Possible default registry value change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible default registry value change

Hi, not sure if this would make a difference, but it seemed to fix an issue for me. I was having problems with the software shutting down when trying to open the main ReWASD window (i.e. if it was minimized to tray), and the program could not seem to start the Game Controller Mapping Service. Searched through the forums for the error codes I was getting, and eventually found a post that mentioned putting a registry entry in quotations, due to the way Windows works. Tried this with the following key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Disc Soft\reWASD\Path]

and after adding the quotation marks, the software was able to successfully start the service properly. Since I don't believe this should realistically create any issues, this might be a good change in a future update to have set by default.

If things seem to stop working again, I'll keep looking around, but hopefully this change will make the software stop terminating itself.

Hello!

Thanks for the post, that is great to know that your issue is solved now.

Could you please give me a bit more details about your system? Do you have the default app's path or have you changed it during the installation?

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

Currently running Windows 10 Pro, build 19041.685, was a fresh install about 6 months ago. AMD Ryzen 3700x, 32GB of RAM, OS is installed on a 1TB SSD.

Installation path for reWASD is the default, C:\Program Files\reWASD. My user account is currently set as an administrator account, so shouldn't normally be a permissions issue. The issue began (I believe) with either the 5.5 or 5.5.1 update for me, but that could have just been a coincidence - it was after the first software update from when I did my Windows install; the initial installation of the reWASD software after installing Windows seemed to work fine.

Even while I was actively having the issue, reWASD itself would technically work fine in the background. It would launch at startup, and I could open the main window to remap devices. As long as I left the software alone afterwards, it would basically function as one would normally expect. Generally after 15-20 minutes of having the computer on, though, if I tried opening the main window, or if another application on my computer crashed, reWASD itself would crash. Trying to reopen the software would give me an error stating the Game Controller Mapping Service was not started, asking me to start it, which would fail (I believe with an error code of -1). Manually trying to start the service through the services.msc window, or running the reWASDService.exe (both as normal and as administrator) did nothing. Rebooting the computer would again temporarily fix the issue, until the computer had been powered on for a bit.

I've uploaded the event logs from both the Application and System sections during one of the software crashes, as well as the last dump file that the software created, for further reference.
      Attached Files

Comment

Okay, bit of an update. Not sure if this post will need to be moved to another part of the forum, or if I should make a new post, since the original suggestion does technically solve at least one problem. The registry change did fix the issue of reWASD not starting up after a crash.

However, looks like it might be at least two of the games I am currently playing that are causing some kind of issue. Specifically, the games are Genshin Impact, and Dauntless.

For Genshin Impact, when the game is open, reWASD will function normally both in the background or if the remapping window is actively displayed and not minimized to the tray. However, if reWASD is minimized to the tray prior to or while having the game open, attempting to show the reWASD window will immediately crash the software.

For Dauntless, the same thing occurs as above. In addition, though, once reWASD crashes, I get an error when trying to reopen the software: "C:\Program Files\reWASD\reWASDTray.exe Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." As soon as the game is closed, reWASD will start and open just fine.

Dauntless uses Easy Anti-Cheat software. Genshin appears to use a proprietary kernel level anti-cheat software, that looks to have a filename of mhyprot2.sys.

I've uploaded the two different sections of the event logs for the crashes during Genshin Impact, as well as those from Dauntless. Let me know if there's any other logs that would be useful.
        Attached Files

Comment

Hey there!

Thanks for the details! The log files refer to the system issues, but I am not sure how it may happen.
          The Windows error about access tells about some system restrictions. There are official methods provided by MS to resolve the problem. I would also recommend checking the permission of the C:\Program Files\reWASD. It has to be full control. Also, please check and disable the antiviruses or security software installed and running on your PC.

Also, please, collect a few more logs for us once you see the crash with a game. The steps are described here, Logging with tracetext section. Try to catch the crash once the logging is on for the tray agent.

Comment

Okay, I figured a few things out, at least.

Other than the original issue with the Path entry in the registry, the permissions for the reWASD folder/executables should be okay. The Administrator group and the SYSTEM group both had full control of the folder/files by default, and my user account is set as an administrator. Just in case, I gave the Users group and TrustedInstaller group Full Control access as well to the folder/subfolders/files.

Looks like it's definitely some kind of interaction with my antivirus software, as well as the anti-cheat software. Opening the reWASD window while the anti-virus software is shut down/paused and either Genshin Impact or Dauntless is running works fine, it doesn't crash the software. Other games that I play that do not use anti-cheat software also work fine, both with the anti-virus on or off.

I use the free version of Kaspersky Security Cloud. Adding both reWASD.exe and reWASDTray.exe to the exclusions list, as well as the Trusted Applications list with the "Do not monitor application activity," "Do not inherit restrictions from the (application's) parent process," "Do no monitor the activity of child applications," and the last options' sub option "Apply exclusion recursively" seems to allow the reWASD window to usually open properly while Genshin Impact is running, even with the rest of the anti-virus software fully active. It still seems to crash after trying to open the window a few times, usually anywhere between 3 and 8 times, but in general it seems to be working okay for that game, now.

Dauntless is still proving to be troublesome. I've added every executable I could find for that game to the Kaspersky exceptions list, as well as the executable for the Easy Anti-Cheat software. I also added the reWASDService.exe with the above options checked. Trying to open the reWASD window while the game is running continues to crash the reWASD software.

Also, after reWASD crashes, both games exhibit slightly different situations if I keep the game running. With Genshin Impact, I can relaunch reWASD just fine while the game is running, and it will work as above. With Dauntless open, the system throws an access error when trying to relaunch reWASD while the game is running. Even if I disable the antivirus software at this point, it still throws the access error.

I've uploaded the tracetext logs from both games with the antivirus software off, as well as the logs of the crashes with the software on, both before and after adding everything to the Exclusions/Trusted Applications lists in the antivirus software.
            Attached Files

Comment

Hello!

Thank you for the logs. We will try to reproduce the same conditions from our side and check how to fix this issue.
              Will be happy to let you know once we have any news.

Comment

Hello there!

The issue with Kaspersky was fixed in the reWASD 5.7 version. Please feel free to check it out!

It is available for download from our official website.

Comment

Working...
                X