Weird post-release input issue on a two-button combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird post-release input issue on a two-button combo

Hi folks, new user of the software here. I've been using it to make an old reliable FFXI Playstation 2 controller work for playing FFXIV on my PC, to great success. Forum searches have helped a lot, but this current issue is stumping me.

So I've set a combo that triggers a layer shift when I press and hold both L1 and R1 at the same time, and it does that wonderfully. However, the issue I'm facing is that unless I am very precisely synchronized when I release the buttons, the controls register an additional follow-up pressing of either R1 or L1 when I let go. I'm trying to figure out if there may be some kind of post-release delay option I'm not seeing, or instead maybe a work-around with the L1 and R1 buttons themselves to ignore that accidental register?

Thanks for your time!

Try disabling the [Re-press the held button when switching the Shift layer] option at [Preferences > General].

Comment

Originally Posted by Shion View Post
      Try disabling the [Re-press the held button when switching the Shift layer] option at [Preferences > General].
      Thanks for the tip! I just now tried that, even re-loaded ReWASD, sadly it's not fixing it. Although it may just be my imagination, but maybe it's now giving me a few extra milliseconds of leeway, I can't be sure though.

Comment

Please upload a config file. Right-click on its name in reWASD window and select the [Open file location] option to find it.

Comment

Sure thing, here ya go. For extra info, the game is Final Fantasy XIV, and the controller is a Nyko iType2 PS2 controller connected through a generic USB converter. So far the only of the two-button combos that seems to be having this problem is the L1+R1 shift combo. As far as I can tell from a lot of experimentation, none of the other two-button combos appear to have this issue.
          Attached Files

Comment

As an option, try to adjust the shortcut press time using this slider. Probably, this is key to fixing the issue
            Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	179
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	237923

Try to set up different values. ​

Comment

Originally Posted by Miron4ik42 View Post
              As an option, try to adjust the shortcut press time using this slider. Probably, this is key to fixing the issue
              Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	179
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	237923

Try to set up different values. ​
              Thanks for the advice! I gave it a few experiments, but unfortunately this only seems to delay the pressing of all buttons.

Upon further experimentation, from all things I've tried, what appears to be happening is this: When I press L1+R1 together, the assigned shortcut fires as designed. If I release only one of the buttons while still holding the other, the held button fires again.

However, this does not occur with other two-button combos I've tried. For example, if I press R1+R2 to activate their assigned combo, and then release either one, the other does not fire.

I've tested this with five different combos of the R1/R2 & L1/L2 buttons. So far only the L1+R1 combo is resulting in an additional press upon release. I wish I knew more about the innards of this tool otherwise I'd try to be more descriptive.

Anyway thanks for the assistance so far, still no luck though.

Comment

In an attempt to do a process of elimination, I've further isolated elements that could be causing this input repeat. It's not any of the following:
                • The game: It happens in other games I've tested
                • The physical controller: I've tried three different PS2 controllers, all have the issue
                • Steam: It happens in non-steam games launched without Steam running
                Unless I'm leaving something out, then it could possibly be either the PS2-to-USB adapter itself, the OS/driver related to said adapter, or the ReWASD app (and some setting within that I'm likely missing).

Interesting: As a test I muted the "single press" mapping on R1, and enabled the "Start Press" mapping, and confirmed that it fires immediately upon releasing L1 in the two-button combo. It doesn't do it with the R1+R2 combo, so yeah it's definitely a "return from shift mode" thing.

Comment

I figured out a short-term work-around. I changed the combo from Hold Shift to Custom Shift, and then on the second layer added "Shift to 0" to the Release of R1. It's not perfect, unfortunately, but at least in FFXIV for now it prevents the tricky issue of R1 firing again when I shift back.

Comment

The behavior you describe is quite logical, since in main and in Shift 2 your bumpers work natively as bumpers.
                    Therefore, if you do not ideally release both buttons participating in the shortcut, then the input of the button that was released later will work.
                    I tested this on a gamepad tester and this behavior is reproducible with other variations of the shortcut.

Therefore, it is likely that your workaround is the best solution.​

Comment

The work-around is not really a good solution, but it's the best I can do. The "re-press the held button" option is already unchecked, but this is acting like it's ignoring that option.

Personally, I don't agree that the current action is logical, at least not using your explanation:

> Therefore, if you do not ideally release both buttons participating in the shortcut, then the input of the button that was released later will work.

This isn't what is happening to me. It only does this on layer switches from a Hold shift. Any other two-button combos do not have the same behaviour if the combo release is staggered. For example, setting the same R1+L1 combo to something else entirely does not result in R1 firing again if I only release L1. I am doing this right now in the game repeatedly, releasing one while leaving the other held, and it does not trigger the still-held button's normal function. It only happens to me when a held Shift reverts.

This feels like a bug to me. The "re-press the held button" option is seemingly ignored in multi-button combos.

EDIT: Upon a re-read of this I realize it could be taken as overly-aggressive in tone and I apologize if that is the case, it was definitely not my intention. I do appreciate the input and assistance y'all have provided me so far!
                      Last edited by NPC; 29.06.2023, 15:54.

Comment

I should note that I'm probably just going to ditch this PS2 controller experiment (it seemed like it was worth a try) and go back to using a dualsense with the app. ReWASD seems to like that one more, and having the extra paddles makes this kind of thing a non-issue.

Comment

Working...
                        X