Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can rewasd also remap the mute/program button on powerA series X?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can rewasd also remap the mute/program button on powerA series X?

Hi,

Before i buy it, wanted to know :

the mute volume button in the bottom middle. Can it be entirely remapped too?

Same for the central backward button :

which is a button exclusively made to program other buttons directly from the controller but that i won't be using since i've already got a pretty neat software called rewasd that'd do the same work. That'd make a free new button.

Thanks.

Hello there!

The device mentioned is not available in the list of supported devices.

The mute button is, for sure, not remappable. As we believe, this is a physical button that blocks any input from the microphone.

Regarding the back paddles (every one), reWASD is not able to detect the additional buttons/paddles, since they are not reported to Windows as separate controls. In that case, we are not able to remap the back keys of the controller and suggest contacting the device manufacturer to cooperate with us.

Comment

None of the back buttons? Wow, that's harsh. Yet back paddles works on elite 2.

I don't understand here :

We see As DualShock 4 part, As Nintendo Switch part but nothing as Xbox. Did i miss something?
      You didn't include any third party controller for xbox ?

Without any list, how do i know which third party controller for xbox works, does not work or work partially? The Razer wolverine ultimate and razer wolverine Tournament Edition for example. The Powera Fusion pro (back paddles)? Does the list need to be updated or it means they won't work?

Because if we look at Nintendo controllers part, you DO have the "PowerA Wired Controller", that's the same one, kinda. Does that mean what i asked (minus volume button) works for the switch powera but not the xbox version one?

Comment

Would it be possible to include the PowerA (and all its higher end models, Spectra and Fusion pro) to rewasd?

There is another thing i don't understand. If we assume the number of comments on Amazon reflects roughly the number of units sold :
        The PowerA wired enhanced (the one i'm talking about) is the third party controller the most sold on Amazon, barely behind the official Xbox series X. If we combine the 3 PowerA models i mentioned above, we have virtually more users of the third party controller than the official one. And i also assume more of them bought it for PC than the ones who bought the official xbox one, which is wireless and a bit more complicated to use on PC.

Why wouldn't rewasd try to appeal to those users if they are so many of them potentially on PC? Is this only a hardware issue coming from PowerA?

Comment

As I mentioned, we support all the devices as Xbox 360/One if they have the XInput mode enabled. All of such devices will work in reWASD, it is not mentioned in an article, but that's how it works.

So if your controller has the Xinput, it will be recognized.

Simply, the answer on both your posts is the same, the Xinput is a key thing here. If any controller has it, it will be initialized as Xbox One or Xbox 360 controller in reWASD, so basically, we support a lot more devices than mentioned in the article.

Comment

Originally Posted by wookiepediologist View Post
            As I mentioned, we support all the devices as Xbox 360/One if they have the XInput mode enabled.
            Oh ok, ok. I didn't know. You never mentioned the XInput actually, and it's mentioned nowhere in https://help.rewasd.com/how-to-remap...d-devices.html . Now i've searched about it, it all makes sense, but no casual would have ever guessed that.

The difficulty here is to find documentation on the said controller to know if it has Xinput or not. It's much much harder than i thought. I've spent 30 mins trying find infos on the PowerA Enhanced Wired Controller for Xbox Series X|S and even though it's a very popular controller, it seems impossible to find anything on the input supported. Overall, it seems hard to find input type info on any third party controller. Is there a website i don't know about that would give that kind of documentation on controllers or something?
            Unless you actually buy it, it seems near impossible to know beforehand if the controller you want will be supported by rewasd if it's not already in the list.

Should i always conclude that, for this type of popular controller, it has to be Xinput by default and will globally work with rewasd except for the additional back buttons?

Comment

XInput is the most popular standard for the game developers on PC. It is pretty simple (it can't include gyro for example), but if the gamepad looks like Xbox 360/One controller, then most probably, it will be detected as this type of the controller.

You can contact PowerA support team to ask, they will give you the correct answer. Personally our team have never used this particular model, but we will do our best to support it if something goes wrong. We have tested several PowerA gamepads, and they do work in reWASD — but — only as Xbox 360 or One or Switch Pro and without additional paddles, buttons and specific controls.

We have tried to contact PowerA team and cooperate with us, so we could support the additional buttons too, but unfortunately, we have never got any answer.

Comment

Alright, thanks, understood. Then, maybe i should already ask something because i know i'm gonna try it at some point when i have the controller.
                Can i cheat and remap unremappable buttons (back buttons typically) using internal controller mapping and rewasd shift feature ?
                It's very twisted, but here is how it would go :
                1st step : Use RB as modifier to Shift 4, on this shift 4, remap B button to a macro.
                2nd step : remap R back button to B button internally with the controller programmable button (NOT with rewasd).
                Expected result : when pressing RB, then R back button, it presses B which is remapped to a macro, so it really does the macro instead. -> Back button becomes indirectly remappable via rewasd.

