Press Times are Too Slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Press Times are Too Slow

The press time to perform the activators are too slow, and I always forgo using them because there's no point if I can't switch my weapons quickly (i.e. DOOM 2016, DOOM Eternal). By default:
    1. Long Press is minimum 100ms
    2. Double Press 50ms
    3. Triple Press 150ms
    4. Shortcut 50ms, and
    5. Slot Hotkey 50m
    I have to say, a Single Press takes way too long to switch a weapon compared to not using the activator at all.

Is there any way to have these press times less than the minimum, or at least have the Double Press time less than 50ms?

Hey there!

First, there is a small lifehack for Long Press and Shortcut Press time: if you need to get a mapping from Single Press for a button that has Long Press activator or is used in a Shortcut, you just need to release it. The faster you release the button, the faster you get an input, even if the press time is not finished yet.

As for Double and Triple press, well, release won't help indeed According to our internal testing, in order to press a button (pretty quickly), a person needs about 20-25 ms. That is why the minimal Double Press time is set to 50 ms, because if it is less, it would be pretty challenging to get Double Press mapping. But if you are ready for this challenge, we take your suggestion into account and will try to reduce the minimal press time for this activator type.

Comment

I'm going to piggy-back on this question and ask if there has been any internal discussion about allowing the Regular Press to go through regardless of if a Long/Double/etc is bound? It's a bit more situational but users can create configs around this activation setting to gain extra bindings per button without giving up the quick activation of the Regular Press. I'm currently achieving this but binding Regular Presses in another profiler software and letting reWASD handle the Double/Long/etc but I'd love to do all of it in a single program.

Comment

What about a Start Press in reWASD? It works regardless of other activators, and it fires immediately once you press a button.
        It has some restrictions at the moment (like no Combo for Start Press), but still, have you tried this alternative?

Comment

I wasn't aware of Start Press working like that. I really should read every bit of the Help Guide one of these days instead of working on my assumptions from other programs. Thanks for the reply!

Comment

Originally Posted by reWASDer View Post
            Hey there!

First, there is a small lifehack for Long Press and Shortcut Press time: if you need to get a mapping from Single Press for a button that has Long Press activator or is used in a Shortcut, you just need to release it. The faster you release the button, the faster you get an input, even if the press time is not finished yet.

As for Double and Triple press, well, release won't help indeed According to our internal testing, in order to press a button (pretty quickly), a person needs about 20-25 ms. That is why the minimal Double Press time is set to 50 ms, because if it is less, it would be pretty challenging to get Double Press mapping. But if you are ready for this challenge, we take your suggestion into account and will try to reduce the minimal press time for this activator type.
            I would suggest having the minimum time to 0ms or the bare minimum anyway, but attach a warning saying this is not recommended and that the users need a sufficient timeframe.for Double Press etc. The Default buttoin already exists to fix any issues as well.

Comment

Originally Posted by CriticalComposer View Post
              I wasn't aware of Start Press working like that. I really should read every bit of the Help Guide one of these days instead of working on my assumptions from other programs. Thanks for the reply!
              Great that reWASD can surprise you still

Comment

Originally Posted by XangelMusic View Post

I would suggest having the minimum time to 0ms or the bare minimum anyway, but attach a warning saying this is not recommended and that the users need a sufficient timeframe.for Double Press etc. The Default buttoin already exists to fix any issues as well.
                With 0 ms, it won't work ever. But I think we may make it smaller in one of the next versions. Just will need a huge re-test to be sure that everything is working as intended. So, this update won't come soon, sorry.

However, you may also try to use Start Press instead of Single Press in some cases. Start Press works together with other Activators, so the mapping will be emulated immediately once you tap a button. Could you please try it?

Comment

Working...
                X