Right stick mouse acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right stick mouse acceleration

JoyShockMapper has it figured out. Acceleration should be applied when reaching the outer edge. Necessary options:
    - Acceleration amount (multiplier)
    - Acceleration time (to reach the full amount chosen)

Hello!

With reWASD, the mouse accelerates depending on how far the stick is pushed. If you have deflected it a bit, the mouse will be moving slower, if you push it further, you will see the increased speed. In order to control the speed, please try to use different Response curves. For example, this one will accelerate the mouse only when it is deflected to more than a half:

Click image for larger version  Name:	D2P3zOlhqPep1m?d=1.png Views:	0 Size:	26.0 KB ID:	228337

Comment

That's not acceleration, that's just sensitivity. Acceleration on sticks means the turn speed increases over time, not just depending on the stick position.

Comment

The response curve adjusts the stick behavior. It is actually the points of when the movement should be faster and when slower, depending on the adjustment you make.
        It is also mentioned in our article.
        Y-axis of this graph is the intensity of stick deflection, and X-axis is the path from the resting state of the virtual stick to the maximum. For example, if you want to map a virtual stick to the physical mouse and want to make slow moves but still get some virtual input, it is better to lift the first point on the curve.

Comment

Originally Posted by Mezu5 View Post
          That's not acceleration, that's just sensitivity. Acceleration on sticks means the turn speed increases over time, not just depending on the stick position.
          I got your point, we just use the different term

Yep, this feature is not implemented in reWASD, still it looks pretty interesting to me. Could you help me with some questions though?

1. You have mentioned the "outer ring", so I assume you want to see it only when the stick is deflected to almost max point?
          2. If you deflected the stick to, let's say, 90%, and then you move it to 85%, what should we emulate in this case? Should we zero the acceleration at once?
          3. It is almost impossible to hold the stick still, so should we change the acceleration at once or should we have some zone that is treated as "fixed deflection"?

Comment

1. I think that's how most games do it, so yeah. Pretty sure you can set up different zones for the sticks in reWASD, so I guess the space between max and the second biggest zone would be where the acceleration would happen, unless you'd have a separate slider for that.
            2. Same as above - pretty sure that's the normal behaviour. It would probably be best to compare that behaviour against some games with good stick aim for reference (Outriders and WWZ are two of my favourites in terms of camera controls)
            3. I'm not sure what this question means. It doesn't matter where the stick is as long as it's far enough from the center to classify as being in the outer zone/ring, which then turns on the acceleration until the stick leaves that zone.

PS. Deflection is a surprising term to use for stick position. It's not wrong, but I've never seen it used in this way and was confused when I first saw it because I thought it was referring to stick rebounding/bouncing back the other way past the center point when you let go of it.

Y-axis of this graph is the intensity of stick deflection, and X-axis is the path from the resting state of the virtual stick to the maximum. For example, if you want to map a virtual stick to the physical mouse and want to make slow moves but still get some virtual input, it is better to lift the first point on the curve.
            Now that's a surprise. That's not how graphs normally work - it's common practice to put the dependent variable on the Y axis and the independent variable on the X axis - the X is what determines the Y (you put time on the X axis in physics for example). I think I've got all my sensitivity curves wrong then lol

Comment

I can't edit my post, so I'm creating a new one to say that I just noticed the article wookie sent referred to physical mouse mappings and not stick mappings (which is what I am talking about). Probably why the description seemed "flipped".

Comment

Thank you for the detailed answers. I think it is pretty clear for me now, and yes, we will do additional research from our side. I could say that this task is added to our to-do list, but I won't guarantee that it will be released sometime soon.

Pleasant to know that we solved a few misunderstandings about the curves here, hope it will help you adjusting things in reWASD

Comment

Working...
                X