Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you use Shift-layers on controller RT and LT both separately and simultaneously?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you use Shift-layers on controller RT and LT both separately and simultaneously?

Just bought the full version, loving it so far, WAAAAYYY better than using ingame macros lol.

I use it for FF14, but I'm wondering if there is a way to set up shift-layers the way that FF14 does the cross-hotbar.

Basically, I would like holding Right Trigger to be Shift-Layer 1,
    holding Left Trigger to be Shift-Layer 2,
    and then while holding Right Trigger down already, if I then hold Left Trigger (so now they are both held), that would be Shift-Layer 3?

If I make a combo, I have to release Right Trigger and then press RT and LT at the same time to get to Shift-Layer 3. Instead what I would like is, if, while holding RT (so I'm on shift-layer 1), I start holding LT, then it goes to Shift-layer 3, and if I let go of LT but keep holding RT, it goes back to Shift-Layer 1 (and if I release them both, it goes to main layer). Is this possible?

Thanks!

Hello! I tried to do it in the config in the attachment. You can use it as a base or copy the mappings. Each of the triggers activates its own Layer (1 or 2), but if one of them is already pressed, the second one will activate Layer 3.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally Posted by RAM Stealer View Post
      Hello! I tried to do it in the config in the attachment. You can use it as a base or copy the mappings. Each of the triggers activates its own Layer (1 or 2), but if one of them is already pressed, the second one will activate Layer 3.
      Thanks it worked! I had to modify it slightly because when releasing one of the two triggers, I wanted it to go back to the layer that was still being pressed instead of main layer. So, basically now, when holding RT it goes to SL1, LT to SL2, if RT is pressed, then pressing LT goes to SL3, and when you release LT it goes back to SL1.

One thing though, if I'm pressing both (and, so, on SL3) if I release both then usually it returns to Main Layer. But sometimes (only if I started by pressing RT) if I release both, it gets stuck on SL1 even though nothing is pressed. This only happens if I start by pressing RT. If I started with LT first, it never seems to get stuck. Is this probably a controller issue? My controller buttons have all become poorly responsive, getting a new one, but wondering if this is caused by hardware or software. Thanks!

Comment

The idea here is to use [Custom Shift jumps] on [Start/Release Press] activators based on the selected [Shift layer]. You can use the config attached as an example.

Originally Posted by norekp View Post
        One thing though, if I'm pressing both (and, so, on SL3) if I release both then usually it returns to Main Layer. But sometimes (only if I started by pressing RT) if I release both, it gets stuck on SL1 even though nothing is pressed. This only happens if I start by pressing RT. If I started with LT first, it never seems to get stuck. Is this probably a controller issue?
        This might be a bug. We will look into it.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally Posted by Shion View Post
          The idea here is to use [Custom Shift jumps] on [Start/Release Press] activators based on the selected [Shift layer]. You can use the config attached as an example.

This might be a bug. We will look into it.
          I think I might have figured it out. If you release one trigger at a time, it will always go back to the main layer, because both SL1 and SL2 go back to the main layer. SL3, however, goes back to SL1 and SL2 instead, so if you release them both at the same time (meaning you're currently on SL3) it might be trying to go back from SL3, which is not able to go back to main layer. But if you release them one a time (even releasing together but slightly off), it's already gone from SL3 back to SL1 or SL2, so then it goes back to the main layer. From this I would assume, the difference occurs when the triggers are released EXACTLY together, or slightly off.

I'm not sure if there's any way around this if I want to maintain the desired effect similar to FFXIV's controller function, which is:
          - LT = SL1
          - RT = SL2
          - Pressing one trigger when the other is already pressed = SL3
          - Releasing one trigger when on SL3 goes back to either SL1 or SL2 (depending on which one is still being held)
          - Releasing both triggers when on SL3 goes back to main layer (this is the only thing not working, if it gets stuck on SL1, then to get back to main layer I have to push LT again. If I push RT it just goes back to SL2, since it is stuck on SL1).

I'm not sure if there's a way around this using custom layer shift. If I just set a combo action (RT+LT) to SL3, the problem is it only works if you press them at the same time, not if you already have one pressed and then press the other.

Thanks!

Comment

Shion sent you the correct config, but the layer jumps on the triggers were configured the other way around
            I fixed it and the config should work as you described.
            No sticking in the layers was observed.​
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally Posted by 1ncorrect View Post
              Shion sent you the correct config, but the layer jumps on the triggers were configured the other way around
              I fixed it and the config should work as you described.
              No sticking in the layers was observed.​
              I tried out this configuration, and I still get stuck occasionally. If only reWASD was able to continue sensing a trigger being held down. It seems like when it changes to a new layer, and back it forgets that it was being held down, it might sense the release however.

There's only been one of these gamepad configurations that have allowed a concept to work, but unfortunately it's no longer in service and since been riddled with viruses: Padstarr

but only two seem to actually allow full alteration of registering gamepad keys to another gamepad key, without the game registering the original. reWASD and Steam, but can't use Steam for the game I wish to use.

Comment

I didn't notice any stucks too. Could you let me know how you recognize this stuck? Are you able to show it in the tester?

Comment

Originally Posted by Miron4ik42 View Post
                  I didn't notice any stucks too. Could you let me know how you recognize this stuck? Are you able to show it in the tester?
                  I have the option to show a notice when the layer changes, so I can easily see which layer it's currently on
                  Gear icon top right -> Overlay
                  Normal Shift is Enabled
                  Toggle Shift is Enabled

Comment

Could you clarify the steps to reproduce these stuck?

Comment

Originally Posted by 1ncorrect View Post
                      Could you clarify the steps to reproduce these stuck?
                      the steps are simple, it's not super common, but pressing both LT and RT, and letting go of both around the same time can cause it to get stuck on either SL 1 or SL 2, pressing LT and RT can fix this, but it's unreliable when in the heat of action, and suddenly what you're wanting to do with the default bindings is using up your skills instead of selecting a target at the moment you need.

if you want to really test just keep pressing both LT and RT together a few times, with the notification of Shift Layers changing turned on, so you can see which one you're on.

Comment

This is a known issue, and we are already working on a fix. However, we can't guarantee that the fix will be included in the next update.

Comment

I have the same issue with a very similar setup (Also for FFXIV). Releasing RT and LT at the same time causes the layer to get stuck somewhere instead of being brought back to the main layer.

Is there any work around to reliably return to the main layer if RT = 0 and LT =0?

Comment

Originally Posted by Geowulf View Post
                            I have the same issue with a very similar setup (Also for FFXIV). Releasing RT and LT at the same time causes the layer to get stuck somewhere instead of being brought back to the main layer.

Is there any work around to reliably return to the main layer if RT = 0 and LT =0?
                            You can achieve this result by making a special shortcut and assigning a return to the main layer to the Release Press activator.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	45
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	242122

Comment

Thank you, this looks to be what I need. I have added this shortcut to all layers (except main) and from what I can tell it is working perfectly.

Comment

Working...
                              X