Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Steam Controller features in the works?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Steam Controller features in the works?

Are there plans to implement every Steam Controller feature that's natively available from Steam? It's awesome how we now have a way to use the SC without Steam, but I really miss some of the features that I'm used to, like being able to map the Full Pull for triggers and being able to set the Soft Pull Trigger Style (specifically, being able to set it to Hair Trigger since that's what's most useful in FPS games like Valorant).

Also for the Shortcut feature, it's a little bit of a hassle having to press all the buttons at the exact same time. In Steam, I can set a Shortcut as left grip and left bumper, and I can hold the left grip until I'm ready to press the left bumper and the Shortcut will still activate once I do press the left bumper. But for ReWASD, I have to press those two at the exact same time, or else the Shortcut won't activate. Please make it how Steam does it. It's much more intuitive.

Thank you so much for adding support for the Steam Controller!

Hello,
    Thank you for your suggestions

1. Full Pull - if you mean trigger press + click - yes, we know about it and going to add one of the next releases.
    2. Soft Pull - as I understand is something about deadzone in reWASD trigger's settings that used to adjust trigger sensitivity. Is this setting that you're asking about?
    3. Yes, to activate the shortcut, you need to press all the buttons simultaneously. I'm not sure about this feature to implement, we definitely will discuss it with the team.
    Don't worry! Be Happy!

Comment

Hey there!

You may try Shift mode instead of Shortcuts. It works just like you describe: the Shift modifier button is pressed, and all the next pressed buttons will emulate an additional action mapped to those buttons inside Shift. I think you will like it more.

Comment

Originally Posted by Star-Lord View Post
        Hello,
        2. Soft Pull - as I understand is something about deadzone in reWASD trigger's settings that used to adjust trigger sensitivity. Is this setting that you're asking about?
        Oh, I'm talking about another feature, not deadzones. "Soft Pull Trigger Style" is one of the features from Steam Input. It's probably one of the most important features for me as an FPS player because the "Hair Trigger" setting lets me pull the trigger as quickly as possible without having to release the trigger all the way. I even use the "Hair Trigger" setting in non-FPS games since I'm able to send trigger inputs much faster than if I used the normal setting.

The following article explains exactly what "Soft Pull Trigger Style" is and also what the "Hair Trigger" setting does:

https://bryanrumsey.wordpress.com/2018/04/29/steam-input-essentials-eps-2-triggers/#:~:text=This is where the Soft Pull Trigger Style comes into play.

I also forgot to mention another feature that's essential for FPS games. It's the "Outer Ring Binding" feature for the touchpads. It lets us choose whether to walk or run by just placing our thumb a certain distance away from the center of the touchpad. The following article explains what it is:

https://bryanrumsey.wordpress.com/2019/05/29/steam-input-essentials-eps-8-joystick-move/#:~:text=Outer Ring Binding

By the way, I also really like reWASD because it allows me to connect via Bluetooth much more smoothly than Steam. When using Steam, I have to manually unpair the Steam Controller and pair it again via Bluetooth each time I turn the Steam Controller on. Otherwise, I'll have connection problems (I think it's because my laptop uses Bluetooth 4 instead of Bluetooth 5). But with reWASD, all I have to do is turn the controller on, and the connection works perfectly! I don't have to unpair and re-pair it each time. So thank you for that quality of life improvement!

But as of now, I only use reWASD solely because Valorant's anti-cheat doesn't allow Steam to communicate with the game, but it allows reWASD. I would honestly use reWASD for all of my non-Steam games if it was more feature-complete. I really want to use it for Osu since I wouldn't have to deal with the Bluetooth problem I mentioned before, but it would be much harder to play without the "Hair Trigger" feature since fast trigger inputs are absolutely essential for that game.

I really hope you consider adding the features I mentioned

Comment

If the links don't automatically scroll down to the relevant section, do a text search for "Soft Pull Trigger Style" for the first link. And do a text search for "Outer Ring Binding" for the second link.

Comment

I'll add that using the Shift feature in the way that OP is describing isn't great since that button can't have a binding other than the shift. It's also limited to only have 4 of these two button inputs -- and that's assuming you don't actually need to use any of the Shifts for larger scale changes. OP is specifically asking for something that Steam calls "Chorded Bindings" and is very useful and irreplaceable for the niche situations where they would be required. It's like a shortcut and a Shift combined -- where you can activate the binding any time after holding the first button but that first button also doesn't lose it's original function. I think the easiest way to add it would be as an additional activation type. So it would go in the same area of the UI as Single Press, Release Press, Double Press, etc. Using pseudo-code these are all fairly similar -- if B is pressed once do "x", if B is pressed twice do "y", if B is pressed WHILE L2/LT/ZL is held do "z". (I know that massively over-simplifies the work that goes into adding a feature like this into a complex program but I think it gets the idea across. I completely respect and appreciate that it isn't that easy)

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for the detailed explanations and feedback about reWASD! Very pleased to hear these kind words. About Hair Trigger feature, I think you may do it with reWASD in the current release.
              The trigger has zones and you may set mappings to the low zone. In this case, you don't need to pull all the way, The mapping fires as soon as you pass the low zone. On another hand, if you need to limit the trigger's stroke to make you may change the dead zone from the right to the left. The trigger will start working when it is half-pushed, for example, and will reach the max value while you haven't actually reached it.

Does it make sense for this case?

About the Shortcut feature, did you try to use the option provided by reWASDer ?
              Don't worry! Be Happy!

Comment

I've already informed the dev account about the triggers but to give you, Star-Lord, a little more info the Steam Controller has a digital button at the end of the analog trigger. So the Trigger Zones are great for the analog part but the digital press isn't bindable yet in reWASD.

Comment

Hey there!

