New Steam Paddle support broke REWASD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Steam Paddle support broke REWASD

I unfortunately installed the new Steam beta client with support for "Extended Xbox Controller Support". However, as I guess is to be expected with Betas, it's pretty buggy. Bound paddles only work maybe a quarter of the time (This is on an XBox Elite first version). Plus REWASD stopped working. Bound buttons/paddles wouldn't press the correct rebound key in-game even though REWASD said everything was OK.

So I figured "no big deal" and uninstalled the "extended" driver. However that led to REWASD completely failing to recognize my controller at all. So I uninstalled/reinstalled REWASD but that didn't make a difference. The only way I seem to be able to get REWASD to recognize my controller again was to re-install the extended driver from Steam, but that just let REWASD recognize the controller, it still didn't actually work.

I imagine it's probably something to do with a driver conflict? I figured re-installing REWASD after disabling the Steam support would re-install REWASD's driver but I guess not, or it did but for some reason it's still not working.

Any help would be appreciated.

This sort of software, should create the restore point. You can try to use the restore point created before this software installation. Also, this software is also sort of remapping software, which can cause driver incompliance.

Try using the restore point.
    If this won't help, disable the steam beta, uninstall the installed driver, reboot the pc, uninstall reWASD, reboot it again, instrall reWASD. It should help.

Comment

Originally Posted by wookiepediologist View Post
      This sort of software, should create the restore point. You can try to use the restore point created before this software installation. Also, this software is also sort of remapping software, which can cause driver incompliance.

Try using the restore point.
      If this won't help, disable the steam beta, uninstall the installed driver, reboot the pc, uninstall reWASD, reboot it again, instrall reWASD. It should help.
      That's pretty much what I did. Got rid of the steam beta driver, reboot, uninstall REWASD, reboot, reinstall REWASD, reboot. No dice, still won't detect the controller. Now if I reinstall the steam driver it'll detect the controller but rebinds won't work even though I can assign them.

I'm guessing that even though I'm Uninstalling the Steam beta and driver something is being left over that's preventing REWASD from functioning correctly.

Comment

Hello!

If you have a conflict of mappings with reWASD and Steam, you can try to turn the controller support off in Steam, then only reWASD mappings will work.
        Also, I suggest you open the controller in Device Manager and try to repair the native drivers after you have uninstalled the beta one for Steam.

One more thing: please check this registry key:
        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{05f5cfe2-4733-4950-a6bb-07aad01a3a84}. Find Lower Filter string. What data is there?
        Remove this string (screenshot), re-plug the Xbox Elite again. Check if reWASD detects the Xbox Elite controller.

Comment

Hey Devs. In case you missed this, these people are talking about a new Steam update that actually replaces Windows drivers. The issues they are having is likely due to something non-conventional Valve has done to get around Windows driver limitations. The announcement can be found here.

Comment

Originally Posted by Mobeeuz View Post
            Hey Devs. In case you missed this, these people are talking about a new Steam update that actually replaces Windows drivers. The issues they are having is likely due to something non-conventional Valve has done to get around Windows driver limitations. The announcement can be found here.
            Yep, that's exactly what I'm talking about. I even mentioned it in the very first sentence! Should've known that it would interfere with REWASD.

As far as repairing the driver and disabling xbox controller support, I've done all that and none of it made a difference. The only thing mentioned that I haven't tried is the registry key thing.

Comment

HI there,

Thank you for comments. @lazu, please try to check the lowerfilter of registry key to get back reWASD working. Apparently, the Extended feature support load own driver in lower filter string and does not clean properly during the uninstallation. The thing with registry editing should fix bring reWASD back to work.
              Don't worry! Be Happy!

Comment

Originally Posted by Star-Lord View Post
                HI there,

Thank you for comments. @lazu, please try to check the lowerfilter of registry key to get back reWASD working. Apparently, the Extended feature support load own driver in lower filter string and does not clean properly during the uninstallation. The thing with registry editing should fix bring reWASD back to work.
                Ok, just tried the registry edit. After uninstalling both REWASD and the Steam Beta driver, then rebooting and reinstalling REWASD after the edit I have good news! Looks like it worked. REWASD can see the controller now plus I can rebind buttons and they work in-game. Plus Regular steam xbox controller config works as well (I use it for some analog stick tuning in some games in addition to REWASD).

One weird thing is that the registry entry was completely empty. It was just a blank key as far as could tell. Yet I guess it was the source of all the problems. Strange.

Anyway, thanks for all the help! I was convinced I was going to have to wait for steam to update it's stuff again and hopefully fix it's issues or (last resort) do a system wipe.

Comment

Sure, should you have any questions, we are here to help!

Comment

Working...
                  X