Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to figure out an overlay issue with a game, seeking ideas for things to try

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to figure out an overlay issue with a game, seeking ideas for things to try

For some odd reason I can't get the Radial menu to appear in one game. It's called Avorion. Other app overlays (Steam, Nvidia, Discord, etc) are working fine, so far ReWASD is the only one not popping up. I have no doubts it's a problem with the game itself, but I'm trying to see if there is anything I can do to get it working on my end. Things I've tried:
    • Fiddling with the UI Scaling compatibility on the game EXE (this works sometimes, but not here)
    • Trying the game in Fullscreen, Windowed, and Borderless modes (no difference)
    • Tweaking the game's settings.ini file directly to see if any of its UI scaling is affecting it (nada)
    • Attempted the DirectX injection option from the ReWASD menu (no luck)
    It's not a big deal because it's easy enough to just set this game's radial to appear on the near edge of the second monitor. But it'd be nice if I could figure out why this is happening. The game is still being actively worked on, so if I could pass some things on to the dev to try and help out, I'd love to. Thanks!

Hey there!

We have checked this on our side, and everything is working correctly.

Please clarify and check a few points for us:

1. Did we understand correctly which game you meant?
    If so, please specify the game version you are using and check with the version on which everything is working correctly for us.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	83
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	243252

2. What device and button are you using to switch to the radial menu?
    Please send us your config. Right-click on its name, open the file location, and send it to us.

3. Please specify if the reWASD overlay is displayed for you (e.g., switching to the shift layer, applying the config, etc.)
    If not, you need to enable it by going to Preferences in the Overlay section.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	103
Size:	655.0 KB
ID:	243251​​

Comment

Update! I figured out a work-around about 2 minutes after I made the original post here (but couldn't respond as it wasn't approved). Turns out I was mistaken - I hadn't actually tried "windowed" mode yet, I thought I had, but then looking at the settings.ini afterward I saw that my change to Windowed had not actually saved before trying. So I set it to basic windowed mode (aka "windowMode=1" in the settings file) and restarted, and that was able to show the overlay (still wouldn't work in "fullscreen" or "borderless" mode).

The only way I was able to get it to work in a borderless window was by using a third-party hack. I set Avorion to use Windowed mode (and not its built-in Borderless), then used the third-party "Borderless Gaming" tool from Github to force the Avorion window to fullscreen without a border. This allowed the ReWASD overlay to function without any further issue.

Still have no idea why it won't show in default fullscreen ("windowMode=0") or borderless ("windowMode=2"), but it's not the first time this has happened to me - in recent memory, Mace Griffin Bounty Hunter had the same issue.

Comment

Thanks for the information.
        We can't guarantee that the Radial menu will work in all games and in all window modes. But if there is a chance that the problem is on the software side and the Radial Menu display issues are observed in most games, let us know. We will be happy to dig into it.

Comment

Working...
        X