Generic button inputs for extending hotkey mappings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generic button inputs for extending hotkey mappings

tldr - It would be amazing if reWASD could allow generic button inputs from a "virtual keypad" that don't overlap with normal keyboard keys

Hello, I'm an avid Star Citizen player. I currently use an Xbox Elite 2 controller for flying and use several reWASD Shift Layers to simulate a bunch of keyboard hotkeys. However, the game has way more hotkey options than there are physical keys on a keyboard. Many are left unmapped by default, and if you want to implement them, you must either (a) choose from a very small list of unused keys, or (b) make major changes to the default keyboard mappings.

The problem is, this forces you to compromise between getting a great controller setup and getting a great keyboard setup. There are arguably not enough spare inputs available to do both, especially if you want to heavily customize things. More importantly, major patches can change keyboard hotkey assignments or settings, so a custom reWASD setup is likely to suddenly break. It's also way harder to share reWASD configs since friends must completely relearn all their keyboard shortcuts. (Remember, the whole point of changing KB settings wasn't to actually use the KB, it was just to let me map functions to reWASD controller buttons/layers.)

HOTAS and other devices get around this - they're read independently and can have their own dedicated keymap profiles. Instead of issuing keyboard keys, they can send their own inputs such as "Button 12" etc. This means these devices can be mapped to any functions you want without changing any of the default KB+M hotkeys.

It would be FANTASTIC if reWASD could simulate this somehow. For example, adding an extra "keypad" option here with ~40 generic buttons available:

​​​Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	197
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	242907

These could then be bound (assuming the game supports that style of input), so we could achieve ideal controller setups while letting KB+M settings be left totally default.

Hey there!

Thanks for the suggestion. We can't promise anything, but we'll discuss it with the team.

Comment

Working...
    X