Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Apps may not detect virtual controller" message.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Apps may not detect virtual controller" message.

Hi,

I have this message now when i change config :

I had this when i had only one controller (so it's not a conflict with another controller), but also when i had two controllers plugged in and also when i remove one of them.
    What does that mean? Of course there is a physical controller plugged in, that's how i get a virtual one. I can't have a virtual without my physical one plugged in.

Subsidiary question :
    I have a very hard time trying to test both controllers on a same game. I just wanna switch controllers to test the difference, as if i were unplugging slot 1 on a Video game console if you will and plugging another one while a game is being played. I haven't managed to do that with rewasd for now. I have to quit the game, do all a bunch of manipulations on rewasd including unplugging one of the controller and restarting the game.

Thank you.

This message should show up when there is a controller connected to PC that is not involved in any remapping. For example: when you have a mouse as selected an active device and try to remap it to a virtual controller, if you ignore this message and continue - you will have both your real and virtual controllers available in the system, but due to games usually "bind to" the controller that is connected first, the game will most likely ignore the virtual controller and anything you have remapped to it.
    If you have your only controller selected as an active device or have them all in one group, you can ignore this message.

You can connect both of your controllers, apply configs for each of them and then disconnect the one you're not going to test at the moment. Just make sure that you have [Restore remap state on startup and device reconnect] option enabled at [Preferences > Tray Agent]. This will re-apply a previously applied config on controller reconnect, thus hiding your actual, and creating a virtual controller. But not all games can react correctly to this kind of controller juggling, so you might still need to restart the game after changing controllers.

Comment

Ok, maybe i should have done 2 separate threads for the 2 questions, I thought there were related. My bad.

I still have the message even though i unplugged one of the controller and check all others devices if they had remap. How do i know which device is conflicting ? or how do i know if a device is active ? all of my other devices have "nothing is applied" indication. I never had that message before. I think i had it first when i had my incident with rewasd crashing the PC. I remember I removed physically the controller at this time.

For the two controllers, what do you mean by connect/disconnect ? unplug them? click remap on/off? click the X under icon slot 1 at the bottom of the app? Nothing works so far.
      I'm not sure how i did it but I tried to test things, i clicked "group with other devices" and associated one controller with another then dissociated them. It did work in game without a restart. it switched to the other controller but now, impossible to switch back by doing the same process.

Edit : i think i got it, if you meant "unplug" by disconnect.
      Process : use same config on both, unplug the one that doesn't work (there is always one of the twos the game doesn't recognize), unplug the only one plugged, no controllers are plugged, then plug the second one. (in this order, if i plug the second one then unplug the first one, nothing is recognized, that's why it never worked so far).
      If that's the same process you were thinking about, then thanks, it's solved. I still have the warning message no matter what though. Can't identify the device causing the issue.

Comment

Originally Posted by Badibbou View Post
        I still have the message even though i unplugged one of the controller and check all others devices if they had remap. How do i know which device is conflicting ? or how do i know if a device is active ? all of my other devices have "nothing is applied" indication. I never had that message before. I think i had it first when i had my incident with rewasd crashing the PC. I remember I removed physically the controller at this time. ... I still have the warning message no matter what though. Can't identify the device causing the issue.
        This message comes out when reWASD sees a physical controller which isn't selected as active device. Though it seems to appear in other situations, which I'm unaware of.
        This is a notification type of message, and doesn't require attention to itself nor warns about any kind of conflict in the system. Just make sure, that once remap is ON, you have as many controllers listed in [joy.cpl] as you're going to use (usually it's just one).

Originally Posted by Badibbou View Post
        For the two controllers, what do you mean by connect/disconnect ? unplug them? click remap on/off? click the X under icon slot 1 at the bottom of the app? Nothing works so far.
        I'm not sure how i did it but I tried to test things, i clicked "group with other devices" and associated one controller with another then dissociated them. It did work in game without a restart. it switched to the other controller but now, impossible to switch back by doing the same process.

Edit : i think i got it, if you meant "unplug" by disconnect.
        Process : use same config on both, unplug the one that doesn't work (there is always one of the twos the game doesn't recognize), unplug the only one plugged, no controllers are plugged, then plug the second one. (in this order, if i plug the second one then unplug the first one, nothing is recognized, that's why it never worked so far).
        If that's the same process you were thinking about, then thanks, it's solved.
        What I meant is to remap both controllers separately, have the option I've mentioned before enabled, and have only one controller connected at the time. Well, yes, pretty much the same thing.

