Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

REWASD update has caused PC to fail to boot. Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REWASD update has caused PC to fail to boot. Help!

Hi Everyone,

I just downloaded the most recent update of REWASD and it required a system restart. My computer restarted and I was then met with a blue screen. I've gone through all the start up settings (safe mode, etc) and all of them lead back to this screen. When I press escape it takes me to the bios settings.

Please tell me REWASD hasn't bricked my computer, its my work computer that I need in about 6 hours time.

I don't have a repair CD. Or recovery USB.

I have dual partitioned the hard drive so I could download this hidgamemap.sys to a USB but I'll need some help installing the driver.

Please help if you can, this PC is urgently needed.Click image for larger version

Name:	20200624_020303.jpg
Views:	1171
Size:	636.1 KB
ID:	220075

Hello!

This is quite unexpected behavior for us. It seems that you have experienced some driver conflict with the older and newer reWASD version, and something was corrupted after the reboot.

The best way to fix it is to restore your PC to any previous normal state. Please follow the links to the official Microsoft's support guides:And here are more methods from non-official sites.

Comment

Hi thanks for the response.

Method 1 (Pressing and holding F8 when turning on the PC) takes me straight to the above screenshot. It doesn't take me to the advanced boot options screen or have a last known good configuration option.

Method 3 is the same thing. Takes me straight to that screenshot. When I do "press F8 for start-up settings" I'm met with this screen-

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200624_033238.jpg
Views:	1024
Size:	690.9 KB
ID:	220078

Every single one of these options restarts my computer, the Lenovo logo flashes up for a second and it takes me back to the first screenshot again.

BSOD troubleshooting doesn't appear to help either unfortunately. I tried the method of turning off the power and holding for ten seconds, turning on again x3 to try and force it to boot in to Windows recovery environment, this also just takes me back to that first recovery screenshot.

Please advise if there is anything else I can attempt, thanks.

Comment

Hello,

On many laptops hitting F11 as soon as you power on will get you to the Windows 10 Advanced Startup Options. Then Troubleshooting - > Startup repair - System Restore.

Otherwise, reinstall Windows 10 from Scratch. I guess you need to installation disc or Win 10 iso file.
        Don't worry! Be Happy!

Comment

It's Windows 8, but yes unfortunately that didn't work either. I don't have another pc or a USB big enough to install a copy of Windows 8 on to. Im going to have to go out and buy a bigger USB when the shops open (it's 4am here) and I'll miss out on a days pay. Not impressed considering I'm a paid user of REWASD.

Comment

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear, really sorry, but this is such a rare case, apparently, our driver was damaged during installation after the reWASD update that caused the system damage.

According to articles When Windows 8 fails to boot three times in a row, it automatically starts its Automatic Repair procedure. This is a quote:

If you want to force Windows 8.1 to do so, you can interrupt its normal boot 3 times over. That means that you must stop your PC or device while booting. You can do that by pressing the physical Reset or Power button on your PC or device. If you choose to press the Power button, note that you might have to press it for at least 4 seconds to stop your PC/device. The fourth time your PC or device tries to boot, it should automatically enter into its Automatic Repair mode, and the first thing you see on your screen is a message that says "Preparing Automatic Repair."

The source - https://www.digitalcitizen.life/5-wa...s-8-windows-81.

Perhaps it could be useful.
            Don't worry! Be Happy!

Comment

Hello,

since you are saying that even your safe mode get you back to a blue screen of death (BSOD). Best way to get rid it of it without going on deeper would be upgrade to win 10, since 8.1 was a failure.

Or you could just get another hard drive and install there another windows. There you could get all your necessary files from your broken windows hard drive.

In both ways you should backup your current windows with program like miray HDClone (maybe Daemon Tools got another handy program ) which makes a physical copy of your hard drive on another.

But for this solution you need to get a usb or cd of win 10 and another hard drive, maybe you can ask a friend who could lend your a hand there, or you have another computer in the house.

Another crazy solution like star-lord mention above would be get into repair mode like this guy did https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF4B1kuhqNg there you would get new options like repairing but i would not recommend that without backup your stuff, only do it if you have nothing special on it. (Since that can break more as it should do)

In Repair mode / recovery environment you could get a command console open. Since you got cmd open you could basically uninstall the driver via commands https://pureinfotech.com/uninstall-d...nt-windows-10/ like here. BUT i only would do it that myself if you know what are you doing, and i am not a devoloper of reWASD so, you should maybe wait for answer of the experts here and they can add a proper guide to uninstall the broken driver or at least disable it on boot.

Comment

Thanks for info FeuFeuAngel !

Az0nic How is it going? Have you managed to get access to the restore environment?

In case you need a manual uninstallation of reWASD drivers as it is suggested above, follow these steps:

1. Run cmd.exe as Administrator
                2. Switch to reWASD folder. Type cd "C:\Program Files\reWASD" and press Enter
                3. Type reWASDService.exe -drvuninstall and press Enter
                4. Reboot your PC

But as I understand the main issue that you can't get anywhere outside the starting point.

Comment

Hello, first post.

I just wanted to state that I had the same issue where Windows 10 gave me the exact BSOD as Az0nic.
                  I was able to make a recovery USB with the latest version of Windows but it also failed at fixing the issue.

The tips given here did not work.I had also tried to disengage the driver using the dism command which gave me a new type of BSOD.

My only way to fix it was to re-install Windows on top of the current one and erase everything else on the drive.
                  I just hope not many people will get that issue.

Comment

Hello,

Thank you KarolTheGuy for the feedback. Indeed, it's a very rare case. Have you had a chance to check the dump file? Usually, Windows 10 has an automatic memory dump, that creates after the BSOD.
                    Don't worry! Be Happy!

Comment

Hi Star-Lord

Sadly I did not think of keeping the dump or even looking at it.

Comment

Hello, KarolTheGuy

I see, anyway, the Windows restore always works. Have a great gaming experience.
                        Don't worry! Be Happy!

Comment

Working...
                        X