reWASD does not fully meet my expectations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reWASD does not fully meet my expectations

First of all I like reWASD for its controller configurable versatility. I can bind keys, triggers, sticks to whatever I want.

Unfortunately I am frustrated how it executes recorded macros. I test it in racing games like Trackmania. I record a macro while racing from start to end of a track using keyboard or Xbox 360 wireless controller. When I play it back it doesn't follow exactly all my actions. I would like all my actions be mirrored exactly as I exercised them. Behavior I expected was to see actions repeated like on a saved replay. Instead the car is steered very inaccurately and never resembles my actual performance.

So I'm wondering if my expectations are too high, is it achievable what I want from reWASD?

Hello,

What exactly was execute incorrectly, controls in the combo are messed up or missing at all, too many or too long pauses between controls in a combo? Please, specify how did you create a combo, provide examples where the combo is made wrong.

Note that analog movements aren't available to record in a combo, only digital controls.
    Also note, that to use controller buttons in a combo, an Advanced mapping feature is required.

We don't have complaints so far, your feedback is appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
    Don't worry! Be Happy!

Comment

I'm using reWASD 5.5.0 2838 trial version. I wanted to assess if it meets my expectations first before I buy it. Hopefully you can help to solve performance problems I encountered.

I wanted to record a video clip showing comparizon between my actual key presses during gameplay and then playbeck of the combo created but now I realized that I have 0 days left for additional options, just 10 days left for basic trial version, so I can't record combo :-( Reinstall of reWASD doesn't fix it, all data about trial is probably in registry and I don't want to mess with it using cleaning programs to get rid of it, unless you give me advice what to do to use it for 1 day more.

Anyway this is the procedure I follow when I create combo in game Trackmania or any othere game.

-> Keyboard selected as input device.
      -> Add function
      -> selecting a button to assign combo to, here "[" button chosen
      -> double press mapping
      -> key combo, agree to unmap button (unmap is not visible)

-> on the next page I press the red button to record, then switch window to game Trackmania and play
      -> after a while I switch window to reWASD, press stop record combo button
      -> I save everything, click apply
      -> then I switch to Trackmania again and execute double press on the remapped button, here "["

Then I observe how the car is steered and see different behaviour to what I actually played.
      I don't know any program capable of doing that properly. If reWASD was able to do that, it would be the first program I know, but I tested many of them.

I would like to show on a video clip but my trial days expired for advanced options.

By the way please check that when you select single press mapping the unmap function is there ready to select, but on other mappings like double, tripple press and so on it's not visible.

Comment

Hello,

1. DM me regarding the trial extending. I may provide you more days for testing.

2. Steps are correct, so interesting how recorded combo is different from the original. Note that different behavior could be caused by different pauses set during the combo or some extra mode added by unpurposely.
        Don't worry! Be Happy!

Comment

Thanks to excellent support of Star-Lord who granted me additional trial time for testing of advanced options I've finished to do the testing I mentioned in my previous posts.

I wanted to show that reWASD doesn't record then play precisely user's actions and thus results are not satisfactory for my expectations.
          I observed that during fast keyboard tapping it doesn't record delay between keys at all. I recorded 2 videos with phone vertical view of the keyboard and screen and added some comment.

1st video using slow tapping allowing reWASD to register as many delays as possible.

2nd video recorded using overtapping on purpose to see how reWASD will handle such actions.
          https://photos.app.goo.gl/aafHQKggP5HFfnqL9

I have one general conclusion - it doesn't record ALL delays between key presses.

The question is if it's possible at all to get results I expect from any program, because I've tested several programs offering keyboard recording and none was able to do the job?

Still reWASD remains very good tool to castomize many controllers.
          Below are the 2 combos I recorded making these videos.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by chudy105; 05.09.2020, 11:21.

Comment

Hello,
            Thank you for your detailed feedback. Really cool, appreciate it.