Comment

Let me leave an important note here

What does that mean? Of course, there is a physical controller plugged in, that's how I get a virtual one. I can't have a virtual without my physical one plugged in.
          No. You can. You don't need a physical controller connected to get a virtual one

Comment

Originally Posted by Shion View Post
            Though it seems to appear in other situations, which I'm unaware of.
            I think i might have found one of those situations, but i'm not sure, it probably requires more testings. I just realized if i disconnect a controller while its config is currently being used, and then switch to a second controller and apply a config to it, there is the message. Even though the icon of the first removed controller has disappeared. If i close rewasd from task manager and restart it without touching anything else (still only one controller plugged in), no message anymore. So rewasd has most likely a problem completely disconnecting the first controller and still consider it as plugged physical controller even though it's been removed, thus the message. Something like that.

and have only one controller connected at the time.
            I understand, but i wanted to know what "connected"/"disconnected" mean. I don't know what they mean concretely. Does that mean i have to physically remove the controller usb cable/bluetooth dongle (which will wear them out over time)? Or is there a special disconnection button i could use in rewasd that would do the same work? Or maybe in windows devices?

Edit : Found it ->
            remap off controller 2 you want to use but doesn't get recognized yet
            Use a config on controller 1, only controller recognized in game.
            In Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers
            Find and right click "Virtual Xbox one for rewasd" or any virtual controller being currently used
            Remove device, it will disconnect controller 1
            Go to rewasd app, click on controller 2 icon, Apply a config you want.
            It automatically switched in game without having to unplug anything.

With Control panel windows always open, i can switch controller within less than 5 sec. That's as good as i could hope for but if anyone has a better idea, i'll take it.

No. You can. You don't need a physical controller connected to get a virtual one
            I'm sure you can, but in my case, i had no other devices connected except the one i wanted to use. So the message didn't make any sense. Like it wanted me to remove the only controller used.

Last edited by Badibbou; 26.08.2021, 09:49.

Comment

Hey there!

I just realized if i disconnect a controller while its config is currently being used, and then switch to a second controller and apply a config to it, there is the message.
              I've just tried to reproduce the issue, but I don't get any messages in this case. Could you please define the exact steps that lead to the issue? Which controllers do you have, which configs do you apply, how do you turn them off?

I understand, but i wanted to know what "connected"/"disconnected" mean.
              "Disconnected" means remove the controller fully. If it is connected via USB, then it should be unplugged. The wireless devices may just sleep in this case, the main thing is that there should be nothing detected in reWASD and in the system. There is no option to turn the USB controller off in reWASD, but we have the command for wireless controllers if needed.

The message you get is an informational one. It doesn't make you unplug the devices if you do not want or if the game is OK with several controller in the system. It is just a hint that if something goes wrong in the game, please check the other connected controllers — the games may detect them instead of the virtual one.

Comment

Originally Posted by reWASDer View Post
                Hey there!
                I've just tried to reproduce the issue, but I don't get any messages in this case. Could you please define the exact steps that lead to the issue? Which controllers do you have, which configs do you apply, how do you turn them off?
                The "bug" seems very consistent so far on my end, to a point i'm not sure how to remove a controller without creating the bug.
                Steps :
                Two controllers plugged in, one Xbox 360, one Elite 2. both on virtual xbox One mapping (the magic wand thingy).
                remap can be on or off on one or both, doesn't matter. They can share the same config or not.
                Usually i have remap ON for both and they share same config.
                you unplug one. Usb plug out windows sound.
                you go to the profile of the other one, or were already on it.
                Change config to another one next to it. Config 1 to 2 for example.
                Click apply
                Warning message. And it keeps on displaying all the time before each change.
                Plug the other controller back in. Change config again of the same controller that used to display message.
                No more message.

If you stop at the warning message step. And quit rewasd from TM. relaunch it. No more message either.

Hey there!
                There is no option to turn the USB controller off in reWASD, but we have the command for wireless controllers if needed.
                It's fine for now, i've found the solution described. That is the best one i tried so far. No need to unplug anything.

It doesn't make you unplug the devices if you do not want or if the game is OK with several controller in the system.
                It was just an image. Like the impression it gave, since that message didn't make sense. What it really feels like is that a "ghost/artifact" of the other controller i removed is still there for rewasd, even though there is no trace of it in rewasd UI or Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers devices. And it warns you that there is another controller connected that could conflict with the one you apply config to. Even though there is none.

Comment

The easiest workaround here is the following:

Go to Preferences -> Confirmations -> Reminders and switch this option off:

Click image for larger version  Name:	4db8be10a9.png Views:	0 Size:	314.7 KB ID:	226829

Then, you won't see this message anymore.

With two gamepads with the virtual controller I still get this message only when the Remap is OFF for the controller 1 and I try to apply a config with a virtual controller to the controller 2, which is correct in this case. We will try to find the steps from our side.

Comment

Working...
                  X