainly had an object that performed 1, 3 and 4 very well.

Thanks for listening.

Hello,
    Thank you for your suggestions.

1. I think the first (and also 3 property I guess) property triggers with break option that is part of the combo feature. Break button permits to add a break, which divides the combo into several parts: the combo will stop reproducing after each break, and continue once the button is pressed again.

2. The toggle option is also provided by reWASD. When you press the button it stays pressed until another press releases it.

Other suggested properties are needed to investigate more deeply. I will back with updated info.
    Don't worry! Be Happy!

Comment

Hey there!

I am a bit puzzled with the suggested things, so we need more details

1 and 2 looks like "break" mentioned by Star-Lord. The idea is to create a list of required actions separated by a break in one combo: 1 - break - 2 break - 3 - break - 4 - break - 5 - break.
      First press will fire "1", second press will fire "2" and so on.

If you need something to work as a Toggle, you can put start-action - break - finish-action to the combo. Is that the thing you meant?

3 and 4: yep, this feature is not available in reWASD. Am I right, you want to assign a cycle to A button + use B button to revert the order?
      First A press: 1, second A press 2, B is pressed, third A press: 1 again. Am I right?

5. Hm, does it mean to have another, X button, that reverts the combo to the zero state (next A press will fire 1 again)?

6. And here is where I have not ideas, sorry You want "revert" and "go back" actions to be added to the list of the items in a cycle? But why may you need it?

7. Well, reWASD is a mapper. It doesn't know anything about your game, so this sounds like a magic at the first sight... However, if you have "revert" command, you can add all possible number of weapons on the stage of config creation. While you do not have enough items in a game, you will need to press revert, so you are not going beyond the list of the available items. Does it make sense?

Comment

Hiya, thanks for the replies and questions.

I apologize because I do already use combo. I should really have started my suggestion using combo as a basis from which to extend the further functionality that I have in mind.

Bear with me, I will present a better explanation in due course and I will illustrate as best I can with examples...

Comment

Hello,
          Thank you for your feedback. Bear with you and wait for your suggestions
          Don't worry! Be Happy!

Comment

Sorry for the time gone by...

In our game lets say we can be armed with one of the available weapons (eg 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc) or we can be unarmed. The armed/unarmed is the toggling property I was trying to describe before. I will talk about weapons but this could be any game items in an inventory that can be enabled/disabled/used/discarded etc.

This is what I would like reWASD to be able to do using the gamepad
            1. l would like to cycle forward through the list of weapons.
            2. I would like to cycle backwards through the list of weapons.
            3. I would like to disarm the current weapon.
            4. After I disarm, I would like the last weapon that was used to re-arm when I start to cycle again (either forwards or backwards)
            5. I would like to be able to map buttons to arm my favourite weapon.
            6. After I arm a favourite weapon, I would like the previous or next weapon, respective to the currently armed favourtite weapon, to arm when I begin to cycle again.
            7. I would like to be able to handle a dynamically changing weapon list.
            8. I would like to be able to handle a dynamically changing favourite weapon

In more detail and using a cycle of weapons with the following keys in the slots 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 :-

1. We want to assign a button say A, to a cycle forward method, which would cycle through the keys 1, 2 ,3, 4, 5, and back to 1 with each consecutive press
            eg1 pressing A, A, A, A, A, A reWASD would send 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 1

reWASD can currently do this by mapping button A with a combo: 1 - break - 2 - break - 3 - break - 4 - break - 5

2. We want to assign a button say B, to a cycle backwards method, which would cycle through the same key list 1, 2 ,3, 4, 5 but in reverse from the currently armed weapon and its related key,
            eg if we press A,A,A,B,B reWASD would send 1, 2, 3, 2, 1

reWasd cant do this.

3.We have three variations that I can think of

i. We want the option to cycle through our weapons but after a reaching the end of the cycle we want to apply a disarm method which sends a game specific key (eg backspace)
            eg1 pressing A, A, A, A, A, A, A reWASD would send 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, backspace, 1

reWASD can do this with the same combo above on button A and by adding the disarm key to the combo: 1 - break - 2 break - 3 - break - 4 - break - 5 - break - backspace

ii. We want to assign button X to a cycle disarm method which would send a game specific key (eg backspace)
            eg when we press A, A, A, X reWASD sends 1, 2, 3, backspace

reWASD can do this with the previous combo on button A and by mapping backspace to button X.

iii. We want to assign button X to a cycle disarm method which would send the current key for the current weapon in the cycle
            eg1 pressing A, A, A, X reWASD would send 1, 2, 3, 3, eg2 pressing A, A, B, X reWASD would send 1, 2, 1, 1

reWASD can't do this

4. We have just disarmed as described in 3.ii or 3.iii, and we begin to cycle through the weapons. We want the first weapon armed to be the weapon we disarmed.
            (case ii) eg1 pressing A, A, A, X, A reWASD would send 1, 2, 3, backspace, 3; eg2 pressing A, A, A, X, B reWASD would send 1, 2, 3, backspace, 3;
            (case iii) eg1 pressing A, A, A, X, A reWASD would send 1, 2, 3, 3, 3; eg2 pressing A, A, A, X, B reWASD would send 1, 2, 3, 3, 3

reWASD cant do this

5. We want to assign a button Y to a cycle "go to slot i" method which would send the key in that slot which then arms our favourite weapon lets say weapon 3.
            eg pressing A, A, A, A, A, Y reWASD would send 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 3

reWASD currently does this by mapping 3 to button Y.

