reWASD *really* needs a proper desktop profile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reWASD *really* needs a proper desktop profile

I have seen many threads on the forum from confused users who find the default way to set up a desktop profile, well, confusing. I think at the moment this is the single most important feature which almost makes reWASD unusable for desktop + games bindings. Or it's usable, but you just have to endure the pain of adding "desktop" programs every time or think of clever ways to mitigate this broken feature (btw, I found a way to almost make it work as it should, but it still has an issue). And no, recommending to add explorer.exe and SearchUI.exe is not a solution, but a mitigation at best.

I really have high hopes for this program because the it has got the low-level/backend stuff better than all other similar programs. It can completely block off native inputs, it can map buttons which other programs do not even recognize, it can use controller features that are only available on consoles, it can even work on the lock screen and in UAC prompts, it can even remap your mouse and keyboard buttons if they don't already have powerful enough configuration software. Many good things can be said about the backend side. Unfortunately, it's not the same when it comes to some UI and feature designs.

Prime example: the default/fallback/desktop profile. This really should be defined by exclusion and not by inclusion of "all" desktop apps. It was said by others too, but I feel it hasn't gotten the attention it needs. The profile for a game(s) should only be active when that game is in focus and in all other cases, the "default" profile should be active. And while we're at it, I think active slot should not always be set to slot1 when switching apps within the list associated with the profile.

I'm not sure how your licensing works and if you offer upgrades for major version releases, but I think I might even buy this app again if a proper desktop profile is implemented in v6.

reWASD has a lot of potential and I really want to see it top the competitors, but features like this and some poor UX design choices prevent it from happening.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk!
    Last edited by AniRayn; 05.10.2020, 21:10.

Hey there!

Your suggestion is taken into account, we will definitely do our best in the next reWASD versions.

At the moment, I would suggest you the following:
    1. Uncheck Remove applied config from slot on exit from the associated app option in Preferences -> Tray agent
    2. Add explorer.exe and SearchUI.exe apps to the desktop config
    3. Adjust Autodetect for the games you use (adding the correct *.exe of the game and it's launcher)

How will this work? Each time you switch to the game, the appropriate config starts working. Each time you switch to any other app, you actually use SearchUI.exe or explorer.exe to do so, and the desktop config will be activated. As for "Remove applied config from slot on exit" is off, the desktop config will continue working regardless of the app you switch to after.

I hope this will work as a temporary solution :satisfied:

Comment

• AniRayn
      AniRayn commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey, just bumping this thread after some time has passed. Is a "proper" desktop profile still somewhere on the horizon?

That is precisely the workaround that I have found too. Just have to make sure to include enough apps into the Desktop profile so that when I'm back from a game it always activates the desired profile. I'm saying this because I'm not sure if explorer or SearchUI are always the apps Windows focuses on after exiting a game.

I'm really looking forward to future releases then

Comment

Hello!

The "global" (or common) desktop config is not implemented yet. Would be happy to let you know once it happens, but at the moment, I don't have any ETA about this feature. Stay tuned for the updates!

Comment

I agree, this features is sorely needed. I am contemplating using Steam to map my deskop functionality rather than reWASD at this point.

Comment

Hello!

We are mindful of this request, but at the moment there is no ETA.​

Comment

Working...
          X