OnScreen Keyboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OnScreen Keyboard

Hey y'all, thanks for making such great software.

I often use my Xbox controller to navigate my desktop and am looking for a more elegant solution for typing than anything i've found. I have a steam controller, that I don't really like for gaming but the OSK with dual touchpads was great. With the Xbox controller, the OSK is a single stick navigation across a qwerty and it's terrible, I can't even find the old daisy wheel.

Because of that I am looking to develop a OSK made for gamepads. I have a strong idea of how it should work and building off of things others have implemented, but I don't know where to start software wise. What I would like to implement is a quadrant flick, non qwerty system similar to the one at the bottom of this link:

I feel like reWASD is close to being able to let me do this, but I've also like to bring up an overlay when in OSK mode. Would anybody be willing to point me in a direction?

Hello! There is no way to create such keyboard at the moment with reWASD. However, we do plan to add this functionality in the upcoming releases.

Thank you for the link — interesting idea about the trackpad, we will take it into account.

Comment

OSK would be great feature for reWASD. Virtual keyboards generally are very neglected on PC. Steam OSK, Windows OSK and Controller Companion/JoyXoff OSK, we do not have much choice.
      Such feature can be very useful, especially if community would be able to create skins/themes for them. I suppose that using Xbox or PlayStation onscreen keyboards will be not allowed due to copyrights, but with community creations can help Xbox/PS fanatics to have their favorite keyboard on PC.

Here is good article how to create good OSK keyboard with many examples from different consoles: https://www.gamedeveloper.com/design...pad-text-input

Some of good OSKs were used once in history, and they disappeared:

Beyond Good and Evil wheel:

Steam's Daisy OSK:

I believe it will be good to revive them.

Comment

The wheel keyboard is unique but interesting indeed. Thank you for sharing the info!

Comment

Working...
        X