Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gyro joycon pc

hi reWASD,

I've been using gyro with joycons on PC since it was implemented back late last December (using default gyro - not mapped to mouse or anything). I've enjoyed this feature for months; however, I'm not sure if anything changed recently with my Bluetooth or gyro in reWASD because now I am having intermittent stuttering problems with gyro. I use both joycons in separate hands and use the right one as my gyro controller. right now my workaround is to hit the sync button to turn off the controller and then push a button to connect back to my PC's Bluetooth. this will work for several minutes and then it's rinse and repeat. is this a known or problem again or can anyone offer a solution?

here's some of troubleshooting I've tried separately:
    • connected joycons into my Switch console and updated them.
    • bought new set of joycons.
    • updated Bluetooth on my PC.
    • switched to beta client on Steam.
    • automatic/manual gyro calibration in Steam.
    • automatic/manual gyro calibration in reWASD.
    • combined DS4 controller in reWASD to use as left controller while using right joycon for gyro.
    • combined Steam controller in reWASD to use as left controller while using right joycon for gyro.
    • moved game from HDD to SSD (wasn't sure of its value but thought it was worth a try).
    now the only physical change I made prior to having problems was upgrading monitors. I now have a monitor that is 165 hz-capable. I even changed its refresh rate back to 60 where I was originally gaming on and it is still a problem. I'm playing games with controller support that can be input-based matchmaking in crossplay (Paladins, Realm Royale).

plz help. thank you again!!!

Hello!

Pretty strange case, we will re-check the mentioned games from our side, and I will let you know once we find anything.

I would like to ask a few more questions to be sure that we are testing the same conditions:
    • Which Bluetooth adapter do you use and have you tried other ones?
    • Once the issue happens, your controllers are connected via BT and you do not change the connection type, right?
    • Do you use reWASD together with Steam? Steam detects your devices as DS4 (the virtual one we have created), and you have enabled the controller support for DS4 in Steam?
    • Both games are from Steam, right?
    • Which OS version do you have? In case you are using some Insider Preview, we will need the exact build number (you can check it by typing winver in Windows search)
    • It would be better to see the config you are using. The easiest way to find it is to click this option.

Comment

hi reWASder, thanks for the reply!
      • Which Bluetooth adapter do you use and have you tried other ones? I am using WiFi 6 A2X00 in conjunction with a Bluetooth extender where the receiver sits on my table close to my hands for better signal. I have tried other adapters prior to using this and they did not work to my liking, which prompted me to buy this adapter. this has worked flawlessly up until very recently, hence my post.
      • Once the issue happens, your controllers are connected via BT and you do not change the connection type, right? that's right - I use my joycons 100% wireless through Bluetooth.
      • Do you use reWASD together with Steam? Steam detects your devices as DS4 (the virtual one we have created), and you have enabled the controller support for DS4 in Steam? I do not use reWASD with Steam. I have all the controller support disabled, but it still detects it as a connected controller which is why I thought I should try the calibration through there.
      • Both games are from Steam, right? yes, although I did download Paladins through Epic Games Store to test. launching the game through there also has the same problem.
      • Which OS version do you have? In case you are using some Insider Preview, we will need the exact build number (you can check it by typing winver in Windows search) I am using Windows 10 version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.1288). I have not upgraded this since I bought my computer 7 months ago.
      • It would be better to see the config you are using. The easiest way to find it is to click . I have it attached it in this post it's very basic. I map the controller to Virtual DS4 to enable gyro, and those are the only changes I ever make.

some things I neglected to mention in my original post which I hope may help:
      • when I first using this feature 7 months ago, I was using a 3rd-party joycon controller called Kinvoca for my left joycon. the right joycon has always been the official Nintendo controller. recently this Kinvoca controller started having issues with its D-PAD, and since I was having gyro issues with my right controller I decided to buy an entire new official Nintendo set. my problems started happening after I switched to both official Nintendo left & right joycons.
      • when I sync my official Nintendo left joycon controller to Bluetooth and then go to calibrate it in Window's joy.cpl, the cursor movement goes super crazy even though I am not touching it (this happens for both my official Nintendo used left joycon and my brand new official Nintendo left joycon). when I plug in my Kincova left joycon controller and do the same thing, the cursor does not move at all. when I pair my official Nintendo controllers together in reWASD and check joy.cpl as a combined controller, the cursor seems fine and doesn't move until I touch it. however, when I use these two while gaming I will notice through reWASD's battery indicator that the left joycon is always draining at a crazy rate (like 50% after 30 minutes of playtime) while my right joycon is still close to 100%, and that's also when I have gyro stutters. I suspect my issue may be with the left official Nintendo joycon, but I'll know for sure when I get my new Kinvoca set in later this week. I will update this post with my findings. if this fixes it, I would still hate to keep buying a new set of 3rd-party controllers just so gyro works with reWASD.
      thank you for reading because I know there was a lot packed in there. you guys are the best!!!

