Use eyetracker or mouse cursor postion as analog stick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use eyetracker or mouse cursor postion as analog stick

Hi, I am a disabled gamer and want to use my Tobii 4C eyetracker as an analog stick.

Would it be possible to add eyetrackers to the currently supported devices?

If not, would it be possible to capture the position of the windows mouse cursor and have that be an analog stick?
    I move the cursor with my eyes and am unable to use a hardware mouse.

Thanks!

There should be no issues with remapping it in case your device has the Xinput mode. In case it has, in reWASD it should appear as Xbox 360 controller, and you can feel free to remap it.
    In case it is responsible for moving the mouse cursor, then, the device should appear in reWASD as a mouse, and you can also feel free to remap it.
    Still, if the device has the Xinput mode, please feel free to switch to it and remap it as Xbox 360 controller

Comment

I'm using project IRIS to move the mouse https://iris.xcessity.at/
      I don't know much about xinput, could you explain how it works?
      reWASD doesn't detect the eyetracker and I think it can't detect the mouse because it's being moved by software, not a physical mouse.

I use an xbox adaptive controller and xbox360 controller combined and they work well with rewasd.
      I move one analog stick with my mouth and need to use my eyes to move the second stick.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Xinput is just a type of input, coming from your device. All the up-to-date Xbox controllers and Xbox controllers clones use Xinput as the main input type. That is the input type that is being recognized in game.
        If you wish to use the controller input in-game, reWASD can do so, but only by remapping the certain gamepad or any Xinput device.
        Thus, in case there is a way to make your Eye Tracker to provide Xinput, reWASD can initialize this device as Xbox 360 controller and as a result, you can remap it as well.

The same might be done with your current setup. As you already use this device for the mouse movement, you can use the detection mode to determine on behalf of which device the Tobi Eye tracker moves the cursor. It might be the virtual mouse, created by the software you use, but at the same time, it can be behaving on behalf of the physical mouse, that is connected to your PC. Please try remapping the device that is being created or controller by the app you use to convert the Tobii Eye Tracker to mouse movements. It is more likely your mouse's input, but we cannot tell for sure, as Tobii Eye Tracker was never tested in reWASD.

In case it indeed behaves on behalf of your physical mouse, you can remap the mouse controls to be the virtual gamepad's output.
        Still, our software does not support your device directly. Thus, there is no way to plug-and-play your device with reWASD. Some additional software, such as input convertors for your device are required.

Comment

Hey there!

Do you know how this device is detected in the system? Is it a kind of a mouse or gamepad or other device? Does it have native drivers?

Comment

I don't think I can figure this out on my own. After some googling, there doesn't seem to be any programs to convert the eyetracker to Xinput.

Would the developers consider adding support for eye trackers in a future version?
            Alternatively, the idea of converting mouse location to an analog stick would be promising, since it would work with any method of moving the cursor.

rewasd has added a ton of features this year, but adding the ability to use rewasd with an eyetracker would be an absolute game changer for countless disabled players.

Comment

Originally Posted by reWASDer View Post
              Hey there!

Do you know how this device is detected in the system? Is it a kind of a mouse or gamepad or other device? Does it have native drivers?
              Sorry, didn't see your response. I'm not sure how to check. It's not showing up as a gamepad or mouse.

Comment

here is a screenshot of the device manager
                Attached Files

Comment

Thank you for the information!

Just to be sure: reWASD doesn't detect this device at all or maybe it is shown as unsupported?

We do want to support as many devices as we can, so we will certainly take a look No ETA at the moment though. Will keep you updated.

Comment

Sounds good.

There is one device listed in rewasd as "controller", but the shape shown is a keyboard instead of a controller. It doesn't seem to bind to anything though.

Comment

Could you send us the screenshot of this device selected in reWASD so we can understand what this "keyboard" is?

Comment

sure, here it is.
                        Attached Files

Comment

And another request - please collect connection logs for this device:
                          1. Unplug all physical controllers and the eyetracker. If it is connected via Bluetooth - unpair it.
                          2. Run reWASD as Administrator.
                          3. Open "Preferences > General" and click [StartLog] button.
                          4. Connect/pair only the eyetracker and wait few seconds.
                          5. Open "Preferences > General" again and click [StopLog] button.
                          6. Send us the archive with the logs (if it is too big for the forum, any file hosting with public access will do).

Comment

Ok, I'll create a log when someone else can operate the mouse for me.

I think the device labelled "controller" is my xbox adaptive controller. The software also lists it as "xbox one controller". It must think the adaptive controller is 2 devices.

Comment

Originally Posted by reWASDer View Post
                              Thank you for the information!

Just to be sure: reWASD doesn't detect this device at all or maybe it is shown as unsupported?

We do want to support as many devices as we can, so we will certainly take a look No ETA at the moment though. Will keep you updated.
                              For Tobii Eye Tracking devices I did research and I found that their official software is not emulating virtual controllers or mouse. For XInput it's possible to use FaceTrackNoIR with their official plugins Tobii EyeX 4C and 5 headtracker and ​Tobii EyeX tracker which they developed "in close cooperation with the Tobii developers". But anyway FaceTrackNoIR is using VJoy SDK for virtual joystick(s), so I don't think reWASD will support remapping in this way.

For mouse emulation there are EyeXMouse,​ OptiKey Mouse and mentioned​ Project IRIS​. Better, but still nothing official.

When every year less and less games are implementing official support for Tobii Eye Trackers it would be good to have third-party solutions for their users. I think using head tracking and remapping it to right stick in games where right stick is camera control is great idea (especially in racing games and simulators). The same with assigning eye tracking to mouse cursor in strategies and RTS games. Feature can be great, but I guess it will require a lot of work and maybe even cooperation with Tobii devs.

Comment

Working...
                              X