Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combos for Gamepad using Shortcuts are interfering in inputs

Hello!

I'm attempting to set up a few combo macros for Guilty Gear strive. I set it up using the Shortcut function, so that pressing the Right or Left on the D-Pad + X cause the combo to trigger. It works perfectly for that and I have figured out how to do the different inputs. When I push Right+X, the move is executed.

However, reWasd seems to be affecting the input for other directional inputs. When I have this setup activated, and attempt to do a quarter circle (Down, Down+Right, Right) motion + Y to perform an entirelty different move by itself, the game doesn't register the diagonal input for it. It just leaps from Down, to Right and the move is not executed. I deactivate the macro and perform the same motion on the D-Pad, and the move comes out flawlessly with the full quarter circle motion registered.The X button is empty of any ingame inputs, and in theory the Right+X shortcut should not affect the Quarter circle + Y input.

What could be causing this, and is there a way around it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	212
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	238118
    ​​
    Attached Files

I have a theory that the issue is in a pause. Try to add pauses between D-pad mappings or increase the delay between keys in the combo menu. Probably, the game cannot recognize the combo with 10 ms delay

Also, did you check how this combo work in the gamepad tester?

Comment

Add pauses between D-Pad mappings? Do you mean adding a pause in the shortcut itself, or in the combo? The pauses in the combo are set and working.

I realize this is a bit difficult to explain, but let me try to elaborate further. The combo itself tthat I have shown there works just fine. I have a 20ms break between each input. The combo is a half-circle back, forward + Y combination. Let's call this the Combo A, and it's set to be executed with a Right D-Pad + X Shortcut. Combo B is the same, just in reverse, set to Left D-Pad + X combination.

The issue arises when I'm trying to play the rest of the game normally. The character I use has an attack that is Quarter Circle Back + B Key. There's absolutely nothing mapped in reWasd to execute that move, I just want to do it normally. With the Shortcuts active, and the move doesn't work. It is possible to "force it" in a way, if I do the Quarter Circle back very deliberately and slowly, holding down the D-Pad in the diagonal position for a long time, which is not consistent and feasible to do. Please do not consider the execution of Combo A at all. The issue seems to be that part of the Shortcut is mapped to the D-Pad, namely Right or Left. When I am in the game, I can see the readout of the directional input and when I perform the Quarter Circle motion in either direction, it skips from the Down position straight to the Left or Right position, without going through the "middle" diagonal position. It's as if it has created some sort of preference to the Shortcut assigned Keys when executing the directions.

Here, let me provide some screenshots of the ingame readout. This is the motion I'm getting with the Shortcut Combo active.Click image for larger version

Name:	Input Issue.png
Views:	199
Size:	307.4 KB
ID:	238136

And this is the EXACT SAME MOTION PERFORMED ON MY D-PAD, WITHOUT THE SHORTCUTS ACTIVATED:

Name:	Input Issue2.png
Views:	204
Size:	345.7 KB
ID:	238137

As you can see, the the diagonal middle position is being "eaten" by the shortcut somehow. I have tested changing the Shorcut itself to a completely different key, outside of D-Pad entirely, for example to Left Trigger + X, and in that way the inputs remain unaffected. So it really must be something to do with using a D-Pad direction as part of the Shorcut.

Is there any way to correct or circumvent the issue? I need some way to differentiate the Combo executions between the two sides of the screen. You execute it one way if you're on the left, and in the reverse if you are on the right. If there is a more elegant solution to do with the limited amount of buttons on the controller I am open to it as well.

Thank you.​
      ​​
      Attached Files

Comment

For any button used in a [Shortcut] a delay is added. This delay is used to determine if the button was pressed alone or as a part of a shortcut. I suppose that delay is breaking your "manual combo".

If you want to avoid that delay, we suggest using [Shifts] instead of [Shortcuts].

Comment

Originally Posted by Shion View Post
          For any button used in a [Shortcut] a delay is added. This delay is used to determine if the button was pressed alone or as a part of a shortcut. I suppose that delay is breaking your "manual combo".

If you want to avoid that delay, we suggest using [Shifts] instead of [Shortcuts].
          Ah! I appreciate that very much. It seems I'm headed in the right track now using the Shift Layer instead of Shortcuts.

However, now I'm getting another befuddling result. I'm focusing exclusively on the X - Bound Combo for now. Here is the first Layer I have setup:

Views:	211
Size:	1,014.8 KB
ID:	238149
          With this, I can hold Right on the D-Pad and Push X and the combo is executed flawlessly. I can keep holding that direction, and it still works everytime. Here it is ingame:

Name:	More problems.png
Views:	196
Size:	227.5 KB
ID:	238150

I proceeded to setup a second layer for the reverse direction, holding down the Left D-Pad Key, with the same combo also in reverse.