1. First video. Checked the test 2.rewasd. config I found this. The right button was pressed along with Num8 when you ere passing the second tern (on the left). I re-watched the video, it's clearly seen that the arrow button was pressed with the right thumb - http://recordit.co/O8j5XENUi4. Not a big deal but this node was added to combo and it causes a hard left turn and driving 450 ms forward into the wall.

2. Unfortunately, the second link is broken, but the config contains here and here. So, assuming that this is the same case.

Try to remove these nodes and replay them again.
            Don't worry! Be Happy!

Comment

Hi. Support here is awesome, you reply so quickly!

I repaired the broken link for the second video. Please have a look.

Regarding the 1st video. When we speak about the second turn to the left I initiated the turn pressing num4, then added brakes pressing right arrow under my thumb simultaneously slowing down by releasing acceleration num8, then I finished braking releasing right arrow, resumed acceleration num8 and continued turn to left with num4 with small pauses. To me it all seem correct. But I will adjust the node manually as per your suggestion and replay the combo to see how it helps.

The 2nd video reveals more problems because combo couldn't pass the 1st turn.

Comment

Hello,
                Thank you for your reply.

So, you press it intentionally. Assumed that it was pressed accidentally. Thank you for the clarification. Will check it again and try to reproduce it.
                Don't worry! Be Happy!

Comment

I suppose it doesn't matter if I pressed it intentionally or not because the combo was recorded during actual gameplay not entered manually and the turn during gameplay was taken smoothly anyway.

It's also interesting to see that each time when the combo is played you get slightly different results despite physics and environment of the game remain the same. So I'm wondering what's the cause? Is it reWASD itself or rather hardware/drivers limitation?

By the way, while my trial period was still active yesterday I was able to adjust manually some nods to improve the combo to the point it was closer to completion of the drive. But it's time consuming effort as you have to make small changes and test the result each time. None the less combo recording alone should be sufficient in my opinion to achieve smooth drive from the beginning to the end.

Comment

Hey there!

You've probably noticed, that all the pauses between key events are the multiples of 10? That is one of the reasons of not exactly the same combo playback. Another reason is that you didn't set "Delay between keys" to zero, which resulted in additional 10ms pause between key events (and probably is the reason of early failure in the second video). And the last reason is the in-game FPS. Depending on a game the amount of time between frames can affect both input and physics. Because of that and different timings of you starting the combo the results wil be slightly different every time.

So try setting "Delay between keys" to zero first, then tweak the vsync or frame limit options for a more stable FPS, and see if "replays" become more similar to your gameplay.

Comment

Hello,

Thank you Shion for your suggestions. Good enough to try.
                      Don't worry! Be Happy!

Comment

Originally Posted by Shion View Post
                        So try setting "Delay between keys" to zero first, then tweak the vsync or frame limit options for a more stable FPS, and see if "replays" become more similar to your gameplay.
                        Actually tested it with vsync on and still not satisfactory results :-(
                        Still don't know how "delay between keys" zeroed would work. Maybe someone could test it for me and share experience?

I still don't understand why the difference occurs. If reWASD is recognized as a legitimate controller by the game why performance is so unsatisfactory?
                        It must be some more technical issue. Keyboard is talking to the game using different interface probably and reWASD is talking different way.

Comment

Hello!

Delay between keys option is required for those combo sequences which do not include any pauses at all. In this case, the combo fires so fast that the game is not able to recognize it. If you record a combo manually, you set your own pauses, and this option is not required and main ruin your combo. That is why, if you zero it, you will definitely feel the differences.

Have you already spent all the trial days? We can add you a few more so you could test this option too.

Comment

Have you already spent all the trial days? We can add you a few more so you could test this option too.
                            Yes, please add. I appreciate your generosity.

Comment

Hello,

Thank you reWASDer for the explanation. chudy105, features and a trial period were extended until Sep12.
                              Don't worry! Be Happy!

Comment

Working...
                              X