So, just to make sure we are on the same page.

1. Steam's Trigger works as a trigger + have an additional "click". Those clicks should be added as a separate controls, so there will be +2 mappings in a config. This is a thing we are working on at the moment.

2. Also, it is possible to adjust the Trigger as a Trigger with reWASD: change the input (make a bigger deadzone at the left, and you will avoid accidental presses, make a bigger deadzone at the right — and trigger will go to max value faster, so you do not need to press it completely). The second option is described below:

Click image for larger version  Name:	90e479a2d7.jpg Views:	0 Size:	49.7 KB ID:	220940

Please note that Affect gamepad behavior for games option should be checked if the controller is remapped to the virtual one and is not required if a trigger has a mapping added manually.

3. And now, Zones. If you want to get +1 mapping when you touch the trigger only, you may add to RT/LT Low (the zone list is also shown on the screenshot above).

2 & 3 options are already added in reWASD 5.5, so I would be grateful if you guys could check them

And finally, Shift mode from Steam. Yep, it is a bit different. You may do the same with our Shift mode, but I agree that after years spent with Steam mapper, our one doesn't look the same. We will think how it is possible to add it. Or how to change Shortcuts, because they may include up to 4 buttons, while with Shift mechanics, there are only two. Next challenge is accepted :satisfied:

Comment

Originally Posted by Star-Lord View Post
                    Hello,

Thank you for the detailed explanations and feedback about reWASD! Very pleased to hear these kind words. About Hair Trigger feature, I think you may do it with reWASD in the current release.
                    The trigger has zones and you may set mappings to the low zone. In this case, you don't need to pull all the way, The mapping fires as soon as you pass the low zone. On another hand, if you need to limit the trigger's stroke to make you may change the dead zone from the right to the left. The trigger will start working when it is half-pushed, for example, and will reach the max value while you haven't actually reached it.

Does it make sense for this case?

About the Shortcut feature, did you try to use the option provided by reWASDer?
                    The problem with the method you explained is that I have to leave the low zone in order to be able to activate it again. I'm requesting a trigger style that will allow me to lift up by absolutely any distance (no matter how small) and then immediately press down again to send another input. So let's say I set I have a certain zone set as the "low zone", a "hair trigger" style will allow me to stay within the low zone but still be able to send multiple inputs by lifting and pressing down by however many times I need. In an FPS game, that will allow me to shoot a semi-automatic weapon multiple times in quicker succession compared to if I had to completely leave the low zone before sending another input.

I'm sorry if I'm not being that clear about it... I admit that I was confused too when I was learning all about how to configure the Steam Controller. Just let me know if I need to explain it in another way. It'll be no trouble at all. I really want the Steam Controller feature set for reWASD to be as good as Steam's (or even better).

And regarding the Shortcut feature, I think CriticalComposer explained well why the Shift feature isn't as useful as the feature I described.

And like they said, I recognize that software development isn't always an easy or straightforward task. Hopefully, it's possible to implement all of Steam's own Steam Controller features

Comment

Do you map a mouse click to the Low zone, right?

In this case, you may need to add Turbo:

Click image for larger version

Name:	e3a64df8b1.jpg
Views:	670
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	220959

While you are inside a zone, we do emulate a pressed mapping. If you want to make continuous shots, mouse button should press-released, pressed-released and so on.

Could you please give it a try?

Comment

Turbo doesn't cause a "Hair Trigger" style, though... Yes, I'm looking to shoot as quickly as possible, but I want to control how fast the shooting is. It's different on a case to case basis as I play through a game. In a game like Osu, I have to click circles at a certain pace during one second and then another pace during another second. And in FPS games like Valorant, shooting at a certain speed with one gun can be fine but shooting at the same speed for another gun will cause that gun to become super inaccurate.

Comment

If I understand you correctly, you need different pauses between clicks when you press and trigger slightly and when you pull it harder?

In this case, you can try set Turbo for Low, Med and High zone and change a pause (each next one will have a smaller one).

I am not sure what should be done to make trigger work differently depending on the chosen weapon, because the game decides which weapon is here, and we, as a mapper, have no idea about it.

Comment

The "Hair Trigger" that OP is asking for is basically a two part operation: the trigger binding is activated when crossing a certain threshold (usually something on the lower end like 10%) AND the trigger binding is released with any decrease in trigger output. So bouncing back in forth between 11% and 10% output would result in consecutive, rapid binding activations with very little movement of the player's finger. This works for any percentage above the activation threshold. So if the user pulled the trigger to 50% output, releasing the trigger to anything less than 50% would release the binding and any new increase in trigger output would activate the binding again. It basically looks at relative output rather than absolute. So instead of checking for a static threshold you're checking for increases an decreases relative to highest or lowest output.

With reWASD we can achieve the low threshold for activation with the Zones but in order to release the binding we would have to return the trigger to 0%. Hair Trigger allows multiple manual activations of the binding without completely releasing the trigger.
                            Last edited by CriticalComposer; 20.08.2020, 21:20.

Comment

I'm requesting a feature that's from Steam's configuration options. It's one of their "Soft Pull Trigger Styles" called "Hair Trigger". It allows you to shoot as quickly as possible by allowing you to immediately deactivate the mapped input by letting go of the trigger a little bit. This allows you to shoot quicker since you don't need to fully let go of the trigger before pushing the trigger back in to send another input. The following video explains exactly what it is and what the benefits of it are compared to a normal "trigger style":

If you can, try the "Hair Trigger" style in Steam using any controller. You'll see that you'll be able to shoot semi-automatic weapons in FPS games much quicker since you don't have to move your finger as much. It's personally really hard to use any other trigger style for FPS games since "Hair Trigger" feels so much more intuitive.

Comment

Working...
                              X