For Keyboard & Mouse.rewasd

Comment

Thank you for the details! We are trying to check the same conditions, I hope it won't take long.

At the moment, I have one more idea: could you please try to switch LED settings off for your devices? In the config, click the LED icon at the left top corner of the app and change Main (Shift 0) to None. Then, open Preferences -> LED settings, switch to Nintendo controllers and uncheck the things you see there. LED is on the right Joy-Con, so it may not be connected anyhow, still, it would be better to re-check as for LED sends reports pretty quickly, and so it may influence.

Also, strange thing about joy.cpl — it may be a hint that the controller itself is not working properly. Still, we will certainly check it from our side on the devices we have.

Comment

hi reWASDer,

thanks for the LED suggestion, but unfortunately it didn't resolve my issue. I am receiving my 3rd-party set tomorrow so I can test this again.

in terms of using both official Nintendo joycons, is this a problem you guys were able to replicate? that would let me know whether the problem was on my end or not.

thanks again.

Comment

Got it, still thank you for trying!

We can't yet confirm or deny the issue, need a bit more time to test with the mentioned games. I hope I will send you more info on Monday-Tuesday.

UPD: I would like to ask you one more thing. Please try to disconnect the Joy-Cons, connect them again a leave on the table for a few seconds in a steady position. The gamepad will re-calibrate itself. Then, apply a config and go to the game as usual.

Comment

hi reWASDer,

no problem! I am not in a rush - just wanted to make sure it's not on my end. I let the gamepad re-calibrate on its own and, unfortunately, it did not resolve my issue. I also received my new 3rd-party left joycon today. in joy.cpl, it did not go crazy like my official Nintendo left joycon does, but my gyro problem is still there on the right joycon. if you have anymore suggestions I'll be happy to try them out.

until then, thank you!

Comment

Got it, thank you for the re-check. Will share the news from our side later today.

Comment

I am sorry for the delay. We've spent a bit more time than expected because we wanted to check your case properly. And we haven't found anything that may relate from our side.

We do see that Joy-Con is a "naughty" gamepad when using it via BT, but in case the adapter is working properly and is compatible with Nintendo, everything looks good.
                  I would definitely suggest that you check other adapter, it may be a chance that the external one will be even better.

Comment

thanks guys! I will update if I can find the resolution on my end in case it can help someone else out, too.

Comment

Sure! We check each new post, so feel free to share your experience with a different adapter!

Comment

I use JoyCon on PC with reWASD and I've only had some stuttering using the gyro if my PC is under a lot of load and something is using up all the CPU which I think makes reWASD lag. Maybe you could test not using the gyro at all and just holding down a button over something like notepad, and see if it also gets interrupted. That would tell you if it's the gyro or an overall connection issue with the joycon that's happening.

It could very well be the bluetooth adapter also as I had lots of issues with my past ones. I can recommend the ASUS BT400 as I use it every day but I do have it pretty closeby and unimpeded to the JoyCon.

Comment

hi yonkey, how did you find the performance before you had this issue? do you use ratcheting? I'm trying to make a setup that does not require ratcheting

Comment

I've come across this intermittent stuttering with the gyro issue, also misclicked buttons, a couple times with only one right Joy Con linked to my Azeron. It's weird.

Considering that reWASDer is checking extensively to see the program is communicating properly with the controller, and assuming the game being played is not overtly exerting the CPU, I'm willing to bet something's weak with Bluetooth communication, likely that there is either interference caused by a less powerful Bluetooth adapter or the Nintendo Switch Joy Con's antenna is not strong enough to communicate with the receiver.

Focusing on the last point, don't think that new Joy Cons will solve the problem; intermittent communication issues have been a problem with Joy Cons since they launched 5 years ago. Even when playing in table top mode or very close to the docked Switch, Joy Cons can have a hard time staying consistent with their connections at all times, caused by design flaws with the internal shielding interfering or the low quality antennas inside the controllers. Newer Joy Cons have had motherboard revisions to redirect antenna communication, but it may not be enough if the parts inside that are interfering are still too weak for communication.

I've never noticed communication issues in gyro lag on any gyro-enabled controller except the Joy Cons; Pro Controller has no issues in my experience. It's worth checking around if there's any way to improve the antenna hardware inside the Joy Con, as I'm not sure what more reWASD can do to mitigate gyro stutters. Googling "joy con antenna upgrade" shows a couple similar anecdotes.

NOTE: I do NOT recommend anyone try to immediately replace the antenna as a way to solve this specific issue. I don't know if it will, but it's worth trying only if: you have experience repairing Joy Cons, and the wireless communication inside your controllers is overall misbehaving outside reWASD.
                            Last edited by DaMu; 07.02.2022, 06:21. Reason: Additional disclaimer

Comment

Hello DaMu !

Thank you for sharing, interesting information. Just curious which adapter do yo use?

Comment

Working...
                              X