TRUE Desktop Profile, Long-press Shift Toggle, Per-Shift Axis Settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TRUE Desktop Profile, Long-press Shift Toggle, Per-Shift Axis Settings

Hey guys, I just wanted to chime in with a few features I would love to see in ReWASD, sometime down the line.

The first and most desired (for me) would be to have a more dedicated kind of "Default" profile that ReWASD would know to return to after leaving a game that had it's own profile. I know that right now there is the "Desktop" profile, and the option to remove config on exiting a game, but I don't know if it's buggy or if I'm just unclear on the language or what, but it just NEVER works for me in the way I want it to, it always seems to pick some previous game profile to revert back to once I exit a game. Honestly, the way Steam input does it where there is a DEDICATED Desktop setting, that is active so long as another game ISN'T active, really really seems to work well and in a way I don't have to even think about. Currently with ReWASD there just isn't any way to do that aside from associating applications like explorer.exe, Chrome, Steam etc. to your desktop profile, and having to include each and every app doesn't work nearly as well as having a single "if there is no game open, then the Desktop profile is applied" rule. Not to mention the INCREDIBLY confusing auto-detect system with two different toggles that never assigns the correct 1-4 slot.

The others I have are:

A) the ability to toggle to a shift layout with a long press, and...

B) to be able to adjust axis parameters/sensitivity for each shift layout instead of globally in the non-shift layout.

If I sound upset or overly-critical, I don't mean to! Just trying to make things concise. At the end of the day, you guys make a WONDERFUL program the I use literally every single day. It enables me to use my computer in so many cool and different ways, so I have the utmost gratitude for it. I just, you know, thought I'd share some things that would REALLY would make this the best application ever...

...well, for me anyway! =)

Regards, Tyler

Hey there!

First, thanks for your kind words. Happy to make your controller usage better

Second, great that you have found this thread and share your ideas. We do love suggestions

So...

1. Many issues with Desktop config should be fixed with one additional association: SearchUI.exe. Please ensure that you have it.
    2. In your case, when you use both desktop and game configs, it is better to uncheck Remove applied config from slot on exit from associated app

With 1 & 2, you should switch to the desktop once you leave the game, and won't lose this config using different apps you do not want see in the list.

Still, the idea about a truly global config is in our to-do list. Stay tuned!

A) Interesting idea. It is technically impossible at the moment, but we are planning some changes in Shift mode implementation and will take this one into account.

B) I'm not sure which settings are not re-adjustable in Shift. For example, if you map your mouse to stick, you can re-adjust the mouse sensitivity in Shift. Which exact case are you talking about?

Comment

Well, I too want to see such a "true" desktop profile

I'm honestly a bit confused as to what the rationale was for the design of this feature. I could only speculate that there was some existing architecture which did not allow to have a real default profile, without requiring a big refactor. But I'd be curious to know.

Practical example:
      Xpadder has a default profile, one which it reverts to when not in an app which has an associated profile. But for some reason it doesn't allow to "unmap all" for specific app, because I just want the normal controller inputs. So I created an "Empty profile" which I just apply on a per game basis. Not that it was complicated to have an "unmap all" option for specific app, but at least a workaround is possible.

The way I see it, the apps that you want to have custom bindings for are few, and you can define profiles for each. But you can't define an app list for "all the other apps"
      So I feel like this was poor design, but of course I don't know if there was some other aspect which did not allow for another implementation.

Comment

Hey there!

We do think about global config that will work regardless the app. But this is something like a manually applied config, that is why this wasn't our priority for the first release of Autodetect functionality. But as for we see more requests, we will definitely take this behavior in mind. Just can't promise that it will happen sometime soon.

Comment

Hi

I know this is an older thread, but thought I would post here rather than start another desktop profile thread

Also, this is my first post (I'm new to reWASD) so apologies if this is going over old ground again.

If you want "inspiration" on how best to do a global desktop profile, in my opinion Control Companion has the best implametation. This is not a promo for Controller Companion, I'm just highlighting as I think this would be great in reWASD.
          • Global config is active when no game is running.
          • It has excellent (the best I've tried) game detection and auto turns off the profile off when detected.
          • It has a global shortcut (hold start+select by default) to disable the global profile for those times the auto detect does not work
          • It remembers your choice on a per-game basis for the next time you launch that game.
          • The global shortcut is also great if you want to quickly turrn on the global profile, do something quickly with the mouse, the turn off again while in-game.
          For now, I run both CC and reWASD side by side, CC for default desktop use and reWASD for per game stuff. Does the job, but would be nice having it all under one app!

Cheers

Comment

We appreciate your suggestion.

Still, at the current moment, you can try using the autodetect for Desktop mode by adding the explorer.exe and searchui.exe to be added to the autodetect list.

This is the best possible solution for the current moment.

Comment

Thanks for ther reply, but just as others have said, it's not a viable solution which is why the request keeps coming up. CC just works out of the box with no hassle with desktop mode, so for me having both installed is the best solutiuon for now.

I read somewhere it's on the ToDo list so looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with!

Comment

Sure!

Please stay tuned for updates!

Comment

Working...
                X