Views:	193
Size:	1,011.9 KB
ID:	238151
          However, I'm getting a different result. When I hold Left D-Pad and push X, the combo is not executed properly. The Right on the D-Pad is never pushed to complete the full half-circle, instead it just moves between Down-Left and Left. Below is the result of the Reversed Layer and Combo ingame:

Name:	More problems2.png
Views:	189
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	238152

I have no idea what's causing this disparity between the performance of the two layers. I'm posting the combos themselves, if you could kindly verify if there's something off about how I've set them up. They seem perfectly mirrored to me. Below is the 1st Layer Combo that functions that way I intend it to.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/SifnsHZ" ><a href="//imgur.com/a/SifnsHZ">Mirrored Combos</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

And here is the mirrored combo which does not execute properly:

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/SifnsHZ" ><a href="//imgur.com/a/SifnsHZ">Mirrored Combos</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Why are the two layers behaving differently ingame?

Again I'd much appreciate any help or a way to circumvent the issue.

Thank you.

Comment

Oh, it seems I have messed up with the last two pictures that I hosted on Imgur (I had reached the max attachment limit) and it is not allowing me to edit the post.

Here are the two comparisons between the mirrored combos.

The working one:

Views:	193
Size:	520.1 KB
ID:	238154
            And the sad, dysfunctional one:

Views:	192
Size:	524.7 KB
ID:	238155
            They seem to be properly mirrored to me so I am a bit confused.

Comment

D-Pad is made so it is impossible to press two opposite buttons at the same time. [Mute] Left D-Pad to let the [Combo] press the Right one.

Comment

D-Pad is made so it is impossible to press two opposite buttons at the same time. [Mute] Left D-Pad to let the [Combo] press the Right one.
                Could you please elaborate on the use of the Mute function? I've seen the page you provided, and I have gone to the Main Layer and Muted the Left D-Pad. There has been no change in the behavior of the combo:

Views:	196
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	238160

I'm still getting the same input result from Layer 2. Is there something else I should do? I have certainly applied the settings.

My other question would be, why is the 1st Layer working perfectly well with me holding the Right D-Pad? It executes the move no matter what.

Thank you again.​

Comment

You still have it remapped to the [Left D-Pad] on the screenshot. The point is to make the button do nothing (remapped to [None] and [Muted]) but switch to another Shift layer. If it would press any of the D-Pad buttons, the opposite button won't work.

Comment

You still have it remapped to the [Left D-Pad] on the screenshot. The point is to make the button do nothing (remapped to [None] and [Muted]) but switch to another Shift layer. If it would press any of the D-Pad buttons, the opposite button won't work.
                    Ah, I see. In that case, I can't use the Left D-Pad at all for movement. I understand that being a limitation, but... why am I getting the Combo being executed in the 1st Layer, with the Right D-Pad? I hold the right, and keep holding it without pause and I get this everytime:

Views:	185
Size:	227.5 KB
ID:	238166

It works flawlessly. There must be some way to replicate it to the other side. I am quite befuddled indeed.

Comment

Please send us the config you are using.

Your configs are stored here: C:\Users\Public\Documents\reWASD\Profiles
                      We need the correspondent *.rewasd file.

Comment

Originally Posted by strokel View Post
                        Please send us the config you are using.

Your configs are stored here: C:\Users\Public\Documents\reWASD\Profiles
                        We need the correspondent *.rewasd file.
                        Here it is.

Just to clarify, in Layer 1, the move utilizing X is working perfectly as I hold the D-Pad to the Right. The move using A does not work like that, nor do the moves in Layer 2.

Thank you.
                        Attached Files

Comment

We have tested your combo, and it works correctly.

Could you please check from your side whether this combo works in the tester?

If the combo works correctly, in this case, we can assume that the issue lies in the specifics of the game; due to the fact that this is a fighting game, then it is technically impossible for the game to make a combo in this direction.​

Note: that the combo is being executed correctly can be seen by changing the input values in the tester.

Comment

Originally Posted by strokel View Post
                            We have tested your combo, and it works correctly.

Could you please check from your side whether this combo works in the tester?

If the combo works correctly, in this case, we can assume that the issue lies in the specifics of the game; due to the fact that this is a fighting game, then it is technically impossible for the game to make a combo in this direction.​

Note: that the combo is being executed correctly can be seen by changing the input values in the tester.
                            I used that test and it seemed ot be inputting correctly as well. It does seem like a strange quirk in the game. Maybe you could test those functions in Guilty Gear on your end sometime!

However, I switched it entirely to input the gamepad buttons into Keyboard ones and reproduced the combos that way, setting the game to Keyboard control mode. I would have done that before, but Guilty Gear doesn't allow for both Gamepad and Keyboard inputs, it has to be one or the other.

It appears to be working much better now. I will do some further testing but thank you Strokel and Shion for the help in this thread.

Comment

Working...
                            X