GameSir G5 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GameSir G5 Support

Recently my GameSir G5 started being recognized by Windows 10 and Windows 11. I can try to use it with Steam Input, but without proper tinkering it will not work properly. So I think reWASD is software which can release full power from this interesting controller.

Click image for larger version  Name:	450px-GameSir_G5.jpg Views:	19 Size:	15.8 KB ID:	232321Click image for larger version  Name:	450px-GameSir_G5_back.jpg Views:	15 Size:	13.9 KB ID:	232322

GameSir G5 is great alternative for another good controller - Steam Controller. Instead of second touchpad it has d-pad and its touchpad is non-clickable. But instead of this we are receiving additional back buttons, additional shoulder buttons and A+, X+, Y+, B+, 1, 2, 3, 4. Controller's touchpad can go into mouse mode by pressing dedicated "mouse" button. What is interesting - every button press is recognized by Windows including turbo, mouse, power and mode buttons which are not typical action buttons.

Mode button allows to jump between three modes:
    • Mode 1 is using touchpad buttons A, B, X, Y. You can use Right Stick behavior only after pressing these buttons (touch A button zone and move in desired direction will work like eg. A with right - jump in right direction).
    • Mode 2 is ignoring touche buttons and changing whole touchpad into right sick - like Steam Controller with default config.
    • Mode 3 is the weirdest, disabling majority of buttons, using touchpad as RS only. It supposed to emulate Xbox 360 controller, but without face buttons.
    Mouse button allows to change behavior of of trackpad. Instead of moving RS, we are controlling mouse. Works nice, but I believe that after applying reWASD magic, cursor will stop jumping in random direction after first contact with touchpad (freeze mouse movement for first 0.1s or something like this).

Battery button is showing state of battery, but can be remapped, as Windows is recognizing this button in joy.cpl. The same with turbo button which is enabling turbo mode for pressed buttons.

Controller works fine, but I believe that reWASD can improve support into much higher level of comfort. Mode 1 an Mode 2 look like they should be used together not as different configs. Default start can be Mode 1, but after pressing back button L4 we should be able to jump into Mode 2 behavior and be able to use A/B/X/Y buttons with their dragging RS feature (if needed, otherwise just tapping). A/B/X/Y buttons can be used greatly in moba games, rts and mmo. Controller is wonderful for Android emulators, as can very good emulate multitouch.

Controller is recognized by Windows' joy.cpl in every mode with every button, so I think implementation will be not very painful. Just adjustments and fixing to make controller mode comfortable to use with PC. If jumping between modes would be more comfortable (especially Mode 2 and Mode 1), then such support would be wonderful.

Inputs:
    • 1 × clickable analog sticks: LS
    • 1 × trackpad with four touchpad buttons: A, B, X, Y
    • 2 × clickable triggers: L2, R2
    • 4 × clickable shoulder buttons: L1, R1, L3, R3
    • 2 × clickable back buttons: L4, R4
    • 15 × digital buttons: A+, X+, Y+, B+, 1, 2, 3, 4, sᴛᴀʀᴛ, sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛ, ᴛᴜʀʙᴏ, ᴍᴏᴜsᴇ, ʜᴏᴍᴇ, ᴘᴏᴡᴇʀ, ᴍᴏᴅᴇ
    • 4 × digital directional buttons (d-pad): ↑, ↓, ←, →
    Video:
    Last edited by FlameMan; 02.06.2022, 11:37.

Hey there!

Thank you, looks pretty interesting.

Could you please confirm if the additional back buttons are also detectable in joy.cpl?

Also, does this one has gyro?

Comment

Hello,

Yes, the back buttons are detectable as buttons 27 and 28. I have verified it now.
      Unfortunately, it does not have gyro which makes me sad. But it still works great with FPS games.

In the attachment, I am uploading the controller log from reWASD.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot.png
Views:	965
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	232338
      Attached Files

Comment

Nice, thank you!

This device could be a monster with a gyro, but still, it has lots of unique controls. Thank you for sharing!

Just curious — how many controllers do you have?

Comment

Yeah, It would be great to use it with reWASD. It works very good on mobile, so on PC will work even better - a bit different SteamController with additional touchbuttons which works great with MOBA games.

I have my small collection. So far 15 controllers, from the mainstream devices like Classic Xbox Controller, Xbox Elite or DualShock 3 to unique gamepads like Steam Controller, GameSir G5, Flydigi Apex 2 and Joy-Cons. But I prefer these unique with gyros, pressure-sensitive buttons, touchpads or additional buttons/sticks. With good configs they can offer more than normal ones. Luckily reWASD is already supporting majority of them (from my collection only Classic Xbox Controller, DualShock 2, Razer Kishi and GameSir G5 left).

Comment

I just brought this controller and would love to have it working fully functionally on pc. I have struggle for years using regular sticks on a controller, and the smooth touchpad really helps me play. I know it's up to the developers to make the controller work on rewasd, but if they did add support, it would make my day.

Comment

This controller is on our to-do list, but we can't guarantee anything yet.

Stay tuned!

Comment

Working...
              X