Most likely it doesn't work but i have to ask.
                Last edited by Badibbou; 04.08.2021, 23:20.

Comment

As we mentioned, back paddles of your controller can not be remapped in our software as these buttons are not reported to the system as for example Xbox Elite 1/2 paddles.
                  Regarding using RB as a shift modifier, you can use it with no issues. Just select this button as a shift modifier and if you wish to add some combo, it should be added in the main shift layer. (Shift 0)
                  It can not be remapped in some shift because it will lead to shift layer switch being stuck.
                  Such feature might be possible as soon as we implement Shift mode as commands. Stay tuned!

Comment

I know, i know.
                    I'd suggest you carefully read my example again, this is not what i was asking at all. I'd never remap back button with rewasd at any point in this example. See it as a trick to cheat the limitation. I did say it was very twisted, as I don't think anyone ever tried it this way. The buttons i used are just for the example, i could replace them with any other button.
                    Imma try it when i receive the controller anyway, but i had to ask beforehand. If it does work, it's good to know this workaround exists.

Comment

Since you edited the post, it is more understandable now, thank you

Feel free to remap the controller as you wish, give it a try. Still, we just cannot guarantee everything will work fine, however, we will provide you with our best help once you get this controller.

Comment

It's very twisted, but here is how it would go :
                        1st step : Use RB as modifier to Shift 4, on this shift 4, remap B button to a macro.
                        2nd step : remap R back button to B button internally with the controller programmable button (NOT with rewasd).
                        Expected result : when pressing RB, then R back button, it presses B which is remapped to a macro, so it really does the macro instead. -> Back button becomes indirectly remappable via rewasd
                        This is a brilliant idea actually. Yes, you will be able to use those buttons with the Shift modifier only, but you will get the unique action in this case! As for we do not have the model you want to buy, we can't guarantee that it will work for sure, but the chances are pretty high. I have tested your idea with DualShock 4 Back Button Attachment (most devices with additional controls work similar), and it worked

Comment

Good news everyone!
                          It does work, and it probably always work for controllers with programmable buttons like this one. Happy to see my workaround works as intended. A good use would be to assign a back button to sprint (often LS) on shift 0 and whatever macro or an other less accessible button on that same LS on a shift 2+. Workaround with practically no downside.

The bad news is that the other back button can't be toggled anymore, as it could with the elite 2. It's really bothersome. It was mostly why i wanted a back button, to aim toggle without having to remap RT with rewasd.

Is the Elite 2 the only controller with back paddles that rewasd can remap? I think i read that Microsoft was preventing third party controllers to use the same technology that allows back paddles to have their own Xinput or something like that. Is that true?

If not, could someone please give me examples of controllers with back buttons/paddles that you know are remappable via rewasd OR that you know can activate a simple toggle of another button via their own software? I know there is a list here https://help.rewasd.com/how-to-remap...d-devices.html but it's not exhaustive and if i understood it well, it doesn't mean back paddles work even though they are listed compatible.

I don't even mind trying a Sony or another controller brand or a strike pack, as long as it works fully with rewasd. Thanks.

Comment

Found another another workaround, but this one i don't like, even though it works perfectly.

LS here means L down (L3 on PS i think) :
                            I use rewasd to remap a button that naturally has a clone button function in a game like LS (when both LS and RB are indistinctly used for sprint), remap it to LT (aim) toggle and let the original LT button alone with its native function.
                            I use programmable button from controller to assign LS to L back button. So L back button = LS (via controller) = LT toggle (via rewasd).

I don't like it cause it seals off one button from the controller. And it also won't work all the time with all games. So kinda meh.

Comment

Originally Posted by Badibbou View Post
                              Good news everyone!
                              It does work, and it probably always work for controllers with programmable buttons like this one. Happy to see my workaround works as intended. A good use would be to assign a back button to sprint (often LS) on shift 0 and whatever macro or an other less accessible button on that same LS on a shift 2+. Workaround with practically no downside.

The bad news is that the other back button can't be toggled anymore, as it could with the elite 2. It's really bothersome. It was mostly why i wanted a back button, to aim toggle without having to remap RT with rewasd.

Is the Elite 2 the only controller with back paddles that rewasd can remap? I think i read that Microsoft was preventing third party controllers to use the same technology that allows back paddles to have their own Xinput or something like that. Is that true?

If not, could someone please give me examples of controllers with back buttons/paddles that you know are remappable via rewasd OR that you know can activate a simple toggle of another button via their own software? I know there is a list here https://help.rewasd.com/how-to-remap...d-devices.html but it's not exhaustive and if i understood it well, it doesn't mean back paddles work even though they are listed compatible.

I don't even mind trying a Sony or another controller brand or a strike pack, as long as it works fully with rewasd. Thanks.
                              Hello!
                              reWASD works correctly with the rear paddles of Xbox Elite 1 and 2 controllers.
                              As for the cool trick you suggested, only users who tested it on their devices will be able to tell you in this thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X