Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting an 'aticfx32.dll' error message

Hi there,

I'll try to explain my situation as brief but also as precise as possible.
    And I'll preface all this by saying, under normal circumstances ReWASD works perfectly well on my system. However...

I'm a big retro fan and as such have sought out a way to connect my gaming PC to a CRT television. It's totally doable, but requires a modified ATI GPU driver to make it possible. After putting in the ATI GPU (with a Nvidia GPU as a primary GPU) and the default driver for it is installed ReWASD still behaves normally. After installing the modified driver, I'll get an error message upon starting ReWASD.
    It says: "C:windows\system32\aticfx32.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media"
    This will come up again two times after clicking the message away and then, as far as I can judge, ReWASD functions normally. But this message pops up on every Windows boot when ReWASD starts up. And it's always in the foreground, so ignoring it is not an option.
    There is no aticfx32.dll in that folder and getting the DLL online and placing it there did not fix it.

Now it is pretty obvious that it has something to do with the driver, since this only comes up after installing it. Uninstalling the driver makes the error go away. But my goal is to play on the CRT with the convenience of ReWASD handling all my input needs.

I know it's a long shot, but I thought maybe you folks know what specifically is causing this and how to fix it. Or have any idea what's going on.
    Also (but maybe my memory is failing me on this one) I'm convinced that ReWASD worked the last time I had my PC set up like this. That was at the end of 2021.

I'm going to post on the forum of that driver aswell to tackle to problem from both sides.

This error is shown when some app tries to load up a DLL file that is either not a system library file, or a library meant to be used on different system architecture.

We had similar cases before when for some reason zero-sized DLL files were created in the reWASD folder, which resulted in showing similar errors every time reWASD was started. We implemented a fix for this issue, so whoever tries to load that library is most likely not reWASD.

In your case, I would suggest doing a full search for the "aticfx32.dll" file (everywhere, not just in the system32 folder) and manually removing the ones that have zero bytes size.

Comment

Thanks for your response.

Unfortunately none of the "aticfx32.dll" files that came up through the search (searched the whole PC) are zero-sized.

Comment

Try uninstalling reWASD completely using the command line:
        1. Run "Command Promt" (cmd.exe) as administrator. You need to type "cmd.exe" in the Windows taskbar search. Once it is found, right-click it and choose "run as administrator" option
        2. Switch to reWASD folder. Type cd "C:\Program Files\reWASD" and press Enter
        3. Type reWASDService.exe -drvuninstall and press Enter
        4. Restart your PC
        5. Manually remove "C:\Program Files\reWASD" folder
        6. Restart your PC again
        7. Try to install the new version from rewasd from scratch

Turn off your firewall and antivirus during reinstallation.​

Comment

Working...
        X