How does rewasd handle mutliple different controllers on the same profile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does rewasd handle mutliple different controllers on the same profile

So I had made a Doom Eternal profile for the Steam Controller. Now I've bought a DualSense. When I connect the controller and load the profile, it automatically applied the same mappings (as close as possible) to the DualSense controller. I see that I can add other gamepads in the subconfigs, but how does Rewasd know which one to use for a specific controller. Also, if I modify the default mappings, will it modify them too on the Steam Controller? I just find the handling of multiple controllers confusing. Or should I just create a new game profile?

If more than one controller is grouped up and more than one gamepad sub-config is present, they go by order: first controller in the group will use first sub-config, second will use the second one, etc.

When two or more controllers are grouped up, they will end up as a single virtual gamepad. If you want your game to see all your controllers, you'd have to apply a config to each of them separately.

You can use the same config for all of your controllers, though once any changes are done to it, you'll have to reapply the config for every controller, to take effect. But it is recommended to use different configs for every controller you have, especially if they are of a different model/brand.

You can [Clone] a config, by selecting that command from config's context menu.

Comment

Oh wait, but if you have 2 cloned configs, that both auto apply for a game, how does Rewasd know which to apply for the controller? Again, but the steam controller and the dualsense appear to be detected by the original config.

Comment

"Clone" in this case means a "Copy". When you click a radar icon, [Autodetect] will be enabled for currently selected device/controller.

Comment

Oh ok, so you can't have 2 different profiles enabled automatically for 2 different controllers?

Comment

Why not?
            You can use autodetect, apply it manually, use Slots feature to apply the config by pressing some key combination,
            One thing is to copy the config, another one is to apply 2 different configs to 2 different devices.
            Why did you think that it is not possible?

Comment

Hey there! Each reWASD config can be used on any device with "gamepad" type in your case. We try to add controllers and make similar buttons on different devices same from our perspective. So yes, you can use the same config on the different gamepads. You just select the device at the bottom left, then select a config and press Apply. If you want it to be active on two devices, you do the same one more time — select the second device, same config and apply it. You can also group both devices and apply your config — then it will be working on both devices at the same time. But of course Steam is pretty unusual device, so some things should be adjusted for this one only.

Comment

Thanks, I was looking more to have a specific (and slightly different) profile linked to a specific controller and applied automatically, but I don't think that is quite possible. It's not a big deal though, can switch manually when I do change controller, which won't be often.

Comment

Oh, I see. We have an idea a mind — create a general default config that will be applied anytime when you do not apply any specific one. You will be able to create a config for the particular gamepad. I think it would be handy in your case, but I am not sure when it will be released right now.

Comment

Working...
                  X