Multi button shift modifier suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multi button shift modifier suggestion

Hello, First off I want to kiss some ass and say thank you for an excellent program. I recently switched from joy to key to rewasd. Having a few growing pains in the process but I am figuring it out and am overall really enjoying my experience with rewasd.

However one feature feels a bit lacking for me, and that is the lack of combined keys to act as a shift modifier. For example, I would like to use LT + RT at the same time as one shift modifier, while using LT and RT as two other individual shift modifiers. Currently, I don't think this is possible as I seem to be able to only be able to use one or another at any given time, this is a feature I use often in joy to key.

I don't want to compare your program against another but I think at this time Rewasd and j2k are the best programs for controller remapping and Rewasd has a lot more fine-tuning that is taking me a while to get use to but after about eight hours of trial and error, it feels better than my j2k setup in some aspects but still worse in others.

I am able to navigate around this a bit begrudgingly using Xbox elite paddles, but I am not a huge fan of using more than one paddle on each side as I "misclick" easily or fat finger two paddles. This is the major function that is making it hard for me to do a full switch to rewasd and convince my friends to use it as well. I love the chat pad support and the intricacy you guys offer in your program and that is what made me make the switch. I would love to be able to use multi-press shift modifiers in the future. I was wondering if this was being looked into or if it was possible?

I am unsure if this is something already being looked at and I apologize if I am beating a dead horse. I use a lot of shift modifiers in an outdated MMO I play that works poorly with mouse and keyboard, rewasd and other keyboards to controller mapping utilities have opened up a lot more option for me. Sorry about the rantings, I tend to express my thoughts in rants and text walls.

Thank you for your time, looking forward to reading your response(s).

Hey there!

Thanks a lot for your kind words

We do plan to extend the functionality for the Shift mode, and yes, the idea to use Shortcut as a modifier is in our to-do list too. However, I won't promise any fast solutions, we need to make big architectural refactoring in order to make it happen. Stay tuned!

Comment

One other thing, if it's okay that I piggyback off of this post. I am noticing some very obvious input lag, the game I use this the most in is very timing-based, and I am missing a lot of precise button hits to input delay. I have tried to use Single press and I get a delay, I tried to add press start and it causes unnecessary double presses when tied with a single press mapping, Aswell as being even more delayed when I have it set to only press start. I am using the turbo function on long press, set to default 300ms to start long press command.

The game I am playing is Phantasy Star Universe but it's so niched I am unsure if that's relevant information for you.

link to config profile for reference.
      Download PSU TEST Xbox controls to remap gamepad on PC. PSU TEST key bindings are the custom config to map controller to keyboard.

Comment

The lag you notice may be caused by activators. In order reWASD to be able to distinguish Single and Long press, we need some amount of time (300 ms by default, but you can change this value in Preferences). When both activators are on for some button, Single Press will be emulated if you release this button. So if you press and release it quickly, your mapping will fire immediately.

Start Press is a cool idea here. You should remove the mapping from Single Press and add it to Start Press instead. But, as you may understand, this mapping will be fired always, if you press a button or if you press it and held until Long Press time is finished. However, if it is set to Start Press only (without Single Press), you won't get the doubled input.

Comment

I noticed without "single press", "start press" had more delay than just "single press" alone. Maybe I need to do some further testing, tbh I got frustrated trying to get rid of the delay and stopped using rewasd till I decided I wanted to do more troubleshooting. Other than that I could honestly live without the two input modifiers for a while, but this game is so time precise input delay makes it unplayable when trying to achieve a higher level of gameplay. I haven't given up on rewasd as it has so many other better functions but I have spent probably 8-12 hours working on making that config work with the game just right, and it's still giving me hell.

Comment

Do you measure the delay? Any app for measuring it?

Comment

yes the delay, I do not have a capable way to measure it outside of feel, I have played this game for a long time and there is a noticeable difference when using this program.

