Gyro as Joystick needs more

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gyro as Joystick needs more

I've been using a PS4 controller with your lovely program for about a week now to play shooters with Gyro assisted aiming and am loving it. My only complaint is having to use a games mouse and keyboard UI. I tried playing with just a virtual Xbox controller with the Gyro set to the right joystick but this method left the gyros movements stinted and awkward like it could only move vertically or horizontally individually and it wasn't anywhere near as smooth as the gyro to mouse setup. After some digging I found that Steam has an answer to this that I think ReWASD could really use. Steam has a mode called Mouse Joystick that does as the picture says and it feels exactly like a mouse after some tweaking and I get to use the Gamepad UI while I play.

Any chance of having something like being implanted?Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	876
Size:	334.2 KB
ID:	222090

Hello!

Could you please try to check Tilt mode with mapping to the stick in reWASD? Does it feel better?

Something like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	7831803e40.jpg
Views:	919
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	222096

Comment

I've tried tilt mode, Unfortunately that still leaves the stiff feeling while aiming unlike setting the gyro to mouse but it also only seems to work with roll and I preferer Yaw. The Gyro feature works beautifully while set to mouse but when set to Stick it doesn't seem to mouse as smoothly (that being an understatement).

Comment

Hm, have you tried tweaking the Response with Gyro mode?

Also, the same suggestion Steam has: try to make the stick sensitivity for camera higher in the game settings.

Comment

I tweaked the Response Curve and that did help a bit. Hopefully some more preset response curves and customizing the amount of smoothing for gyro controls will help in the future.

Comment

Great news!

We are planning to add more curves there, but at the moment it is better to stick to the Custom one.

Comment

Hello, i also notice that the gyroscope to stick mode lacks precision in weak movements, compared to steam. The gyroscope seems to ignore values that are too low unlike steam (may be an option to correct this in the future).

But i also see the same thing with the touchpad to stick mode of my steam controller, the movements too weak are ignored, it gives jerks.

Maybe the problem is not with the gyroscope but with the data conversion of weak movements to the stick, i don't know...

Comment

Hello!

Please check for updates on Preferences -> General tab. With the latest version, we have added gyro center calibration that will certainly help make the weak movements more accurate.

Calibrate the gyro manually and then check it again please. Here is the link how to do it.

Also, Gyro in reWASD has lots of settings. In case you feel that it doesn't work consistently on weak movements, ensure that you have set the lowest deadzone and check your Response curve on Advanced tab.

Comment

I tested what you advised me, but i still have the same result.

What is the best response curve for doing this ?

Comment

Response curve is a personal thing, you should try different things to find the one that is suitable for you.

With all the latest changes we have done, we read all Gyro data directly and remap it to the things you have chosen. I would kindly ask you to try different modes, settings, commands to find the best values you want. There are pretty many of them actually. You can learn more about them here.

Comment

Hello, i have redone tests with different configurations, extremely slow movements are always ignored. I thought to myself maybe my steam controller has a problem.

I tested the mouse in right stick mode and also the extremely slow movements are aslo ignored, is it the same with you ?

Comment

Hm, that is strange. According to all our tests, all slow movements are detected. Could you please check your deadzone? It may be a chance that it is not minimal, and so some turns are ignored.

Comment

Working...
                        X