Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prototype Gyro Peripheral Support

Hello,

I am exploring the possibility of creating an add-on accessory for Xbox controllers (non-commercial, likely open source hardware/firmware), similar to the Brook X One adapter (https://www.brookaccessory.com/detail/43268489/), but for the sole purpose of adding gyro functionality to the controller.

Since Microsoft does not expose controller firmware to the public (or the schematic to the expansion port on the controller) this device would only be physically connected to the controller, with a separate cable going the computer. The gyroscope would be an additional input to the computer. This would be on a small PCB, most likely connected to a Teensy or similar 32-bit microcontroller with >=16MHz clock speeds with a USB-C connection to the computer. (So there would be two USB-C cables, one to the controller and one to the gyro device)

My immediate questions:
    1. Would it be possible for reWASD to support a device such as this to add gyro functionality to Xbox controller configurations? (as in, connect the Xbox controller to the computer normally, plug in the secondary device to the computer, have it be recognized as "xbox gyro add-on" or something similar, which then exposes the same gyro control options available for other controllers)
    2. What type of output would be required from the microcontroller? i.e. would the device need to report as an HID, rawHID, etc?
    Since reWASD supports the Azeron, which is built around a Teensy microcontroller, I think this would be feasible to do, and would add extreme functionality to both the Xbox controller and reWASD. This would have the potential to allow the Xbox Elite controller to be the only PC controller with an additional 4 remappable button inputs AND gyroscopic aiming.

Hey there!

We are fond of interesting devices that make gaming experience better. Xbox controllers would be perfect with Gyro, so your idea sounds amazing! As for the details and questions, I think it is better to communicate via email. I will send the one using the email address you have defined during the registration here.

Comment

Working...
    X