6. We just armed our favourite weapon using button Y as described in in 5. When we begin to cycle we want the next or previous weapon to reflect that choice.
            eg1 pressing A, A, A, A, A, Y, A reWASD would send 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 3, 4; eg2 pressing A, A, A, A, A, Y, B reWASD would send 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 3, 2

NB1. If disarming via method 3.ii was present then after pressing button Y to arm our favourite weapon, pressing the disarm button X would still work as described in method 3.ii
            eg1 pressing A, A, A, A, A, Y, X, A reWASD would send 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 3, backspace, 3; eg2 pressing A, A, A, A, A, Y, X, B reWASD would send 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 3, backspace, 3

NB2. If disarming via method 3.iii was present then button Y would also disarm, so after pressing button Y to arm our favourite weapon, pressing the disarm button X or favourtite weapon Y would work as described in method 3.iii.
            eg1 pressing A, A, A, A, A, Y, X, A reWASD would send 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 3, 3, 3; eg2 pressing A, A, A, A, A, Y, X, B reWASD would send 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 3, 3, 3
            eg3 pressing A, A, A, A, A, Y, Y, A reWASD would send 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 3, 3, 3; eg4 pressing A, A, A, A, A, Y, Y, B reWASD would send 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 3, 3, 3

reWASD cant do this

7. In certain games, the number of weapons (or items) we have in our inventory may change (ie the number of slots). The game inventory does not use empty slots so the length of the inventory changes dynamically when we increase or decrease the number of weapons. We could start the game with a default number of weapons. We may pick weapons up or we may lose weapons. Let's say we start the game with 1 weapon, but after playing for a while we have picked up more weapons and now we have 7 weapons then we have exhausted some weapons and they are no longer in our inventory so we now have 4 weapons.

We want to assign all our cycle slots with keys eg 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 etc but then be able to assign one hotkey shortcut (eg B "hold" + A) to a cycle length increase method to increase the "available" length of the cycle by one and assign another hotkey shortcut (eg A "hold" + B) to a cycle length decrease method to decrease the "available" length of the cycle by one. It would be impossible to increase beyond the maximum number of slots, or decrease below the minimum. We want to be able to set the initial "available" slots

For instance we set a full cycle 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 but we start the profile with a default length of 3.
            eg press A, A, A, A, A reWASD sends 1, 2, 3, 1, 2

We picked up two weapons in game which are added to the inventory - we hold B, and press A, A The cycle length has increased to 5
            eg press A, A, A, A, A reWASD now sends 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

We used up a weapon in game and it is removed from the inventory - we hold A, and press B The cycle length has decreased to 4
            eg press A, A, A, A, A reWASD now sends 1, 2, 3, 4, 1

reWASD cant do this

8. In certain games our favourite weapon might take a different slot in the inventory.

We want to assign a hotkey shortcut (eg A "hold" + B "hold" + Y) to reassign button Y which is currently mapped to a one slot to the current weapon slot.

For instance we set a full cycle 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 with default length and button Y mapped to key slot 3.
            eg A, A, A, A, A, Y reWASD sends 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 3

We want to set button Y to cycle key slot 2 on the fly - press A, A ReWASD send 1, 2, so weapon 2 is armed, now we hold A, and hold B, press Y - now Y is mapped to 2 instead of 3
            eg A, A, A, A, A, Y reWASD sends 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 2 (starting from zero state)

reWASD cant do this

Hope that provides a lot more details and examples to what I am suggesting and fingers crossed that I haven't made any mistakes or typos that will create unnecessary confusion. I'll check back to help try clarify anything that makes no sense.

Many thanks.

Comment

Hello, welcome back!

I am so grateful for all the details, and I am extremely sorry, but almost everything described here simply can't be implemented in our architecture.

Each combo in reWASD works separately and doesn't influence on other ones.

We will certainly keep all those wonderful use cases in mind, but I can't promise you anything, sorry.

Comment

Yeah, I envisioned it as probably needing to be its own plugin. One day maybe

Comment

Yep, seems to be a plugin for a game.

Hope one day it will happen

Comment

Working...
                  X