Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I Use a USB Pedal as a Shift Modifier?

Collapse
This topic has been answered.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I Use a USB Pedal as a Shift Modifier?

If I were to get this USB foot pedal switch, would I be able to group it with my elite controller (series 2) and use it as a shift modifier so I don't have to make one of the controller paddles the shift modifier anymore? I'm struggling to squeeze as much functionality as I can into four paddles without having to shift, long press, double press, etc. Offloading the shift modifier to another device would make it so much easier. The image links to the item on Amazon. I've seen the supported devices list on help.rewasd.com but I was hoping that such a basic input device could be made to work for my use case. If this isn't currently possible, would implementing some sort of generic customizable HID be possible for an update in the future?
    image of a USB foot pedal switch from Amazon
    Can I use this USB foot pedal switch as a shift modifier for a grouped controller?
  • Answer selected by reWASDer at 11.01.2022, 10:55.

Originally Posted by MuSoL79 View Post

Hi and you use in??
    Yes, I use it. I've used it for a few different use cases. I can say for certain that it's excellent for Push-To-Talk or as a Shift Modifier for a lowered Response Curve for those that have trouble with fine motor control. It could be used to quickly change zoom level or really anything you want it to. I definitely recommend it. It's that one extra button I really needed.

If you decide to get one, ReWASD recognizes it as a keyboard, just like 1ncorrect said. You'll have to group it with another device to make it work. Here is a link to the "Group of devices" help page just in case anybody reading this doesn't know what I mean.

Comment

Hey there!

This device must be recognized as a keyboard in reWASD.
      You need to group this "keyboard" with your controller and assign a shift-modifier button to the pedal.

Comment

Originally Posted by 1ncorrect View Post
        Hey there!

This device must be recognized as a keyboard in reWASD.
        You need to group this "keyboard" with your controller and assign a shift-modifier button to the pedal.
        Would it be recognized as a keyboard?

Comment

Originally Posted by Jorinth View Post

Would it be recognized as a keyboard?
          We do not have this particular model to test for sure, but according to the description of this device from Amazon, it should be recognized as a keyboard without problems.

Comment

I just received the foot switch today. It works!

I had to download their software to choose which key input I wanted to save to the device. It didn't even require installation and was surprisingly feature filled. It allowed me to set the switches input to F24, a key input that apparently exists. So now I just open up ReWASD and assign whatever I want to F24 and it works.

Thank you ReWASD!

Comment

Originally Posted by Jorinth View Post
              I just received the foot switch today. It works!

I had to download their software to choose which key input I wanted to save to the device. It didn't even require installation and was surprisingly feature filled. It allowed me to set the switches input to F24, a key input that apparently exists. So now I just open up ReWASD and assign whatever I want to F24 and it works.

Thank you ReWASD!
              Hi and you use in??

Comment

Originally Posted by MuSoL79 View Post

Hi and you use in??
                Yes, I use it. I've used it for a few different use cases. I can say for certain that it's excellent for Push-To-Talk or as a Shift Modifier for a lowered Response Curve for those that have trouble with fine motor control. It could be used to quickly change zoom level or really anything you want it to. I definitely recommend it. It's that one extra button I really needed.

If you decide to get one, ReWASD recognizes it as a keyboard, just like 1ncorrect said. You'll have to group it with another device to make it work. Here is a link to the "Group of devices" help page just in case anybody reading this doesn't know what I mean.

Comment

Working...
                X