Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to enable pass-through (not use virtual controller) for specific slot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to enable pass-through (not use virtual controller) for specific slot?

Hello,
    I've been using reWASD for a few days now (already bought full license) and it does almost all I need it for now except there's one problem - a slot that should only activate when it autodetects specific game, activates itself by default whenever I plug in my controller or restart my PC.

So, I'm using HORI Fighting Stick Mini 4 on Windows 10 machine and by default, Windows sees it as XBOX One controller (that's by design as far as I know).
    However, one game I use this stick to play is Dead or Alive 5 which has problems detecting non DInput controllers, so I have to use reWASD to emulate virtual DualShock 4. It of course works great, even autodetect works as it should (almost). I've saved that single config of this game to slot 2 for my HORI and if I manually activate slot 1, 3 or 4 (empty slots), reWASD will automatically switch to slot 2 whenever DOA5 game is in focus (as it should). When I close the game, or alt-tab out of it, reWASD goes back to previous slot (all great so far).
    Now is when the problem starts - it seems that since slots 1, 3 and 4 are empty, reWASD automatically activates slot 2 (DS4 emulation) by default whenever I plug in my controller.

My question is: is it possible to create a generic game/profile that will load by default in slot 1 and that will not emulate any virtual controller at all?

I've bought reWASD mainly for my old Dual Shock 3 to emulate XBOX controller for all other games where I need analog sticks (so action RPGs for example) since I got tired of constantly fixing problems with SCP Toolkit. While I could just not play DOA5 until my issue is somehow solved (I've paid so I don't have to use manual work-arounds all the time), it doesn't solve my problem with empty slots in general.

A new config with a single mapping that would not change anything (like mapping [A] key to itself) with at least [explorer.exe] on the list of associated apps and set to autoapply on slot 1 should do what you want. We do have "default config" planned, but it'll take time to arrive.

[Autodetect] changes configs only when all selected devices are connected and an associated app is focused. Connecting a gamepad should not trigger a config change on its own. You should check associated apps list for something that doesn't belong there.

Also take note that with option [Remove applied config from slot on exit from the associated app] enabled at [Preferences > Tray Agent], [Autodetect] would switch to a last manually applied config (if there was one) instead of turning remap off.

Comment

Maybe problem isn't with Autodetect not working correctly, but with reWASD automatically applying first non-empty slot when it starts remapping?
      My profile for autodetected game has only one .exe assigned to it and it works as it should if I manually activate empty slot 1 first (it switches to slot 2 when starting/focusing on the game, goes back to empty slot 1 otherwise).

Even simply turning remapping OFF and then ON again (even if set to slot 1) activates slot 2. I do have that option in Tray Agent to remove config on exiting detected app checked, since as I understand, when disabled, it won't go back to previous config/slot when I close the game.

Comment

*Sorry for double post - I've tried to edit above reply first but it seems like I can't do it until my reply gets approved by moderators first.

I did try setting up a default profile to emulate XBONE controller and setting it to slot 1 and while it kinda worked (I could use HORI Stick as xbox one controller), it still made use of virtual controller which I find unnecessary and for example Steam didn't detect my controller directly - I rename my controllers in Steam Controller Config to make it clear which controller is which when setting up Remote Play or even just for alerts when Steam detects a controller being plugged in. Steam instead loads up config for first virtual controller used by reWASD (usually used by my Dual Shock 3) and then when I also connect my DS3, it detects a completely new controller (with no config or custom name attached to it).

Comment

[Remap is OFF] button re-applies previously applied config and GUI always switches to the currently active slot/config if a change has happened.

If a config was applied manually, [Autodetect] will switch back to it once out of the associated app. That is not an error or a problem and works as intended. If that's not what's happening, you should do the [Clear data] at [Preferences > General].

Comment

Okay, here's my last attempt at it (too much hassle for something I don't even play that actively right now).

I've cleared data as per your suggestion but also completely deleted DOA5 game/profile first (for some reason it activated even if I cleared all slots on my controller). I'm not going to bother with autodetect for now since DOA5's main exe is just called "game.exe" and unless reWASD looks at the whole path (not just filename), it will activate for dozens of other games that use the same name for their main executable (reWASD was remapping HORI Stick when I launched completely different game). That's okay, I could just manually switch active slot to emulate DS4 before I launch the game.

Yet reWASD was still automatically activating Slot 2 (the only slot with any profile and config attached - rest was completely empty, I never applied anything to them after clearing data) whenever I plugged my controller back in or even after switching remapping OFF then ON (via button in the bottom left corner of reWASD interface). Of course, I manually switched to slot 1 first.

I think the easiest way to fix this would be to create a config that would not emulate any virtual controller, maybe even still allow to set up shortcuts (and even combos though I haven't yet touched that feature) if it's even possible, to give such config a purpose other than being a band-aid to niche problem. Though from what I've read and your previous replies I guess there's no way to do that for now?

Comment

The config gets disabled once you disconnect the gamepad (if it's not in a group). And when you connect it back, reWASD only adds its icon at the left bottom corner. Configs can be enabled automatically only via [Autodetect], when an associated app is focused. Just checked it for version 5.7.0.

When you click [Remap is ON] twice you get currently applied config re-applied. So GUI will switch to that config/slot once it gets applied, which does work as intended.

"Default profile/config" is only in plans for now. You can make a config that doesn't use any gamepad outputs (thus won't enable a virtual gamepad), set [explorer.exe] and other apps you usually use and don't require any remapping for to the [associated apps list] and enable [Autodetect] for it.

Comment

Working...
              X