ELECOM mice support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ELECOM mice support

Wrote this as a reply to another post but I thought it had a better place as its own post since I've found the underlying issue:

(Context: certain buttons in ELECOM mice DO NOT work in ReWASD even if the proper tutorials are followed).

(This is my first post)

Elecom's mouse assistant seems to be able to filter certain buttons so they can't be detected/remapped through any other program. This is actually an issue on some games that can't even detect these buttons at all and Elecom don't seem open to removing this. Also using hydramouse does NOT fix it either.

But I have some hope since, for some reason ReWASD is able to detect these inputs when using the record function in combo mode.

(And this is what I just found)

I can confirm this issue thanks to Linux's repository:

Certain ELECOM mice misreport their button count meaning that they only work
    * correctly with the ELECOM mouse assistant software which is unavailable for
    * Linux. A four extra INPUT reports and a FEATURE report are described by the
    * report descriptor but it does not appear that these enable software to
    * control what the extra buttons map to. The only simple and straightforward
    * solution seems to involve fixing up the report descriptor.
    Linux kernel source tree. Contribute to torvalds/linux development by creating an account on GitHub.

Good luck ReWASD team, if you are able to remap Elecom's mice you would be getting a whole new world of trackball users in.

Hello!
    By used tutorials, do you mean this one?
    It describes the ability to remap additional buttons through the Additional mouse buttons section using your mouse's native software.

Comment

I don't know if anyone in the ReWASD team has one of Elecom's newest mice so you can try it yourselves, but actually there's no program in Windows that can remap the Function buttons (besides the Elecom program itself of course but it lacks a LOT of features), it's only possible in Mac and Linux right now.

Comment

Do I understand correctly that the native software for remapping these Elecom buttons does not work on Windows?

Comment

Yes, but it's hard to explain, sorry, english is not my native language.

The native driver doesn't work properly on purpose so Elecom mice users are forced to use the Native Elecom software to remap their mice. It's on purpose because this issue is known for the past 4-5 years and Elecom has never even addressed the issue, even if their driver is updated pretty often (the last update was even a few hours ago).

But it is fixable if the remapping program corrects the report descriptor, as Linux and Mac does through third party software, the github link I sent even shows exactly how to do it with commentary.

Comment

The bottom line is that reWASD sees any mouse as a device that has LMB, RMB, scroll click, scroll up/down, X1 and X2 buttons.
            That is, the application does not care what model the mouse has, reWASD still displays it in the GUI in this way.

Therefore, the only way to remap additional keys is to remap them using this guide by interacting with the native software of the mouse manufacturer.

If the native software doesn't work properly or doesn't allow you to remap these buttons following our guide, then I'm afraid it won't work.

Comment

Working...
            X