Adding Support for newly released Astro C40 ($200) controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding Support for newly released Astro C40 ($200) controller

Just wondering if it is possible to add support for the Astro C40 controller. It was released on the 25th. Windows identify it was an Xbox controller, so do your software but there are two buttons on the back that can not be utilized.

Hello!

Does Windows see it as Xbox 360 out of the box or after you installed its drivers?

Comment

After you install the drivers, Windows recognize it as an Xbox controller.

Comment

The drivers were from the Astro software provided via the Astro website.

Comment

I see, thanks for the details.

Could I please ask you to do one more thing.

Please type joy.cpl in the Windows search and open the suggested tool. You will see this window:

Choose your Astro controller and click Properties. In the next window, please try to push the buttons at the controller's back. Is anything is highlighted while you do so?

Comment

Okay, I tried what you asked and when I press the back buttons, no lights came on. I would say that the back buttons are akin to the Xbox Elite paddles. I had that control and it worked perfect with your software (as you already know).

On this controller, you are able to program the back buttons as any of the buttons that are on the control already (like the Elite).

Comment

Thanks for the investigation. Unfortunately, not all controller have the unique additional buttons like Xbox Elite.

Right now, I'm not sure that it is possible to distinguish them by a third-party program.

We will try to do our best after we get this controller too, but I can't promise you the possible and the fast solution.

Are the other buttons are working OK with reWASD?

Comment

Yes all other buttons are accounted for and working properly. Funny thing is, Windows and your software recognize the controller as xbox 360 when the controller is actually suppose to be used for PC and PS4. Thanks for the speedy response. Hopefully, support will come soon seeing as your software is my go-to software with my controllers.

I will also leave a message on Astro's website to see if they could provide some solutions also.

Comment

Great, thanks for you help and understanding.

I may assume that it works as Xbox 360 on PC only, with the native drivers, while with PS4, it is a completely another device with DirectInput.

Comment

Okay, so I connected my Elite controller to my computer. Ran the "joy.cpl" command to see if the back paddles lit up any of the available circles. As you know, the circles did light up. So than I took my Astro C40 controller, programmed the back buttons to act as the face buttons (to mimic the Elite paddles) and the corresponding circles lit up upon pressing the back buttons. Same as it did for the Elite paddles. In that sense, it would seem to work just like the elite paddles. Do this help in any way?

Comment

Originally Posted by Bigl1230x View Post
                      Okay, so I connected my Elite controller to my computer. Ran the "joy.cpl" command to see if the back paddles lit up any of the available circles. As you know, the circles did light up. So than I took my Astro C40 controller, programmed the back buttons to act as the face buttons (to mimic the Elite paddles) and the corresponding circles lit up upon pressing the back buttons. Same as it did for the Elite paddles. In that sense, it would seem to work just like the elite paddles. Do this help in any way?
                      Most controllers with additional buttons don't report those buttons to the system, but process them inside the controller's hardware. Elite is the only one gaempad we know that actually has a loophole and allows detecting the paddles as separate buttons. There is a small chance that Astro works the same way, however, we can't guarantee anything. Still, there is one more thing I would kindly ask you to try. Could you please remove the Astro drivers and software from your system, connect the controller and check it in joy.cpl one more time?

Comment

At first, instead of removing the Astro drivers from my computer, i just connected the controller to a laptop that has never had the drivers. I did notice that Windows automatically install USB drivers, I'm guessing because the controller is connected via USB. In that case, when I typed in the "Joy.cpl" command, the controller wasn't even in the list of controllers. So then, I just uninstalled all the Astro drivers from my main computer and ran the command. The same thing happened. Unless i install the Astro drivers, Windows does not recognize the controller.

Comment

Thanks again for your help.

I'll get back to you if we find some solution, but you did gave us lots of useful information.

Comment

Well that is what the community is for. We are all invested in making the software the best it could be. So anything I can help with, I sure will. Thank you for taking the time out to help me as well. Great team, you guys have!

Comment

Thank you for your support

Comment

Working...
                              X