Suggestion: Analog stick 'Mousewheel' mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion: Analog stick 'Mousewheel' mode

Mapping controllers to mouse/keyboard inputs is something I've been doing for a long time, and reWASD is great at it. However one thing has always remained lacking when emulating M/KB and that is the mouse scroll wheel. Sure, you can map the scroll action to a button, but the problem with that is you simply don't get the fidelity of a real mouse wheel to scroll fast or slow; you are limited to exactly what rate you set the mouse wheel action to repeat. Then there is the fact that many games handle the scroll wheel inputs differently, for instance scrolling through weapons might be one 'tick' to one swap, but then when zooming in and out on the map you need lots of scrolling in either direction to get your required zoom level fast. It also uses up a button for each direction you want to scroll.

So there hasn't been a good replacement for the mouse's scroll wheel yet. However years ago on another forum that is now lost to the internet abyss, someone had created an autohotkey script for an analog stick scroll wheel mode. I'd like to suggest adding that feature or something similar to reWASD, to finally fix the lack of a scroll wheel for good!

I've created an image that basically shows how it works, but for a quick explanation what this does is takes one direction of an any analog stick and dedicates it to 'Mousewheel mode'. Once you press in that direction, the stick is now in that mode and rotating it is like scrolling a mouse wheel. This way you can rotate fast or slow, giving you the fine control that a real mouse wheel does. When the stick is released and returns to center, it exits Mousewheel mode and returns to normal function.

The crucial thing here is that only the designated direction is used up for this Mousewheel mode, the other directions on the analog stick are mappable as normal. This way the only thing we are using up for this mode is one direction of the stick, and not the entire thing which we may need for other keybinds. It's already too much to dedicate two buttons to scrolling, so we want to improve on that and not make it worse.

Ideally the amount of ticks around the rotation of the analog stick would be adjustable, as well as which direction scrolls which way. This would give the user the most control and could be adjusted on a config level to match each game. Another great feature would be if each tick could 'pulse' rumble, which would simulate the feedback given from a real mouse scroll wheel.

I hope reWASD will consider this feature for the future, thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	mousewheelmode.png
Views:	663
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	229935

Attached Files

Hello!

Thank you for the suggestion, that's an interesting idea we have never considered

Looks pretty useful, so we will certainly discuss how it could be implemented with a team.

Stay tuned for the updates!

Comment

I also would really love this feature. Would be amazing for photoshop\3d\editing softwares.

Comment

Originally Posted by lapoune View Post
        I also would really love this feature. Would be amazing for photoshop\3d\editing softwares.
        Thanks for your vote. We will certainly take it into account.

Comment

Originally Posted by reWASDer View Post
          Hello!

Thank you for the suggestion, that's an interesting idea we have never considered

Looks pretty useful, so we will certainly discuss how it could be implemented with a team.

Stay tuned for the updates!
          Hi, does the current software have the analog stick scroll function?
          As I am considering buying the software, but it would be really helpful to be able to intuitively scroll like on the scrollwheel of the Apple Siri Remote (3rd gen).
          Thanks in advance!

Comment

Hi

At the moment, there is no such function. Thank you for your suggestion; we will definitely take it into account.

Comment

Working...
            X