Forcing DS3 face buttons to analog only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forcing DS3 face buttons to analog only

I can't seem to find the answer in the software or the forums. Is there a way to force the DualShock 3 controller's face buttons (the pressure sensitive buttons) to respond as analog only to games? I've tried testing with a few games (TDU2, Grid Autosport, Shift 2) and they do not prioritize analog over digital for those buttons, so I can't map the analog inputs.

Could you specify what mappings you want to assign to these buttons and describe your use case in more detail?

Thanks in advance.​

Comment

The use case is analog input in racing games (analog buttons for acceleration, braking, handbrakes, etc...). There's not really any mapping changes, I don't think, since the DS3 already has analong axes assigned to each face button (cross, circle, square, triangle), but providing a switch so either the analog response takes priority or the digital response is turned off would be nice.

Comment

There is no way to "force" buttons of the DualShock 3 controller to work as analog because they always do.
        But when remapping to any virtual controller except DualShock 3, the analog part would be ignored because other virtual controllers don't support this feature.

So, to use the analog data from these buttons, you would have to:
        • remap these buttons to analog inputs of a target virtual controller (like a stick or a trigger)
        • remap their zones to other keys/buttons: for example, the low zone for braking, the high zone for handbrake, etc.
        • or remap it to a virtual DualShock 3, which the game must fully support.

Comment

Well, that's disappointing. MotionInJoy allowed that, even so much that you could remap the buttons to specific axes +/- input. Was wanting to buy this software, but without the ability to do this, it does not fit my needs. Thanks, though!
          Last edited by netracerx; 20.02.2023, 16:09.

Comment

You can remap all analog buttons to other axis on any virtual controller, as Shion replied to you. Please specify what functionality are you missing?

Comment

Okay, I'm not trying to remap from one axis on say, a DS3, to an axis on a Virtual XBox controller. I'm trying to use the software to expose the native mappings on a DS3, with the drivers your software provides. The SIXAXIS drivers from Sony do not provide support for the analog face buttons, and I've not found any other solution that does but your software. DsHidMini is working on that, but the developer hasn't provided an updated version of his software since 2021. What I'm asking is actually rather simple, disable the digital input on the DS3 through the Virtual DS3 controller, so when I press X, I get the analog input from the X button on the controller exposed to whatever game I'm playing. Many games default to the digital input from the DS3, with no way to specify the analog input instead. So, if I'm setting up my controller for TDU2, it will see the digital input only. I can't tell it to use the analog input from the X button for acceleration. Yes, theoretically, it should see the input as it's exposed via the input API, but the game won't see it. Not even GRID Autosport sees it. So, to get around that, it would be nice IF I could tell reWASD to just tell the Virtual DS3 controller to ONLY expose the analog input from the real DS3. Does that make sense at all?

Comment

You must understand that no Windows game can recognize DS3 controller and see its analog buttons, only Playstation 3 console does it or some emulator eg. RPCS3. So first you must clarify what games you mean. Do you want analog buttons to be natively seen in emulator? Next thing: DS3 controller reports both digital and analog values for all buttons at the same time - you don't and can't force anything. It is application (game) which decides which of them to use if it sees DS3 controller natively. Virtual DS3 controller cannot expose ONLY analog buttons - it always reports both digital bits and analog axes, like real DualShock 3, at the SAME time.

Comment

I've done it before, with games, where I can set the controller through DirectInput or even XInput to expose face button presses as analog input. Even by telling the controller software to map said input to a specific axis. It can be done. But that's neither here nor there, you have one view and I have personal experience, and neither seem to be able to meet. I'm not here to troll or to annoy, I just asked a question which does not seem to have a satisfactory answer.

Comment

Feel free to ignore or even delete this thread, I don't want to be an annoyance.

Comment

Even by telling the controller software to map said input to a specific axis. It can be done.
                      This is what we were talking about: reWASD can remap the face buttons of a DS3 controller as analog to a stick or a trigger ("specific axis") of a virtual controller (DS3/4 - D-input, Xbox 360/One - X-input).

Check these articles for details:

Comment

Don't worry about it, you're still not answering my question nor resolving my particular use case. I don't think you're understanding what I'm asking. I'm not trying to map the face buttons to another axis for a stick or trigger (that defeats the purpose), I'm trying to expose ONLY the analog input for the face buttons. You say it can't be done with your software (actually, you say not at all), and I say it can be done IN software, just not with YOUR software. That's okay. I'll wait to see what DsHidMini can do when he finally gets around to updating his software package.

Comment

What you want is not possible to do in ANY software. DsHidMini it also creates own virtual controller on top of your DS3 (DInput or other one) and maps analog axis to it.
                          That's it.

Comment

Working...
                          X