Mouse output unusable due to stutter/jitter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mouse output unusable due to stutter/jitter

When I bind either gyro or a stick to mouse output, the mouse movement is jittery. The gamepad itself is fine, it doesn't happen with other remappers. It appears in some games but not others (Cyber Hook and Valorant are fine, but Outriders and Homefront: The Revolution have huge jitters). It's not a problem with mixed input itself, since using an actual mouse with a gamepad doesn't cause the same effect.
    Changing virtual device settings (mouse sensitivity, reporting on behalf of a physical device) doesn't help.
    I'm not doing anything funky with the configs, just a straight Xbox 360 emulation + mouse on gyro and the right stick. Both gyro and the stick stutter independently.

It appears in some games but not others (Cyber Hook and Valorant are fine, but Outriders and Homefront: The Revolution have huge jitters).
    This suggests game options being the reason of this. Look for "Mouse smoothing" (enable) and "sensitivity" (decrease) options in game.
    Unstable FPS might also be a reason. Decreasing graphics quality or enabling vsync or G-sync might help.

Comment

Decreasing graphics quality or enabling vsync or G-sync might help.
      How so? I thought rewasd worked on a driver level, so why would framerate affect it?
      To reiterate - this doesn't happen with other remappers or just combining a mouse and a gamepad. Only rewasd in particular.

And the sensitivity tweak is a decent idea, but I use the same sens for all games, so it would happen in all titles if that was the issue I think.

Comment

Hi! Please send me the config you are using. Your configs are stored here: C:\Users\Public\Documents\reWASD\Profiles
        I need the correspondent *.rewasd file.

Comment

I think it's attached to this message? It's not specific to this config either, it's universal across any config with mouse output. Config 1.rewasd

Comment

Originally Posted by Mezu5 View Post
            How so? I thought rewasd worked on a driver level, so why would framerate affect it?
            It's not a question of how reWASD works here. Some games can perceive same inputs differently based on a frame rate, especially if it is unstable.

To reiterate - this doesn't happen with other remappers or just combining a mouse and a gamepad. Only rewasd in particular.
            I can only think about these values being too high (taken from the config you have sent):

Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-11-08_0-19-07.png
Views:	1158
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	228323
            There is a need to find a balance between these values and the ones set up in the game for mouse sensitivity, as they both affect how camera/mouse movement will be perceived by the game. Big values will allow for faster turns but will sacrifice accuracy and add to the "jittery" effect.
            If you are using the same values in reWASD for every game, then you should tweak corresponding values in each game, to get the same result.

And the sensitivity tweak is a decent idea, but I use the same sens for all games, so it would happen in all titles if that was the issue I think.
            I've meant "sensitivity" and "mouse smoothing" options in the game itself. Different game engines use different scales for those options, so 1.5 sensitivity value in one game will feel different in another. Too high values can create this "jittery" effect, as they set up the minimal possible movement that can be done with a mouse.

Comment

Some games can perceive same inputs differently based on a frame rate, especially if it is unstable
              I'd expect the issue to appear with other remappers and an actual mouse then too.

I might look into lowering the values but that would be pretty annoying - as of now they're set up so that my preferred mouse sensitivity (@ 800 dpi) is the same as my gamepad sensitivity in games. Still, they're on the left side of the slider, so I'd think they're reasonable.

Comment

Hey there!

I have one a few more things to suggest:

Please minimize Virtual and Horizontal axis range (1, 2), it will make the mouse movement smoother. Also, I still suggest that you unmap (3) the stick in the Shift mode where you use it, because there are no reasons to keep both inputs in your case, when the stick works as a mouse inside the Shift layer only:

Click image for larger version  Name:	a344248b69.png Views:	0 Size:	223.0 KB ID:	228333

Also, I would need to know which other remappers you use and whether you use them right now, together with reWASD. Most of them emulate SendInput, so I should warn you that the settings in reWASD and in other apps may be totally different, while both the system and games treat our mouse emulation in other way.

Comment

I'm not combining any remappers, I just compared them one at a time to try to figure out what's at fault.
                  I matched your settings and it's still happening, unfortunately. I'd just assume it's an issue with this specific game (Homefront The Revolution), but it also happened in another one (Unreal Gold), so I'm slightly worried.
                  I also tried to make reWASD output mouse input on behalf of my actual mouse receiver, but it didn't help.

Here's a video of what's happening. It's extremely apparent (maybe because the framerate was unlocked), but you can still see what's going on I think. I start with turning with the emulated mouse, change to the stick and alternate back and forth.

Comment

The twitching that I see, can be also related to the very little deadzone selected in reWASD. Sometimes, with the certain condition of a stick, it may have some ghosting and random movements. Not like the stick drift, but a constant low-value movement of X and Y axises. Try changing the deadzone (increase it) to the value of 30-35% of a maximum to see if the same issue persists.

Comment

That could potentially make sense if reWASD doesn't have stick input smoothing and other remappers do. Still, your suggestion doesn't help and it makes sense why it wouldn't - I was moving the camera with the stick emulating a mouse, so it wasn't near the deadzone anyway, but jitter is jitter and it would still show up.
                      Not sure that's the issue, but I guess it's a lead at least. Best one so far anyway.

Comment

That could potentially make sense if reWASD doesn't have stick input smoothing and other remappers do.
                        This is exactly the same thing I am thinking about, but thank you very much for tweaking and looking into other settings.
                        We will consider adding smoothing for mouse mappings with a team.

Comment

Working...
                        X