Controller stick not reaching 100%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Controller stick not reaching 100%

So after about a year of using reWASD, I just noticed a problem with my controller after turning on input display in-game.

If reWASD is active, I can only reach 99% when holding full left or right on my left stick, and even that 99% is very precise

If reWASD is not active I can easily reach the 100% in-game, there is a tiny bit of leeway so I dont even need to be that precise with it

My controller is Xbox Elite Series 2 controller

Basically the only game I play with the controller is Trackmania, and in that game 99% is absolutely not good enough

Any idea what might be the issue if its my side, if there are any settings I could change to fix this or anything else would be appreciated.

Please send me the config you are using. Your configs are stored here: C:\Users\Public\Documents\reWASD\Profiles
    ​​​​​​​I need the correspondent *.rewasd file.

Comment

Originally Posted by 1ncorrect View Post
      Please send me the config you are using. Your configs are stored here: C:\Users\Public\Documents\reWASD\Profiles
      I need the correspondent *.rewasd file.
      here you go, the left stick settings are default with the exception of me adding a deadzone to the curve
      Attached Files

Comment

It looks like it has to do with the physical state of your controller stick. The reWASD virtual stick is cut off to form a circle. This means that you can get 100% deflection only by accurately deflecting the stick to the left or right. At other angles, this deflection value will be different.

Open the gamepad tester. Apply the config and run Circularity Test. After checking your config on my gamepad, I did not find any issues.​

Comment

Alright, after checking it with the gamepad tester, I can see that with reWASD disbaled, the default shape on my controller sticks is more of a squircle which is why reaching the 100% deflection is easy.
          When I enable reWASD it turns it into a circle.

Is there a way to either add some kind of an outside deadzone or to make the shape more square than it is? The way it is now is literally making the reWASD unusable in my case, where I only require one axis of the stick.

I also happened to have another Elite Series 2 controller lying around and tested it with identical results, which means that this is a common thing with this particular controller.

Below are the results from testing my main controller, holding the stick at the angle limit where I still get 100% deflection, with and without reWASD

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_459.png
Views:	617
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	235176

Name:	Screenshot_460.png
Views:	653
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	235175

Comment

The problem can be solved if you use Native mapping without creating a virtual controller. But in this case, the use of combos and other non-standard mappings is not available. ​

Comment

Can you please specify what problem you have in game when your get only 99% stick radius instead of 100%? The fact is that almost no game relies on it - most games have outer deadzone, where everything, for example after 90% is already considered as maximum! That is because all controllers are different and some of them cannot reach 100% even at factory and must be recalibrated. So normally games do not depend on your full stick range - either 95% or 99% usually does not matter and is the same for most game engines.

Comment

Originally Posted by RAM Stealer View Post
                The problem can be solved if you use Native mapping without creating a virtual controller. But in this case, the use of combos and other non-standard mappings is not available. ​
                there would be no reason at all for me to use reWASD if it werent for the combos, therefor this solution just doesnt work for me.

Originally Posted by DevX View Post
                Can you please specify what problem you have in game when your get only 99% stick radius instead of 100%? The fact is that almost no game relies on it - most games have outer deadzone, where everything, for example after 90% is already considered as maximum! That is because all controllers are different and some of them cannot reach 100% even at factory and must be recalibrated. So normally games do not depend on your full stick range - either 95% or 99% usually does not matter and is the same for most game engines.
                The only game I play with a controller is Trackmania and in Trackmania there is no kind of outer deadzone, 99% steering and 100% steering produce completely different paths.
                Granted, the input display I use in-game is not using raw data, but assuming 100% deflection is as precise as it was on the gamepad tester then it is still essentially impossible to reach said angle during actual play.

If there was a way to add an outside deadzone(fullzone?) or change the zone shape to more of a square it would fully fix the issue. Being able to bypass the reWASD stick settings and just fully copying the native controller output would also fix the issue in at least my case.

By searching the forums I can find a post from 2019 of someone asking for square zones in reWASD and from looking at the comments of it it seems that even after 2 and a half years of promising it to be added 'in one of the next patches' it has not been added in yet.

Outer deadzones are not a thing in all games, and just like me a lot of players might not even notice they are not reaching 100% stick input. The way it is now I am going to have to personally start looking for some alternatives to reWASD so I can actually get the full input out of my controller.

Comment

Originally Posted by Janet View Post

If there was a way to add an outside deadzone(fullzone?) or change the zone shape to more of a square it would fully fix the issue. Being able to bypass the reWASD stick settings and just fully copying the native controller output would also fix the issue in at least my case.
                  You can set the outer deadzone by shifting the last point of the response curve to the left along the X axis, but at the same time it would reach the maximum value along the Y axis.
                  Then the stick will reach 100% before you deflect it to the edge.​

Name:	image.png
Views:	671
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	235184

Comment

Originally Posted by 1ncorrect View Post

You can set the outer deadzone by shifting the last point of the response curve to the left along the X axis, but at the same time it would reach the maximum value along the Y axis.
                    Then the stick will reach 100% before you deflect it to the edge.​

Name:	image.png
Views:	671
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	235184
                    Sadly I guess this wouldnt solve my issue either, because even then I would need to have the stick at a perfect 90 degree angle to reach the 100%. And when I say perfect I really mean that it would need to be so perfect that I could argue nobody would consistently hit it during actual play.

Comment

Without the implementation of a square stick in reWASD, this will not work. I hope that this feature will not be long in coming.
                      Keep for updates!​

Comment

I have this exact same problem for the exact same reason. 99% in trackmania just isn't good enough and it took me so long to figure out this was what was going on. I'm using the Elite series 1 controller but it's the same issue.

Needing an exact 90 degrees to hit 100% deflection is an impossible standard in actual usage, which is why the native controller has about 10 degrees up and down that still counts for 100%. Hopefully it can be fixed soon in an update.

Comment

Hello! We are already preparing a solution for this problem and plan to add it in future updates. It won't arrive in the nearest reWASD update and will be in the next one.

Comment

Hello

I'm happy to inform you that reWASD added Squared Sticks settings for virtual controllers. You can check how it works right now

Comment

Working...
                            X