Inconsistent button presses with Regular and Long Press

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inconsistent button presses with Regular and Long Press

I've been noticing lately that sometimes a button I have Regular and Long Press on (possibly other activators/press types too, haven't checked) and try to activate the Regular Press, it will sometimes miss the input possibly because I'm pressing and releasing the button too fast. Here's the setup.

Right Bumper: Regular Press = Last Weapon; Long Press = Weapon Wheel

If I try to switch to my last weapon, I have to make sure to press the button down for a few milliseconds longer before releasing in order for it to always work. Otherwise sometimes it'll switch weapons, and other times it'll do nothing. I have thought about using Start Press instead, but I need to be able to interrupt it with the Long Press, which I don't think you can do with a Start Press.

Is there any info on this like a fix, reason, or anything else? I've never had this problem using Steam Input or other software.

Hello!

Single (Regular) Press works if you press and release a button before Long Press Time. At the moment when reWASD emulates it, the physical button is already released, and so the whole mapping is emulated during a few ms in this case. Indeed, it may be a chance that the game doesn't register the mapping if it requires a longer press. Could you please let me know which game does it, so we could test it from our side? Also, please describe which mappings you use for your inn-game actions on both activators.

You may try to solve the issue by replacing a mapping on the Single Press activator to the combo with the same button and pause in the middle. Something like I have here:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ad2b2802fe.png
Views:	312
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	231874

Comment

The suggested combo action seemed to make it a lot more reliable. It still misses sometimes, but that may be an issue with my controller. (an SN30 Pro Plus) But in case it helps anyway, I'll provide more information.

What game is a little complicated, as I'm playing the GZDoom source port for Doom (1993) modded, one mod (called "Gearbox") adding the option to switch to last used weapon and add the weapon wheel. I believe this happens in any game, as I've had it happen in the original Half-Life as well so feel free to use that or anything else.

Note that both of these are on the right bumper of the controller and that the game supports simultaneous mouse and gamepad support, and the right bumper's native behavior is muted.
      Activator - Bound key/button - ingame action
      Regular Press - Right Bumper - Last Used Weapon
      Long Press - Z - Weapon Wheel

Just in case, I'll post a picture of my bindings.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally Posted by Non-Employee View Post
        ...It still misses sometimes...
        Pause gives game the time to detect the pressed button and it seems 30ms is not always enough, so increase the value to 50ms or more until it works consistently.

Comment

50ms seems to be the sweet spot, as its so far completely consistent. Thanks for that!

One thing I'd like to add though is this is only a problem with gamepad binds. If I bind the right bumper to a keyboard key instead, it doesn't have this issue. I don't know if this is a software issue, limitation, or something else.

Comment

Usually games poll controller status once per frame (every 17ms on stable 60fps). So unless your fps is unstable and goes as low as 20 sometimes, I'd say it is a problem within the game.

Comment

Working...
            X