Cannot download updates either in-app or direct from the website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot download updates either in-app or direct from the website

The ReWASD download server seems to be busted. I'm getting timeouts and complete failures both in the app and from the website. In ReWASD the error is "Failed to connect to server" and in my browser it appears to start downloading but then hangs and fails.

I've tested other downloads on other sites, all are working fine. Not sure what else to check here.

This message appears when our app cannot contact our server (secure.disc-soft.com) for license verification or cannot communicate with its local service.
    reWASD.exe, reWASDEngine.exe, and reWASDService.exe processes should have access to the Loopback Interface (127.0.0.1), the Local Network (192.168.0.* by default), and Internet (or at least to secure.disc-soft.com) to work properly.
    If you are using Windows Firewall, ensure all reWASD rules are enabled for all network types.
    If you use third-party anti-virus or protection software, try adding all reWASD executables to the exclusions or trusted apps list.
    If you use an Eero Security service on your router, please allow the secure.disc-soft.com domain in its settings or disable the service.

To check the availability of our license verification server, do the following:
    1. Run the ping secure.disc-soft.com command. It should resolve as 161.35.212.100, and all packets must reach their destination.
    2. If secure.disc-soft.com is resolved as another IP address, open the C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file and remove any lines that contain the name of our server.
    3. Open the https://secure.disc-soft.com link in a Chrome-based browser. If everything is normal, it should redirect you to our homepage. If it does not, send us a screenshot of the page or error you see instead.

Another possible reason of "Unverified License" error is lack of access rights to C:\ProgramData\Disc-Soft\reWASD\ folder.
    In most cases, closing reWASD via Tray Agent and restarting it as Administrator would be a solution.
    You can also manually set "Full access for every user" for that folder as a permanent solution.

If your PC cannot make a stable connection to our server, we suggest using a VPN service or contacting your Internet provider for further assistance.

Comment

The ping works, average time ~160ms. Domain and IP match. I'm not on a VPN, I have no third-party firewall other than that built into Win10.

It' weird because I don't have any license problem, the issue _only_ comes when trying to download the update package. I get the issue from both the ReWASD app and three different web browsers. The app times out, while the browser starts the download, it slows to ~50kbps, then eventually stops, only partially-downloaded. I was able to keep using the "retry" function in firefox to eventually download the exe, but it took six retries to finish. I ran it that way, it updated, and all went well.

Just for kicks tried the exe download from the site again, and the same problem occurs, it eventually times out.

Comment

I would recommend carefully going through all the points that I described above.

Comment

For some reason you don't seem to believe me, not sure what I did to offend you, maybe you're just having a bad day. So here's a point by point response then:

"This message appears when our app cannot contact our server (secure.disc-soft.com) for license verification or cannot communicate with its local service"

Not the issue I reported. This is not a license activation check issue. The local service is fine. I can 100% reliably hit Refresh Activation and it works just fine.

"reWASD.exe, reWASDEngine.exe, and reWASDService.exe processes should have access to the Loopback Interface (127.0.0.1), the Local Network (192.168.0.* by default), and Internet (or at least to secure.disc-soft.com) to work properly."

Check, and all good.

"If you are using Windows Firewall, ensure all reWASD rules are enabled for all network types."

Check, and all good.

"If you use third-party anti-virus or protection software, try adding all reWASD executables to the exclusions or trusted apps list."

Check, and none.

"If you use an Eero Security service on your router, please allow the secure.disc-soft.com domain in its settings or disable the service.​"

Check, and none.

"Run the ping secure.disc-soft.com command. It should resolve as 161.35.212.100, and all packets must reach their destination."

Check, and it works fine.

"If secure.disc-soft.com is resolved as another IP address, open the C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file and remove any lines that contain the name of our server."

Check, and none.

"Open the https://secure.disc-soft.com link in a Chrome-based browser. If everything is normal, it should redirect you to our homepage. If it does not, send us a screenshot of the page or error you see instead.​"

Check, and confirmed it works fine.

"Another possible reason of "Unverified License" error is lack of access rights to C:\ProgramData\Disc-Soft\reWASD\ folder."

Again, not a license error.

"In most cases, closing reWASD via Tray Agent and restarting it as Administrator would be a solution."

Done, and no change.

"You can also manually set "Full access for every user" for that folder as a permanent solution."

No change. Even did a full uninstall and app data wipe, no change - and also the license check worked just fine then, too.

"we suggest using a VPN service or contacting your Internet provider for further assistance.​"

I tried a VPN (Proton) and same issue. I'm declining to call my ISP.

It's just the update file exe, it isn't isolated to the app. All other things related to ReWASD, including licensing, website, forum, and store, are working fine. I even got it upgraded after a bunch of retries in Firefox.​ It's no longer even an issue for me, I just thought someone on your end might want to know and look into a possible issue with that file on the remote end.

I hope you have a good day.

Comment

The fact that using a VPN from another country did not affect the situation indicates that this is not a problem with the connection between our server and a specific country. This looks more like a local issue on your PC.

If your current goal is to install the latest version, I have sent you an alternative download link via DM.

If in the future you encounter a similar issue connecting to the server, let us know, and we will forward the issue to the appropriate department.​

Comment

Thanks for the alternate link. Thankfully I am already on the latest version having managed to finish the download via firefox after a few retries, it's no longer an issue at this point. If it happens again in the future, I'll probably set the PC on fire and fling it into the Gulf.

Comment

Originally Posted by NPC View Post
                Thanks for the alternate link. Thankfully I am already on the latest version having managed to finish the download via firefox after a few retries, it's no longer an issue at this point. If it happens again in the future, I'll probably set the PC on fire and fling it into the Gulf.
                No need. It's better to contact us again.
                Such connection issues are difficult to immediately investigate until they become widespread, which hints at a problem on our part.

Take care of your PC​

Comment

Working...
                X