Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I stop ReWASD from issuing a button release if the real button is still pressed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I stop ReWASD from issuing a button release if the real button is still pressed?

EDIT: I had the wrong bindings set in-game x.x... The software does exactly what I need it to and this thread is misguided and irrelevant.

I'm trying to figure out if ReWASD will do what I need it to before I purchase it. While R1 is being held down I want it to act as if R1 and Square are both being held down (but there is a slight problem).

I have the trial and I setup a Key Combo for R1 that is "Hold Until Release" that holds down R1 and Square. The problem is that if:

Start holding R1 (works perfectly, both R1 and Square are active)
    Start holding Square (works perfectly, both R1 and Square are active)
    Release R1 (R1 and Square are both released)

Now Square is still being held down physically, however the game doesn't recognize Square at all (presumably because of the release that was issued when I released R1).

The problem does not happen in the other direction.

Start holding Square
    Start holding R1
    Release Square (things are working perfectly still, R1 and Square are both active even though Square was physically released)

Thank you.
    Last edited by pattymills; 20.04.2021, 22:31.

Hello!

It seems to be a specific game's behavior that would be pretty difficult to override.
    I agree with you that the issue happens because the button was released in a combo. There is no way to keep it pressed while the other button is pressed — our combos are linked to the initial activator only. It doesn't reproduce the other way because of the in-game actions too I think.

I suggest that you try to add one more Square button to the Release activator for R1: this way after the release of R1 the game will detect one more fast Square press. However, I am not sure that it will be OK in the game — could you please try it?

Comment

Originally Posted by reWASDer View Post
      I suggest that you try to add one more Square button to the Release activator for R1: this way after the release of R1 the game will detect one more fast Square press. However, I am not sure that it will be OK in the game — could you please try it?
      Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what you mean by this though. How do I go about adding an extra button to the Release activator?

Here is my current window for R1 key combo:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled6.png
Views:	446
Size:	541.1 KB
ID:	225134

Comment

Also, I'm sure it's a lot easier said than done, but theoretically if you could check whether a button is physically being pushed or not, you should be able to decide whether a key should be released or not. What I mean by that is that when R1 is released and this key combo is going to release R1 and X, a few lines of code could quickly check if X is being pushed elsewhere (ideally checking both the physical key and and other key combos currently active).

I have a decent amount of experience with Autohotkey so I've written that kind of thing in scripts before. Although I have no idea how feasible or difficult that would be to add to ReWASD.

Comment

Sorry, it should look better with a screenshot.

I am about this activator — the action that is emulated when you release a physical button:

Click image for larger version

Name:	8317aa9234.png
Views:	440
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	225138

Although I have no idea how feasible or difficult that would be to add to ReWASD.
          Unfortunately, it is too difficult at the moment. But we will definitely do our best in the future updates and will try to beat this thing

Comment

Originally Posted by reWASDer View Post
            Sorry, it should look better with a screenshot.

I am about this activator — the action that is emulated when you release a physical button:
            I gave it a try, but the behaviour is still the same (once R1 is released, the game ignores the fact that I am still holding Square).

I am using a Eswap X Pro Controller and they have their own mapping software, but unfortunately it doesn't support mapping one button to more than 1 button (or even one button to a keyboard key). I also tried to get Autohotkey to work, but it wasn't able to detect the button pushes from the controller.

I tried using ReWASD to map R1 to R1+G (on the keyboard) so that I could use Autohotkey to detect the G press / releases and have a script handle what I need it to, but for some reason, ReWASD causes my FPS to drop ~40-80 under certain circumstances with this setup.

(R1 = R1+G. While holding R1, I get 240 fps. While holding R1 + Circle, I get 240 fps. While holding R1 + R2, I get ~160 fps. While holding R1 + moving the joystick, I get ~160 fps. Very strange behaviour. I wondered if it was because the game was getting confused about whether I was using controller or keyboard (since an input from both was being used simultaneously) so I tried disabling ReWASD and then doing R1 + G + R2 (where the G press came from my actual keyboard this time) and it does drop my fps, but only by 5-8 rather than 40-80.)

Not really sure what to try next, but I appreciate you trying to help. I do really like your software though.

Comment

Holy cow I actually made a grave mistake and am feeling really dumb but also pretty excited right now...

TLDR: Your software does exactly what I need it to, and the configuration that I had from the very beginning was doing exactly what I wanted it to.

The explanation of what happened is unnecessarily complex and won't be that interesting to you, but basically I had my bindings in-game set incorrectly. I just realized while testing some other ideas then set the bindings correctly and went back to my original ReWASD configuration. It works perfectly.

I can now bounce between R1 and Square as many times as I like and in any order and the game maintains the Square input for the entire time.

I'm sorry for any of your time that I wasted and I really appreciate the effort you put in. I will be buying the software now. Thank you!

Comment

Glad to hear!

As for FPS drops, if it's still happening: reWASD app (the GUI) is not required for remapping to work, so you can close it once you've applied the config. You can also try to decrease repeat rate of virtual keys reWASD generates as it might also be related.

Comment

Thanks for letting us know about your new setup, that is a cool thing to know!

I hope you won't get any issues with FPS while you use controller mappings only.

Comment

Working...
                  X