4 xinput + 4 dinput controllers issue, problem in order of controllers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 xinput + 4 dinput controllers issue, problem in order of controllers

I have 5 XBOX 360 controllers, 1 DualShock 4 and 2 XBOX Series X/S controllers. I have 50 games what I play with 7 friends in local party. I use steam all the time with all these games. 35 of them are using steam input setting on -> that change every controller to xbox 360 or steam controller - no problems at all. I have steam PS controller, xbox controller and xbox extended controller support on in steam controller's settings. These have to be on if you want to play over 4+ XBOX controllers. But I know there might be problem with XBOX extended support with reWASD.

But THE PROBLEM: The last 15 games to play 4+ controllers need to reWASD for something. These games need 4 xinput controllers and 4 dinput controllers. So I have to config some of my controllers to DS4 or to DS3 controllers with reWASD. And for these games need to turn steam input off for steam game-specific settings. The problem is usually with those XBOX X/S controllers because I am using them via bluetooth. It makes double input on some games. And when some controller makes it douple - some controller might not work at all. I don't know why this is happenning. But the weirdest thing is, reWASD is working with all these controllers, autoconfigs and games some day, and then next day NOT.

I will list these 15 games what use reWASD and what I need to get them work :
    Chalo Chalo - working (XBOX X controllers -> XBOX 360 controllers, autoconfig)
    Guts 'N Goals - working (1 x XBOX X controller -> DS4 controller, autoconfig, somehow if I put second XBOX X controller for this - some controller is missing)
    Hoser Hockey - working (XBOX X controllers + one XBOX 360 controller -> DS4 controllers, autoconfig)
    Pengo Royale - working (XBOX X controllers -> XBOX 360 controllers, manually - autoconfig it's not working)
    Tetrux online - working (XBOX X controllers and DS4 controller -> XBOX 360 controllers, manually - autoconfig it's not working)
    Very Very Valet - working (XBOX X controllers, 1 x XBOX 360 controller -> DS4 controllers, autoconfig)
    Wrestledunk Sports - working (XBOX X controllers, 1 x XBOX 360 controller -> DS4 controllers, autoconfig)

Wild Glory - working some days but not always (XBOX X controllers, 1 x XBOX 360 controller, 1 x DS4 controller -> DS3 controllers, autoconfig)
    There will be ink - working some days but not always (XBOX X controllers, 1 x XBOX 360 controller -> DS4 controllers, autoconfig)
    Ultimate Racing 2D - working some days but not always (XBOX X controllers, 1 x XBOX 360 controller -> DS4 controllers, autoconfig)
    ​Roof Rage - working some days but not always (XBOX X controllers, 1 x XBOX 360 controller, 1 x DS4 controller -> DS3 controllers, autoconfig)
    Runbow - working some days but not always (DS4 controller -> XBOX 360 controller, autoconfig)
    Stab Stab Stab! - working some days but not always (XBOX X controllers, 1 x XBOX 360 controller, 1 x DS4 controller -> DS3 controllers, autoconfig)
    Mech Tech (playtest) - working some days but not always (XBOX X controllers, 1 x XBOX 360 controller -> DS4 controllers, autoconfig)
    Hidden in Plain Sight - working some days but not always (XBOX X controllers, 1 x XBOX 360 controller -> DS4 controllers, autoconfig)

I don't know why this is like this, but I think it might be because of XBOX extended support via steam (so drivers there). But I think the problem here is that controller are in wrong order for the game. The games usually pick first 4 xinput and then 4 dinput contollers - maybe some day I connect these controllers in different order to my pc and that's why they are workind some days, and some days not. I have already spend 30-50hrs with this, I would need some help to get them work finally. ​

Just as you have already mentioned, the order in which controllers are connected is important. The same is true for virtual controllers.
    You would have to apply the configs manually in the correct order since [Autodetect] function is inconsistent in that regard.

If you prefer using [Autodetect] anyway, we suggest disabling the [Remove applied config from the slot on exit from the associated app] option at [Preferences > Tray agent], so the connection order would not change when you leave the associated app.

Comment

How I know which is the order now? And which places these virtual controllers are going in this order? Are they going to the first slots or to the last ones?

