Device Passthrough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Device Passthrough

Hello. I would like to suggest implementing functionality that either allows reWASD to run alongside similar remapping programs without inhibiting their functionality, or provides an option to release control of specified devices—perhaps a sort of passthrough function.

My memory is a bit fuzzy, but I believe before gyro functionality was introduced, I was able to use reWASD in conjunction with DS4Windows—oddly though, if any Left Stick advanced settings were modified, this wouldn't work. With reWASD, while deploying an XInput virtual device, the physical device would remain unhidden to provide gyro motion data to other programs via DS4Window's UDP server. Currently, this is not possible as DS4Windows does not recognize any controller input. I'm guessing that since DS4Windows utilizes ViGEmBus Driver, it conflicts with reWASD's hidgamemap.

I have found that this issue can be avoided by stopping the reWASD service. For convenience, I wrote a PowerShell script that is invoked via a desktop shortcut—it detects whether the service is running or stopped, and acts accordingly. So, it's not a huge issue for me if this request is impossible to implement. Also, I would just like to say that I am a huge fan of this software. I have been a user for over a year and am very impressed by the accomplishments achieved with each iteration. I always look forward to the next release.

Hello,

Thank you for your suggestion, but reWASD works with DS4Win without collisions. At least, we haven't received complaints about described cases. Are any changes to re-install the ViGEmBus Driver to attempt reproducing the issue again?
    Don't worry! Be Happy!

Comment

Thank you for the response. I reinstalled ViGEm, and I can see that all button presses are recognized in DS4Windows—awesome! However, this is only when the physical device is hidden; otherwise, my previous issue is reproduced, which is fine. The only caveat is that gyro motion is not recognized. Could this be the result of reWASD not releasing control of the controller's gyro? Would it be possible to implement a feature like gyro passthrough? Thanks again.

Comment

Hello,

It seems that you create a virtual DS4 in reWASD that doesn't have the gyro emulation yet. So, the DS4win doesn't detect the gyro inputs. We have plans to add gyro support to the virtual controller one of the next releases. Xbox controller (Xinput) doesn't have as well.

If uncheck the "Hide physical while virtual is created" option, the system sees 2 controllers, and the gyro works with a physical one, but it's not good as the game detects both controllers as well, that could make some collisions. So, for now, I would recommend using the reWASD gyro aside 3rd party software.

Besides, we brought lots of gyro improvements in ver. 5.5.1, so, it's worth a shot.
        Don't worry! Be Happy!

Comment

Oh, so gyro simply isn't emulated in the virtual device yet. And the detection of both the physical and virtual device in DS4Windows is causing collision. That makes sense. Thank you for the explanation.

I noticed one more thing: when I turn off remap for my controller, as expected, DS4Windows only recognizes the physical device since there is no virtual device. However, no button/gyro input is being detected. Can you explain what could be happening in this case? Could there still be traces of the virtual device around causing collision? As explained earlier, stopping the reWASD service appears to be the only way to have the physical device's input recognized in DS4Windows.

Thank you.
          Last edited by JSway06; 30.09.2020, 08:57.

Comment

Hello,
            Thank you for the reply.

Does the gyro/ buttons work in the reWASD? Check the DS4Win, everything is working no matter turn remap ON or OFF (https://recordit.co/YalVMeUiCO). Have you tried simply to re-launch the software?

Is the controller plugged wireless?
            Don't worry! Be Happy!

Comment

The controller is connected wirelessly. I can confirm that the gyro/buttons work in reWASD. I tried with relaunching DS4Windows and even reWASD, but the issue persists. The virtual device buttons are detected until remap is turned off. However, there was one moment when I thought I got it to work: The DS4 LED changed to DS4Window's default color, and for a split-second, gyro was detected and the input delay was reported as over 8000 ms; these values then remained the same. Now I can't figure out how to get it to do this again.

