I can’t aim properly in-game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can’t aim properly in-game?

Hi, I really need some help. I’ve spent an entire day on this and I just can’t figure it out.

My issue is that whenever I have the mapping turned on, my right thumbstick becomes distorted. I’m running Windows 10 and the latest version of reWASD. The game in question is GTA IV. It’s not just my aiming that’s distorted but the whole thumbstick. What happens is that the stick moves at the same rate both horizontally and vertically, but when I move the stick in any diagonal direction the speed of the stick slows down a lot. It will behave as though my sensitivity is set much lower for diagonal directions compared to straight horizontal and vertical directions. I have literally tried everything I can think of to fix it such as the deadzones and other advanced options under the thumbstick. It doesn’t matter if I set the stick to ‘right thumbstick’ or I just leave it to automatically act as the right thumbstick, the outcome is the same.

I would really appreciate any help.

Hello!

You have a virtual controller enabled in your config, right?

Please try to set the deadzone to minimum in Advanced settings (minimize the grey zone):

Click image for larger version

Name:	c66cc5751a.jpg
Views:	1856
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	219108

Comment

Hi,

I’ve tried setting the deadzone on the right stick to minimum and that hasn’t fixed it. I also tried ticking the Affect gamepad hardware box. I forgot to write in my OP that the controller I’m using is an Elite Series 2 and that I don’t have this issue with other games I’ve tried such as Fortnite. It seems to only affect GTA IV. I thought it might be the Steam controller settings that have caused the issue but I only have this problem when the Remap is ON and I don’t have this problem with my regular wireless Xbox controller.

Thanks.

Comment

Hm, that is pretty strange.
        Let's try to check a few more things.

1. What do you have in Xbox Accessories app? Are there any applied profiles with some stick settings?

2. Could you please send me the config you use for GTA? The configs are stored here: C:\Users\Public\Documents\reWASD\Profiles Please find the correspondent *.rewasd file and attach it here.

Comment

I have three profiles in the xbox accessories app, all default mappings with nothing mapped to the paddles. Here's the config files I'm using. It's just a default profile with z,x,c & v mapped to the paddles.
          Attached Files

Comment

Weird, there is nothing on your sticks in reWASD, so reWASD should not even affect them.

Could you please try your controller in a tester, so we may ensure that the issue is with a game only?
            Please open this link https://html5gamepad.com/ (or type joy.cpl in Windows search).
            Try to move your stick with remap turned OFF at first, to check the diagonal movements. Then, apply a config and try again.

Also, there is one more thing we should check. It may be a chance that you have used Autodetect, and so some other config is loaded when you switch to GTA IV. Could you please check that Autodetect is off for all games you have in reWASD?

Comment

Hi,

I noticed something strange when I used the tester. My thumbsticks can't reach as far when remapping is set to ON. I've taken snapshots to show you the maximum thumbstick distance with and without the remap. I have snapshots for both my Elite 2 controller and my regular wireless controller.

Elite Remap off:

Name:	Elite Remap OFF.png
Views:	1740
Size:	539.8 KB
ID:	219140

Elite Remap on:

Name:	Elite Remap ON.png
Views:	1692
Size:	535.7 KB
ID:	219141

Regular wireless xbox off:

Name:	Xbox Remap OFF.png
Views:	1692
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	219142

Regular wireless xbox on:

Name:	Xbox Remap ON.png
Views:	1698
Size:	408.1 KB
ID:	219143

Comment

Hello,

The stick range value is 32000 and we emulate this range precisely, so such behavior at the max stick deflection (along the radius) is normal when remap is ON.
                But it has аny impact in the game at all. We will try to reproduce the reported issue today with installed GTA V and share details.
                Don't worry! Be Happy!

Comment

Thanks, it’s GTA IV though, not V.

Comment

Originally Posted by Gold9999 View Post
                    Thanks, it’s GTA IV though, not V.
                    Yep, mistype. Sorry, in-game tests may require sometime, but we will get back asap

Comment

Hello,

Finally, the required GTA version was installed and we checked the reported issue. I think you were right. Using stick by diagonal I got lower camera view speed that horizontally and vertically with the applied config.

I tried the same steps without reWASD - it was faster. I checked the graphic settings and found the Vsync option, set it off - https://prnt.sc/s81xfa. Without this option, diagonal movements were much better with the applied config.

I may assume that reWASD + game + Vsync option ON could cause the problem. Please try to turn this option OFF in graphic settings and check again.

Hope, it will fix the problem.
                      Don't worry! Be Happy!

Comment

Hi,

I’ve tested the game without V-sync (which is how I usually play the game) but it doesn’t change anything. The only difference I see between my graphics menu and the photo linked is that I play with 144hz. I changed my refresh rate to 60hz in the graphics settings but this didn’t change anything. 🙁

Comment

Hello,
                          Thank you for your feedback.

Strange thing. It seemed to me that movements were faster without V-sync particularly for GTA. Have you considered to remap your controller on keyboard bindings? Map the mouse on the right stick, set other gamepad buttons to keyboard buttons dedicated to the game. Try to play.

Another option is to create a virtual controller using a magic wand and also test in the game how the right stick will be act - http://recordit.co/TEC34GhWfr.
                          Don't worry! Be Happy!

Comment

Hi,

I’ve tested using the virtual controller magic wand but I have the same issue. It behaves the same as a virtual controller versus unmapped.

I’ve also tried mapping the mouse to right stick which does fix the diagonal issue however it creates other issues. Mainly that the stick movement becomes too sensitive for some tasks and not sensitive enough for others. It makes playing even more difficult than normal.

Comment

Hello,

I guess tasks, where the stick is too sensitive, are about aiming or something. We can try to make different mouse sensitivity for different game modes, like running, driving with sensitivity #1, aiming with sensitivity #2. Check this use case link - https://help.rewasd.com/faq/usecases.html#11.
                              Don't worry! Be Happy!

Comment

Working...
                              X