Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a way to make a button stop firing when another button is pressed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a way to make a button stop firing when another button is pressed?

In Elden Ring, I use one button to sprint (mapped to Space), and I use another button to roll (mapped to a combo that presses and releases B instantly). Roll and sprint are actually the same command in Elden Ring, where holding down the command makes you sprint but releasing the command makes you roll, so I do this setup to have access to both sprinting and instant rolls. However, I still have to release my sprint button to use my roll button, since they share the same in-game command. Is there any way to make my sprint button stop firing when I press my roll button, so that I can roll while holding down sprint?

reWASD is unable to force-release an already held button with another one.

I suggest making a combo of tapping the Space button twice for roll (with 20ms between taps), what should act as "release Space" and then "tap Space to roll" and would still roll only once if Space is not held at the moment.

Comment

Originally Posted by Shion View Post
      reWASD is unable to force-release an already held button with another one.

I suggest making a combo of tapping the Space button twice for roll (with 20ms between taps), what should act as "release Space" and then "tap Space to roll" and would still roll only once if Space is not held at the moment.
      Thanks for the suggestion! I've been playing around with this idea, using various timings and button combos, but I can't get it to work consistently, and I think it's because I'm still holding down sprint *after* rolling, so the "release space" command is being overwritten or something. I'm not sure how to get around this, because needing to release sprint to roll just recreates the original problem of not having instant rolls.

Comment

Last thing I can suggest is to set [Virtual keyboard repeat rate] to [Do not repeat] and try again. This way press and release events would be sent only once.

Comment

Originally Posted by Shion View Post
          Last thing I can suggest is to set [Virtual keyboard repeat rate] to [Do not repeat] and try again. This way press and release events would be sent only once.
          I was not able to get it working with this feature either, but I appreciate the suggestion.

Comment

Hey!
            It looks like it can't be done at the moment. We'll look into adding the ability to disable the button when it's used in a combo.

Comment

I'm pretty sure your looking to remove game multifunction in game binds.
              This mod might be exactly what your looking for.

EMU Light - Enhanced Moveset Utility
              Can be used online. Lessens input delay via dedicated roll key, Pause game key, Individual hotkeys for Spells and Items, 6 Pouch hotkeys,Automatic Save file backup,

Comment

Originally Posted by mitchkdrose View Post
                I'm pretty sure your looking to remove game multifunction in game binds.
                This mod might be exactly what your looking for.

EMU Light - Enhanced Moveset Utility
                Can be used online. Lessens input delay via dedicated roll key, Pause game key, Individual hotkeys for Spells and Items, 6 Pouch hotkeys,Automatic Save file backup,
                Thank you, this is indeed what I needed. I actually tried EMU Light before reWASD and only decided against using both because I didn't want multiple programs managing my inputs at the same time, but using EMU Light and reWASD together is definitely the easiest solution here.

Comment

Hello, I am wondering if there's anything in the 6.2 update that makes this possible now? To recap, I want to be able to force-release an already held button by pressing another button/combo.

Comment

Hello!
                    At the moment, this feature has not yet been added. We will let you know when it appears.

Comment

Hahaha, look like i am not the only one having the same issue...

Here is my old note about this problem
                      --- why just duplicate the space (running key) to mouse wheel(or any other key) won't work ?
                      Unlike sekiro, this game just don't accept the output(real/software or other device) of the other duplicated run/roll key(down or up signal), when a running key(space) is holding ,
                      So a small break/pause and release key (from space) is needed so the duplicated key can send roll output when needed.---

Another outside programmer solve this for me , since you didn't want multiple programs to managing your inputs i will not disclose it here. (I don't want to ask his permission anyway... )

The logical behind it is when B is pressed while you are running (holding space) , it will block space's output and send out roll signal(macro) to the game . One it(roll) is done, it will resume the function of space(when you are still holding space of course) so you will run seamlessly after the roll without any delay in-between .

Comment

Sounds like a good solution! Thanks.

Comment

Originally Posted by ControlFreak View Post
                          Hahaha, look like i am not the only one having the same issue...

Here is my old note about this problem
                          --- why just duplicate the space (running key) to mouse wheel(or any other key) won't work ?
                          Hey ControlFreak, I'm happy but not surprised to see other people with the same concern lol. Can you explain what you mean by duplicating the running key to mouse wheel or any other key? Shion and I were trying to figure out a way to block or force-release the input in the earlier posts in this thread, not sure if you saw those. If you mean putting the same input on both my sprint and roll buttons, that does not work - I'm not sure what's going on under the hood in this situation, but trying to interrupt my running key by pressing the running key again with a different button only results in walking for a moment before sprinting again. Like you, I expected the duplicated input to interrupt the sprint and result in a roll, but that does not happen.

Comment

Okay so I used a keyboard tester to get a better idea of how reWASD handles duplicated inputs overriding one another, and now I understand why interrupting the input does not result in a roll. Doing it this way only causes the sprint/roll key to be released once, and because we are already sprinting, releasing the sprint key only results in a walk, not a roll. The sprint/roll key would have to be pressed and released a second time for a roll to come out. Shion's suggestion to make a combo that double taps the sprint/roll key would seem to fix this issue, but it does not for reasons I don't understand - sometimes the combo results in a roll, sometimes it merely stops my sprint, and adjusting the delay between keys does not help. If I try to offload the problem from reWASD onto ER by using a *different* key for both sprint and roll, I run into the problem you describe in your post, where ER only accepts one sprint or roll input regardless of the key used.

By the way, I'm interested in the "outside programmer" solution you mentioned! If it's EMU Light though, I tried that for a while but it has its own issues, so I ended up dropping it.

Comment

I am done with the problem and the game for a long time ,but i will try my best to explain the problem even some of the details are gone by time or even wrong without retesting them.

Let's bring up the Sekiro again (hope you played already).

Sekiro basically share the same control method of running and roll/dodge as ER. But the main different is sekiro let you press another sprint/running/roll buttons to dodge/roll while you still holding the "first" running button.
                              That "another buttons" can be the other real keyboard space or a gamepad L1/R1 or a virtual/software button/command you created which do the same. When the game receive any additional running button signal(key down) it will start rolling as it think you are mashing the same running button again for rolling.

But ER you can only roll when the running/roll is released and then mashing any running /roll button.

The logical of the solution is to send a stop signal of running when B(any key you wanted to be the roll button) is fired and then send the roll command(mashing). Because the first running button is blocked, the game don't care you are still holding it or not and will receive the mashing command as roll.

When the roll command is done it will resume the first running key function and the game will count it as running.

Flow
                              Holding A(running) > Press B(block A signal + mashing roll command) > B key up(check A is holding or not , if yes send running command , if no reset A to normal)

Because this logical is kind of using conditions, my brain is full of fat so i don't know the current ver. of rewasd can do it alone or not. (And i do not own/understand the macro function of rewasd.)

I am using AutoHotkey for this case(Actually it can solve a lot of personal problems...If you put time to learn it). If you don't know how to make a script with it, reddit and their forum are your friend. (I got the scirpt by explaining the problem to them)

Time to continue watching stranger things , good luck for everything.

Comment

Working...
                              X