Problem with keys on keyboard staying pressed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with keys on keyboard staying pressed

Keys on the physical keyboard are mapped as buttons on the virtual controller. The games I play use either a keyboard or a controller, so the physical keyboard keys are muted in the virtual controller layer. And I may shift layers frequently so that I can control my game with the physical keyboard as well.

One problem has arisen here. When I shift to the virtual controller layer while holding down a key on the keyboard, only the action of releasing the key is muted and remains pressed. This causes the character to continue moving on its own. I would have to go back to the physical keyboard layer and press and release that key.

Now I am careful to take my hand off the key at the moment of switching, but is there any way to solve this with reWASD?

Hi!
    Open → General and make sure the option Re-press the held button when switching the Shift layer is checked.

Comment

Hey there! Could you please also send me the config you are using to check? Right-click on the config's name to open the contextual menu and choose Open file location. I will need the correspondent *.rewasd file.

Comment

The items you mentioned were already checked. But the behavior did not change whether it was on or off.
        I have created a new config with minimal content for testing. Please see attached.

My operating procedure:
        Press LShift to jump to Shift4.
        Hold D on the keyboard and press LShift again.
        Jumps to Shift 0, but D remains pressed.

To check keystrokes from outside the game, I used NohBoard.

While testing, I noticed a workaround.
        In the Shift4 layer, I tried muting the W key on a physical keyboard and mapping the W key. Then, even if I did the same operation, it did not remain pressed.
        Perhaps this was required from the beginning?
        Attached Files

Comment

Hey!
          We were unable to reproduce the issue. Please record a video if possible.

Comment

The event that is occurring was recorded. Considering the possibility of a problem with a particular keyboard, I tried with two different keyboards, a gaming keyboard and a general office keyboard, but the result was the same.

Other points where my environment differs from the usual environment are that it is Windows 11 and the OS and keyboard are in Japanese. My reWASD is the latest version(6.1.1.5716).

As a programmer myself, I know that it is very difficult to solve problems that do not reproduce. Tell me if you need anything.

Comment

Hello!

Thank you for the video, I have manage to reproduce the issue now.

And there is no way to fix it from our side, so you had a perfect solution now — then W is remapped to itself and muted.

When you use Do not inherit, reWASD just doesn't emulate anything on your key. So, the system itself sends W-down events when it is pressed and held. Once you switch from Shift 1 to Main Layer, reWASD automatically starts emulating the stick from Main Layer and mutes the native behavior of your key, so the system stops sending W-down events but it also doesn't emulate W-up because the key was stopped. That's why you get a sticky key.

Your solution is perfect This way, reWASD controls the whole process and emulates the pressed W instead of the system.

Also, you can try to switch Re-press the held button when switching the Shift layer off — and then reWASD won't emulate the stick immediately after you switched to the Main Layer but will start doing it only with the next key press, and so the system will have a chance to release the key natively.

Comment

That's interesting. I was wondering why it couldn't be reproduced, so I'm glad it's not a complicated problem.
                Thank you for your kind support.

Comment

We are always glad to help!

Comment

Working...
                  X