Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5.5 Feedback

Gyro
    The gyro has had a huge improvement in 5.5 due to the lower default deadzone (sometimes referred to as a movement threshold) and the ability to remove the deadzone entirely. I played a handful of CSGO matches as well as spent some training in Aim Lab and I'm doing very well with reWASD's gyro aiming (on both the Steam Controller and the Dualshock 4). Something still feels a little "off" but currently I think it has more to do with having not found my perfect settings yet. I put a lot of time into fine tuning Steam Input's and JoyShockMapper's (JSM) gyro and I've only spent a couple of days with reWASD's. With that said, I get the feeling that the reWASD team is focusing on really good "out of the box" gyro. The lack of power user settings mixed with some really solid defaults gives me that impression. And for what it's worth, I think the team did a fantastic job. Simply binding the mouse to the gyro and bumping up the sensitivity a bit provided a really good experience. In fact I'd say it's the best default gyro aiming settings on the market and will definitely help provide a great first impression for people new to gyro. A lower barrier to entry (as far as gyro goes) is something that I think every profiler should aspire to. However I do still feel a bit limited so here is my gyro related feedback.
    • Does reWASD utilize smoothing in the gyro output?
    I couldn't find any user facing setting for smoothing and when I deliberately looked for it in the movement of the mouse cursor in windows I couldn't see any but there is a sort of "heft" -- like a very slight delight -- to the movement that reminds me of smoothing. Sometimes I'm certain that I feel some and other times I'm not sure. Either way, smoothing is a great tool for dialing in a specific feel for gyro aiming and should be a user facing setting regardless. In the very least, the user should be able to disable smoothing if there is some.
    • Calibration
    Either reducing the low end of the Response Curve (basically removing the deadzone) or making repeated sharp movements with the controller results in gyro drift -- where the mouse cursor or camera moves by itself even when the controller is placed on a level surface. This is a common issue with six-axis IMUs, especially ones that don't use external tracking. I left it alone for a minute hoping that some form of automatic calibration would take place but none did so I'm fairly certain that reWASD doesn't have any sort of calibration. Calibration is key to ensuring that the gyro stays accurate over long periods of use. Steam Input utilizes an auto-calibrate that requires the controller stay still for 10 seconds and JSM utilizes a manual one -- just place the controller down, hold the calibrate button to start calibration and release to end it. I'd prefer the manual one but including either (or both) into reWASD would help a ton. Calibration isn't a perfect solution to combat gyro drift but it's the best that I know of and a lot better that utilizing deadzones to remove the erroneous input.

Steam Controller
    I'm going to preface this section by stating that I view the current iteration as more of "we've added the Steam Controller (SC) to our current systems" and less "we're fully supporting the SC." I'll also add that I don't know what the team's goals are for supporting the SC so I might be asking for stuff outside of the team's current scope. The overall support is really good right now though, despite missing some features that are mostly exclusive to the device. I was able to recreate my FPS config (from Steam Input) without any huge alterations so that's really awesome. The most important features that I would look into adding are:
    • Trackball Mode -- This makes the touchpad behave like a trackball when bound to mouse output. When you swipe across the pad the mouse will move in that direction, with a speed based on how fast the swipe was, and will continue to move even after you remove your thumb from the pad. The cursor will eventually slow to a stop based on a friction setting. Think about spinning a trackball mouse and emulate the mouse movement. It's basically a velocity based output (you have a direction and a speed) but you're also detracting from that speed over time until it hits zero. This speed is based on a setting (often called Friction) that determines how strong the slowdown effect is.
    • Dual Stage Triggers -- I'm pretty sure you know this but the SC has a digital button at the end of the analog trigger. This button doesn't appear to be supported in reWASD, at least I couldn't find a place to bind it.
    • Haptic Support -- One thing that a lot SC users rely on is the haptics under the touchpad. As an exercise, go into Steam Input and bind the left pad to Joystick Move with Medium or High Haptics (they broke haptics in a recent version so I don't know which one of these is currently better for feeling this). As you move your thumb across the pad you can "feel" the emulated joystick. There is a satisfying "thunk" when you reach maximum output as well. The haptics aren't actually great at simulating traditional rumble but they are really good for minute physical feedback like this. In fact, the haptic actuators in the SC are the same "HD Rumble" found in the JoyCons that everyone praises for its phenomenal physical presence -- like the infamous "feeling how many ice cubes are in a glass" minigame from 1-2 Switch. Additionally the DualSense will be using Haptic Actuators rather than rumble motors so getting a head-start on properly supporting this tech will pay off in the long run.
    Otherwise, as I said, the SC support is really good so far and I love the way the touchpad bindings are set-up. I don't currently see the SC power users making the jump yet but this current version of reWASD provides enough tools for your average user to get by without many complaints (especially once Trackball and Dual Stage Triggers get supported). Additionally, I'd say that reWASD has a strong chance of replacing GloSC in the SC community. GloSC is a third party tool to get the Steam Controller running through ViGEm rather than Steam's injected XInput process. It's a bit tedious and cumbersome and reWASD is a fantastic tool for getting general XInput support into the Steam Controller.

Small Request
    Can we see the 8-Way binding option on the SC's touchpads ported to joysticks? It's such a good feature and is much better than using shortcuts, which require the diagonal directions be pressed exactly, rather than being able to rotate the joystick in a circle to hit all 8 bindings. My plan for this is to create weapon wheel for older FPS titles (Duke 3D, Blood, Quake, etc) and the 8-Way on the touchpad works perfectly for this. I'd love to be able to do the same on the DualShock 4's Right Joystick.