Thanks for the video demonstration, that was very helpful. It's really satisfying to see it work—I even saw that the gyro was being detected. That gives me hope that my issue can be remedied. I must have something misconfigured somewhere or something else installed causing interference. I may try uninstalling, then reinstalling DS4Windows and reWASD as a first step. I would like to avoid reinstalling Windows. Besides, I can wait for gyro emulation to be featured in a future release.

I have a MacBook Pro with a Windows 10 Bootcamp partition. I'm going to test it there to see if I can get it to work correctly and/or reproduce the issue—I've been looking for an excuse to purchase another reWASD license. If I come across anything noteworthy, I will report back with my findings.

Thank you for your time. I really appreciate it.

Comment

Hello,
                Thank you for your feedback. Yes, it seems that the issue with DS4Window, apparently the software can't detect the plugged controller. No issues from the reWASD side.

By the way, what don't you use the reWASD gyro? Since the ver. 5.5.1 the gyro was improved, so maybe you give a chance to try?
                Don't worry! Be Happy!

Comment

I do use reWASD gyro, mainly for desktop navigation with gyro mouse. It's a great way to move the mouse quickly across a TV screen. I plan to eventually use it for First Person Shooters—the Halo Master Chief Collection is calling me.

I only use DS4Windows for its UDP server, which provides gyro motion data to other programs. I'm very big on game console emulation and there are some emulators that take advantage of this functionality—Cemu (Wii U), Citra (Nintendo 3DS) and recently Yuzu (Nintendo Switch), to name a few. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild in Cemu is spectacular with a DS4 controller and all the bells and whistles the emulator has to offer.

Comment

Hello,

Why don't you use gyro reWASD directly for the console emulators? Are there advantages using the gyro your way instead directly with reWASD?

Sorry for the questions, want to understand the use case.
                    Don't worry! Be Happy!

Comment

No worries about the questions, I am happy to provide answers.

Since the console emulators don't have anything implemented to directly read DS4 controller gyro/accelerometer data, they rely on a UDP server to feed them the data. For instance, by default, DS4Windows will send input via IP 127.0.0.1 at port 26760. The emulators will listen at that port and receive the raw motion data, which is output as the emulated console's controller motion—I think that's how it works.

There are several other device-dedicated programs out there that serve as a UDP client, of which include support for Switch Pro Controllers, Joycons, Wii Remotes, Steam Controllers and even Android phones. Now that I think about, I guess a UDP server would be a pretty cool feature for reWASD, if possible.

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for your detailed feedback, we do appreciate it.
                        Don't worry! Be Happy!

Comment

No problem. Thank you for taking the time to listen.

Update 1 [10/03/2020]
                          When writing the above posts it was always at night after work, and my tired brain must not have picked up on this part you had written: "Yes, it seems that the issue with DS4Window, apparently the software can't detect the plugged controller." And before that, you had asked if the controller is plugged or wireless. So that got me thinking, I should see if it works plugged in—and it does! No matter how I configure the virtual device, the physical device's gyro is always detected in DS4Windows.

I think my next move will be to bring this to the attention of the developer(s) of DS4Windows for any insight and/or potential fix. Also, I'm still going to test if this issue can be reproduced on my MacBook Pro when I get the chance.

Update 2 [10/04/2020]
                          I tested on my MacBook Pro's Windows 10 partition, and the same issue can be replicated: When connected wirelessly, the physical DS4 device's input cannot be detected. I am currently reporting as an issue on DS4Windows' GitHub.

Thanks again for the explanations and the insight—very much appreciated.
                          Last edited by JSway06; 04.10.2020, 11:32.

Comment

I am pleased to announce that with the release of reWASD 5.6.0, the functionality I had once enjoyed has been restored. Wirelessly connected DS4 devices are fully functional in DS4Windows when the physical controller is unhidden. This not only allows DS4Windows UDP server gyro functionality, but also simultaneous access to any remapped buttons and shift modifier mappings in reWASD. Thank you reWASD team for all of your work.

Comment

Hello, JSway06,

Thank you for your feedback. Have a great gaming experience.
                              Don't worry! Be Happy!

Comment

Working...
                              X