Complete Newbie question(s)...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complete Newbie question(s)...

I'm interested in purchasing reWASD to fix a particular problem with my controller.

I have a Rock Candy Gamepad, which works beautifully in Xbox 360 mode. Unfortunately it occasionally gets it in its head that it's in controller slot 2, and there doesn't appear to be anything that I can do to get it back down to controller slot 1, except rebooting the whole machine. I prefer not to do that, as the computer acts as server for a number of other bits and pieces in the house, and they can get confused if it disappears.

So, question - will reWASD (with all, or any of the plugins) allow me to remap an XB360 controller in slot 2 to work as if it's in slot 1?

Hey there!

I'm not sure if I get you correct.

Your gamepad has two modes? It works as Xbox 360 and as something else? Is it a kind of a physical switcher?

Officially, we do not support PDP, so I can't give you an exact answer at the moment. The best way to see if it works is to try. reWASD has 14-day trial period (and 3-day period for each feature). But our first question is whether reWASD detects it or not. It should detect on Xbox 360 mode, but it is better to check.

Comment

Hi

I believe it can mode switch - I can't find the manual at the moment, but IIRC it definitely does something different if you hold down the home button while you're plugging it in.

I'm not too worried about that - by default the controller fires up as an XB360 (It's licenced by MS, it's got a X-box branded home button, and the four-way lights...) and pretty much all the games on Steam see it as such.

I installed reWASD a few days ago and it also detects it as a 360 controller fine. I've had a play with a basic remapping, and (for eg) I can get the controller to type characters into notepad when remapping is on. So I'm happy that on the input side, reWASD sees and works with the device properly. But I'm not sure how it would work if the controller was registered in slot 2.

Comment

Hello,

Please try to use the controller with reWASD and let us know if the problem would happen again.
        Don't worry! Be Happy!

Comment

I *think* I've managed to answer my own question.

I went to the HTML gamepad tester
          I plugged a controller in. This appeared on the tester in index 0. I shall call this physical controller #0
          I plugged a second controller in. This appeared on the tester in index 1. I shall call this physical controller #1

I unplugged physical controller #0. Physical controller #1 remained reported as index 1 on the tester.
          I loaded a reWASD profile that mapped each controller button to itself, and applied the configuration.
          A virtual controller was created as index 0 and the physical controller #1 was hidden from the windows and the tester.
          When I moved or pressed buttons on physical controller #1, it was reported by the gamepad tester as being in index 0.

This should mean that if my controller gets stuck as index 1, I can use the virtual controller to remap it to index 0, which is what I want.

Comment

Hello,

That is great. Glad that the reWASD matches your needs.
            Don't worry! Be Happy!

Comment

Working...
            X