Add support for Elgato Stream Deck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add support for Elgato Stream Deck

Hi everyone. I would like to create complex and reusable key combos. Right now I do simulate several controller combos by remapping keyboard keys, however it would be truly amazing if we could have an official plugin for the Elgato Stream Deck to fire these combos.

My main purpose is to drive the virtual thumb sticks, press some virtual controller buttons and execute shortcuts which would drive a camera in the game and send signals to OBS. All that lets me use reWASD as a programming tool to simplify recording some video game footage. I don't remap any keys to actually execute game macros as I like to play fair, but I'm thrilled by being able to off-load some of the complex work to macros to create great scenery shots.
    Last edited by Knight_Breaker; 29.01.2021, 16:57.

Hello!

Pretty interesting request :ghost_pink_8bit:

How is this device reported to the system? Can you change the buttons to other keys? I assume it is something like a media keyboard?

Comment

One more thing. In the long term I would like to use my Stream Deck only on my Mac and have a dual computer setup. There are tools to send hot-key commands from one computer to another which is totally double for my workflow, but the reWASD software would still need a way to capture this input somehow.

That said, it would be great if there was the ability to listen to specific hot-keys in reWASD, then there wouldn't be any need for an explicit Stream Deck plugin as you can already create any hot-key commands you want with it.

---

- How is this device reported to the system?
      I'm currently not using Windows, what exactly do you need me to find out?

- Can you change the buttons to other keys?
      You can do a lot with it, not only program hotkeys and hotkeys switches.

- I assume it is something like a media keyboard?
      Media triggers are also supported, but that's probably not what you asked about?

Comment

Wow, truly exciting use case.

At the moment, it would be awesome if you could connect this device to Windows machine with reWASD and collect some logs for us. Here are the steps:
        1. Run reWASD as Administrator: right-click reWASD icon or shortcut and choose Run as Administrator
        2. Allow reWASD to make changes to your device
        3. Disconnect Stream Deck (and other gamepads if you have them) from your PC.
        4. reWASD opens. Now open Preferences, and click Start log in the lower left corner
        5. Connect Stream Deck again and wait a few seconds
        6. Open Preferences again and press Stop log
        7. Choose Open file location to proceed to the folder
        8. Choose the archive that was created the last, and send it here

Comment

Thank you for your assistance. I will try to do that in a bit.

Before I let reWASD capture data from my computer, are there any logs that could contain any private information that I might want to filter out (manually) as it's probably not needed anyway?!

Comment

Hi there,

No private information. Technical info only, related to device.
            Don't worry! Be Happy!

Comment

Okay fingers crossed. Here is the log. I did the step like above and also pressed 3 pre-programmed hot-key buttons on the stream deck which should trigger F14 - F16 keys.
              Attached Files

Comment

So as said in one of the above posts, it would be great if reWASD could listen to hot-keys which would create a generalized way to opt into virtual controller input. It doesn't have to be the Stream Deck in particular, it could be a midi controller with a lot of programmable buttons.

Thank you for the help, lets see what you guys can implement.

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for logs. Will check them and back to you with updates.
                  Don't worry! Be Happy!

Comment

Hey there! We have checked the logs, thanks for the information! We will need this device at our office to research what is possible to do. Could you please specify which exact version do you have?

Comment

Thank you for the effort. I have the Elgato Stream Deck XL (software version 4.9.2.13193). I really don't want to bother you guys, just want to reiterate it one more time. The easiest way to cover my whole use case with the stream deck would be to allow reWASD to listen to hot-keys from any device, not just the stream deck. I'm getting a mac mini soon and will connect the stream deck to that computer. However I would probably set up some tools which would send hot-key commands over the local connection from the mac to the windows pc which has reWASD installed. I will do some research soon about my options.

Comment

Thanks! We will try to add some changes based on the logs we got from you, so it may be a small chance that we could add it to the list of the supported devices easier

Comment

I'd very much like Stream Deck XL support as well. My use case is similar to Knight_Breaker's in that I'd like to map some of the buttons to gamepad buttons and such, but the official software will likely never support it. Thanks for your consideration!

Comment

Thank you for the suggestion! Will be happy to let you know once it happens.

Comment

Can't wait for reWASD to support the stream deck. I'm literally going to purchase the new smaller Stream Deck just to be able to use it with reWASD. I have a lot of very complicated macros to control the camera for my recording. Right now I use different configs for each type of script bound to the same controller, but with the Stream Deck I could finally merge everything into a single config and organize it properly.

Comment

Working...
                              X