I am not saying there isn't a way to get 0 delays but I have yet to figure it out. I am unsure if it is the way the button presses are emulated or if I am just missing a key detail to make it all seamless.

Comment

Well, this is kinda strange because our software usually provides the lowest input delay possible, as we are sending the output immediately after the input was made.

Still, make sure you don't have any other mapping software installed and do some testing with latency measure software. Just to compare it with reWASD and without it.

Comment

do you have a latency measure software you recommend? I have Joytokey on my PC but it is not running while using ReWASD. Though if I can't figure out the latency issue I will probably use ReWASD in tandem with JtK for chat pad feature.I will do some further testing soon and get back to you. I truly appreciate the timely responses and willingness to help. This program has been a bit of a growing pain for me but I know it's damn good and if I can sort out this latency issue I can finally drop Joytokey and use ReWASD alone.

Comment

Not sure if I could recommend you any software to check the latency. Also, still have no idea how you get it with Start Press only. Other activators do have a small delay that allows them to work together, but Start Press always fires immediately. Could you please send me your config with those changes again?

You can send a file if you do not want to share it to the community. Your configs are stored here by default: C:\Users\Public\Documents\reWASD\Profiles
                    ​​​​​​​I need the correspondent *.rewasd file.

Comment

https://www.rewasd.com/community/con...57efe7ca91b0dd I am having to press the button two or three times sometimes just to get it to fire off in-game, running as admin. This issue is midigated some when I have "single Press" as well but it just sends the input twice a lot as well. Again I am using this to play a game called Phantasy Star Universe.

Comment

https://www.rewasd.com/community/con...3475f4a622d859 is what i am using in the videos below otherwise the input would not be detected by the third party input overlay due to the buttons being "unmapped"

If you watch carefully you will see input go off on the controller and no action in-game. When the input does fire you will see it both on the controller and in-game on the bottom right next to where it says attack there will be an orb(unless it is a long press which is used once in this video demonstrating it working properly causing multiple attacks in quick succession). You will also notice when a yellow orb surrounds my character, that is a perfectly timed attack. This is next to impossible to achieve consistency with this setup. This overlay is not perfect (free software, never done anything like this before either) but I also kept my mic on so you could hear the button click when I pressed

Testing X button mapped to Home (basic attack)
                        ​​​​​​​https://youtu.be/_iYV-BUTlzA

Testing A button mapped to Enter
                        Attached Files

Comment

I am having to keep adding posts since I have to wait for my post to be approved to even edit them. I understand the approval but if I am waiting on approval anyway I should be able to edit the post that is currently in limbo to keep all of the information neat and in one post.

I just wanted to state I have attempted this on two different controllers and had a friend who also plays this game, test it on his end with the same results.

*Edit now that I am able to haha-

I also want to say, thank you guys for going through this with me. I am by no means intending to come off rude, and I hope that isn't the case. I am a bit annoyed with how much time I have had to put into the program but I choose to do that as I want it to work as other than these hiccups I would prefer to use ReWASD, trying not to give up on it but I am honestly starting to feel a bit unhopeful. Thanks again for your time.
                          Last edited by Enraged Potato; 05.01.2021, 06:34.

Comment

In your config, you are using both a virtual controller and keyboard mappings. I think the game switches between inputs and this may cause a significant delay.

I would suggest you to remove all virtual controller mappings (on paddles and d-pad) and remap all other controls to the corresponding mouse-keyboard actions and add "Unmap All".

As for the issue with editing, unfortunately, this is the limitation vBulletin has. There is no option to let users edit their posts until they are approved.

Comment

Hmm I’ll have to try that tho do you have any suggestions to make WASD on left joystick feel more rigid on the movement than using virtual joystick input.

also I don’t ever need to use and face buttons at the same time I use d-pad and it would be easier for me to not have to mess with the game .ini file for me to use this. If I leave that alone do you see it causing input delay since it is never really used within quick succession with the face buttons or left joystick. (It’s mostly for menu navigation.)

Comment

Working...
                              X