And is it the only way to change this order just to re-connect every controller again - on different order? Do I have to restart PC too?

Comment

And is there possibility to change virtual controllers order "which slots they take" in reWASD? Doing some of the next:

1. Choose controllers option "Don't show in reWASD" which don't need to remap in reWASD? (I mean -> put extra controllers to blocklist)
        2. Put these extra controllers to "blocklist" from driver/drivers of reWASD, via Registry editor?
        3. Something else?​

Comment

4. Is it possible to change that order if I delete all xbox controllers from Device Manager in Windows and re-install them on some order? And then I just plug them always on the same order? How about bluetooth controllers (Xbox series x controllers and DS4) and virtual ones, could they mix the order? And can I do somethin for it?

Comment

>How I know which is the order now?
            You could use the Gamepad Tester for that.

>And which places these virtual controllers are going in this order? Are they going to the first slots or to the last ones?
            Slots are not related to this case. The order of virtual controllers is literally the order in which they were connected to (created) in the system. You can control that order by manually applying a config to your physical devices.

>And is it the only way to change this order just to re-connect every controller again - on different order?
            Imagine the line of controllers. Without reWASD they are placed according to the order they were connected to the PC.
            The same goes for the virtual controllers, but before one is created/connected, the physical one is hidden by reWASD.
            So the line becomes one controller short, and a virtual controller is added to the end of the line.

>Do I have to restart PC too?​
            No.

>And is there possibility to change virtual controllers order "which slots they take" in reWASD?
            Order can be changed only by disabling remap (removing a virtual controller) and re-applying the configs (hiding the physical and adding a virtual controller).

>Put these extra controllers to "blocklist" from driver/drivers of reWASD, via Registry editor?
            This will only hide the physical devices in reWASD GUI and nothing else.

>Is it possible to change that order if I delete all xbox controllers from Device Manager in Windows and re-install them on some order? And then I just plug them always on the same order?
            You would get the same result if you simply unplug them all and then connect them in the correct order.

>How about bluetooth controllers (Xbox series x controllers and DS4) and virtual ones, could they mix the order?
            I assume the same logic applies no matter what connection is used. Though with Bluetooth the controller is considered to be connected only when you turn it on.

Comment

Thanks for this! It helps me a lot. Don't have to test these all my own. I will try to find the correct order for these games.

Comment

The virtual gamepads work very weird when there is 8 controllers connected to pc. First if I use autoconfig for 4 controllers, some of them take the place in the middle of "line" and the rest will take the place in the end of the line. And then games don't recognize these gamepads properly. And when you exit the associated app, the slots are mixed up again, some controllers take the place behind and some slots stay open. I used this Gamepad Tester to test these things. The common problem for those games was that XBOX series controller (bluetooth) makes duplicate input. But reWASD fix that - when I remap them to other gamepads.

But finally I find out the solution:

First I have to restart pc -> empty slots dissapear (because some of them stays taken for controller which already turned off/disconnected) And now I can make the order what is right for the games and configs. Without mix them up or create some empty slots. I had to connect first 4 xbox 360 controllers - and for these I don't make any configs, they stay native and untouchable. I already hide them for reWASD, so I don't touch them or use them any later configs either. Then I connect 1 xbox 360 controller, and then 3 bluetooth controllers (2 x xbox series and DS4 controllers). And I make every configs to these last 4 controllers. Now configs works properly, only problem is that I must restart pc if I connect these controllers in different order. So only when I play these particular games I must remember to restart pc and connect these order, and I am gonna do that always before local party more than 4 people. And because controllers take power saving mode and not disconnect from pc -> the order doesn't get mixed that way either.

I am not sure do I have to connect all these 8 controllers, even if there would play only 5-7 players, because some games just don't recognize all the controllers if there is empty slot betweens controllers. And these empty slots just happen so easily with virtual ones. I don't know why.

Only the game "Runbow" don't work now. It was working before new controllers. Have to look it later. That game just don't like these Xbox series controllers

But thanks for helpping me! Now it's easier to work with these next time when there is some problems to get 8 controllers to work at the same time in any game.​

Comment

Working...
                X