Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Single press and Long press on same button not behaving as expected.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single press and Long press on same button not behaving as expected.

Hi, I have a full license with all features of reWASD at version 5.6.2 and I'd like to remap an Xbox One X controller so buttons X and B behave the following way:

When X is pressed - send Virtual Controller X tap.
    If X is held for less than "Long press time in preferences" - behave like Virtual Controller X is held (as default).
    When X is held for more than "Long press time in preferences"- release VC X and start turbo spamming Virtual Controller X.

When B is pressed send Virtual Controller B tap.
    If B is held for less than "Long press time in preferences" do nothing.
    When B is held for more than a second - start turbo spamming Virtual Controller B taps.

I mapped both states to those buttons:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	fig1.png
Views:	695
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	224961
    and set long press time in preferences to 1200ms.

Game in question is Genshin Impact.
    X = weak attack
    X held (~800ms) = charged attack

Tapping would produce a weak attack.
    Holding for 1200ms I'd like to execute a charged attack and then spam weak attacks until I release the button.

However contrary to what I was expecting, if the Hold state is on on any of those buttons, it either ignores or delays the single tap (normal state) execution by the time it takes to detect long press (set in preferences) and then executes a tap or a turbo tap if I continue holding.

Is this a bug or a functionality limitation. I think this would be the best workaround for games that have charged attacks and at the same time require spamming.
    Holding another button for a Shift state is out of the question as most games use all available buttons and remapping around those is a pain.

You probably should check out this article to match your expectations with what reWASD can actually do.

[Long press time] option is there to decide what activator to use if both are set:
    - when button is held for less than [Long press time] in preferences - [Single Press] activator mapping is fired;
    - when button is held for equal or more than [Long press time] in preferences - [Long Press] activator mapping is fired.

Though it is possible to set [X] to behave as you've described - you'll have to enable [Turbo] flag and set a [Combo] like this:
    Code:
    [X Down] [Pause 250-800ms] [X Up] [X Down] [X Up] [X Down] [X Up] [X Down] [X Up] [X Down] [X Up] ... [X Down] [X Up]
    For [B] you'd have to map it to [B] with [Start Press] activator and to [B] with [Long Press] activator and a [Turbo] flag enabled.

And as far as I know charged attack in Genshin Impact requires attack button to be held for at least 230ms (though value differs between characters).

Comment

Shion Thanks for taking the time to respond.
      My bad for the charged attack time - it's indeed around 250 ms.
      After some consideration I managed to somewhat achieve the result I wanted with the single mode = tap X and double tap (within 110ms) = turbo X. This way charged attacks can be held and certain characters need that. But there's still some lag after the first tap (before it sends the X) - namely those 110ms - until it decides if I'm going for a double tap or not.

It seems I didn't really understand all the activators properly and the fire at start press looks like it might fit the bill.
      I'll experiment some more and post once I have a better solution.

Also thanks for the combo idea. The Fire at Once on the combo made me think it wouldn't stop until the whole combo was done but from what you said, correct me if I'm wrong, it seems if both turbo and combo are enabled - the combo will stop the moment the button is released - as opposed to spamming the whole combo again and again.

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally Posted by devocalypse View Post
        It seems I didn't really understand all the activators properly and the fire at start press looks like it might fit the bill.
        Only problem that might arise with it, is that it will always fire once button is pressed with no regard to how much you'd hold it for.

Originally Posted by devocalypse View Post
        if both turbo and combo are enabled - the combo will stop the moment the button is released - as opposed to spamming the whole combo again and again.
        Exactly.

Comment

I got it to work perfectly:
          I've set X (attack) as Single Press = X, Start Press = X and Double Press (140ms delay detection) = Turbo X. This way it fires immediately and charges the second attack.
          I've set B (confirm in my case) as Start Press = B and Long Press = Turbo B to skip repeating dialogues without auto accepting everything by mistake.

Many thanks Shion for pointing me in the right direction.

Comment

Working...
          X