DS4
    I love the light bar options. For Doom 3 (classic, not BFG) I've already made the Main Configuration's light bar set as turned off and when I press the button to equip the flashlight the config switches to Shift 1 where I have a yellow light bar. Any weapon swap binding returns to Main Configuration, disabling the light bar again. It adds a lot of ambiance by having the light "really turn on" in the real world as well. Sometimes it's the little things in the config that bring me joy

Manual Setting Values
    Thanks so much for these. Being able to see the value of a slider and input specific values is a massive help! That's really all I have to say about that.

Conclusion
    The gyro is really great out of the box -- and I applaud the team for finding that combination of settings -- but as a power user I'd like just a couple more settings to play with: calibration and smoothing. I've official made the switch from using JSM+reWASD to just using reWASD and it feels great to have a single profiler and not have to worry about using HIDGuardian for troublesome games. Plus games like Valorant can finally be played with gyro aiming since the reWASD Virtual Controller is the best on the market. Additionally, the SC support is off to a great start and hopefully we'll see a few more features added to it now that the core features are implemented. I don't expect every Steam Input feature to show up in reWASD but I'd like to see it become an actual competitor to Steam Input for Steam Controller users. Finally, thanks for the little features! The light bar stuff and the manual values and the tray agent charging/usb icons and the separate zone mappings. The reWASD team, every single person, is amazing and you continue to make an awesome software! To end this massive post I've included a small list of bugs that I've found.

Bugs
    • The selectable regions on the Gyro don't match up with the UI. Up and Down bleed into Left and Right and you have to move pretty far on the X-axis to get Left and Right to trigger. I'm using the default window size and don't have any UI Scaling in Windows so I think this is a reproducible bug.
    • In the Virtual Devices area, the Up/Down arrows in the Mouse Sensitivity Manual Settings box move the value by 16 instead of 1. This affects the Sensitivity, Acceleration, Initial Speed, and Scroll Speed.
    • I just noticed that the description boxes for the DS4 D-Pad and Gryo aren't aligned to the line that goes between the controller overlay and the text box. With the joysticks I can assign a description to the Left Binding and it lines up with the indicator line but the same doesn't happen with the the D-Pad/Gyro -- it is aligned between two direction's description. If this doesn't make sense let me know and I'll provide pictures to better clarify.

Hey there!

Wow, we are extremely happy to get such a detailed feedback. And we are more than happy to see that you liked the new version. That is truly important for us, thank you so much

I will try to respond pretty quickly.

• Does reWASD utilize smoothing in the gyro output?
    Yes, it does. We can add this thing as an optional parameter and let you choose the strength. Consider this suggestion is taken into account

• Calibration
    We do understand that reWASD misses this feature, and it has a pretty high priority in our to-do list. Will try to make it happen in one of the upcoming releases.

Trackball Mode
    Dual Stage Triggers
    Yes, we do know about those things. We will be working on the implementation of both. The additional trigger mapping will be added to GameCube and Steam controllers pretty soon, no worries.

Haptic Support
    Pretty funny thing but this one is a bit more complicated that it may seem. We are researching the way how to use it, stay tuned!

Can we see the 8-Way binding option on the SC's touchpads ported to joysticks?
    Sure. Will try to make it too.

The selectable regions on the Gyro don't match up with the UI. Up and Down bleed into Left and Right and you have to move pretty far on the X-axis to get Left and Right to trigger. I'm using the default window size and don't have any UI Scaling in Windows so I think this is a reproducible bug.
    This happens because of the limitations of the SVG images we use. We will think how it may be fixed, not sure at the moment.

In the Virtual Devices area, the Up/Down arrows in the Mouse Sensitivity Manual Settings box move the value by 16 instead of 1. This affects the Sensitivity, Acceleration, Initial Speed, and Scroll Speed.
    It's a known issue already, will be fixed pretty soon.

I just noticed that the description boxes for the DS4 D-Pad and Gryo aren't aligned to the line that goes between the controller overlay and the text box. With the joysticks I can assign a description to the Left Binding and it lines up with the indicator line but the same doesn't happen with the the D-Pad/Gyro -- it is aligned between two direction's description. If this doesn't make sense let me know and I'll provide pictures to better clarify.
    I'm sorry but yes, I need a picture. Not sure if I get you right.

And finally, thanks a lot for your positive feedback about LED settings and Manual values. We are so happy to know that it makes your gameplay a bit better.

Comment

Thanks for the full response! I'm excited to hear that some of this stuff is already on the to-do list. As for that final issue, here are some pictures to help demonstrate. In the first picture you can see that the yellow lines coming off of the joysticks line up perfectly with the Left Binding Name. For the Gyro and D-Pad though, the yellow line sits between the Down and Left Binding Names. So for instances where I want to attribute a single Binding Name to the Input Source -- such as "Movement" or "Camera Control" -- I'll assign just a single Binding Name to the Left direction and end up with a very clean look, as seen in the second picture. At least it's a clean look with the joysticks. This is mostly an OCD thing and doesn't affect the software at all but I'd really like for one of the Binding Names to line up with the yellow line coming off of the D-Pad and Gyro.

Click image for larger version

Name:	example_all.png
Views:	688
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	220917
      Click image for larger version

Name:	example_uses.png
Views:	669
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	220918

Comment

Oh, I see.

It happens because Gyro and D-pad has 4 controls while Sticks have 5 controls. The best way to make it look perfectly is to add 4 descriptions instead of one.

I understand that it doesn't sound as a solution, but at the moment, we just have no ideas how to fix it in our current architecture, sorry

Comment

No worries! Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Originally Posted by CriticalComposer View Post
            Trackball Mode
            Trackball mode is finally here — please check reWASD 6.2.1 to see how it works!

Comment

Working...
            X