Some suggestions for the reWASD and in use with the Steam Controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some suggestions for the reWASD and in use with the Steam Controller

Hi, some thoughts after messing around this revolutionary awesome tool with my precious Steam Controller:

[Suggestions]:

0️⃣1️⃣ [Important!] In the "Analog mode" on the "Left/Right Touchpad," to adjust the zone/region range like we have in "Digital mode" and "Left-Stick." PLEASE!

0️⃣2️⃣ [Important!] In the "Analog mode" on the "Left/Right Touchpad," to remap any direction of the axis to any mapping. PLEASE!

0️⃣3️⃣ [Important!] Include the "Shift mode" mappings into the input mapping menu with the activators. PLEASE!

0️⃣4️⃣ An option to scale the icons up/down? All icons are a little bit too small to me in the main menu and sub-menu because I also want to keep the application window as small as I can.

0️⃣5️⃣ The directions of both"Left-Stick" and "Right-Stick" icons are not as clear as those of "Direction-Pad." Can the icons be like these or we use our own?

0️⃣6️⃣ An option to show icons in this layout for the "Left/Right Touchpad/Stick" and "Direction-Pad"?

0️⃣7️⃣ Or, in the current icon layout, can the background of the corresponding icon be highlighted when the mouse hovering on the "Left/Right Touchpad/Stick" and "Direction-Pad"?

0️⃣8️⃣ An option to show other mappings on the same physical input part when clicking on one of the directions of "Left/Right Touchpad/Stick" and "Direction-Pad.

0️⃣9️⃣ Add 4 buttons of "Direction-Pad" to quick mapping in this section:

1️⃣0️⃣ To use only the gamepad front view to edit mappings? Because it's kinda cumbersome and wasting time to click the "back" view button only for editing those 4 mappings while we can already see them in the front view. Also, the opposite side of view for inputs is confusing too.

1️⃣1️⃣ Using "Shortcuts" for switching 4 shift modes.

1️⃣2️⃣ Mapping only one button to cycle through all non-empty "shift modes" mappings. It's also good to have an option to let the users decide if cycling through the empty "shift modes" mapping or not.

1️⃣3️⃣ Add the "Left/Right Grip" buttons and "Touchpad click" of Steam Controller for changing slots.

1️⃣4️⃣ Undo/Redo button/function.

1️⃣5️⃣ Don't promote the "Saving Warning" and make the "Disk Icon" for saving & "Applying" button back to grey when any change is back to their last saved state.

1️⃣6️⃣ One button to export/import game profiles and reWASD settings.

1️⃣7️⃣ An option to save/restore reWASD settings("Press time," "Slots," "LED settings"...etc).

1️⃣8️⃣ To change game profiles and reWASD settings save location.

1️⃣9️⃣ On-screen overlay(when this feature implemented) to show the current "Shift mode & Slots" name while switching.

[Issue?]:
    The application becomes slower and slower after the PC comes back from sleep mode a few times.
    Last edited by AxJ; 07.09.2020, 12:39.

Hello! Thanks for your suggestions. I need to add some comments though to be sure that we are on the same page.

0️⃣1️⃣ [Important!] In the "Analog mode" on the "Left/Right Touchpad," to adjust the zone/region range like we have in "Digital mode" and "Left-Stick." PLEASE!
    Are you about Low, Med, High zones we have for sticks and trigger?

0️⃣2️⃣ [Important!] In the "Analog mode" on the "Left/Right Touchpad," to remap any direction of the axis to any mapping. PLEASE!
    I think you just need to switch the trackpad to Digital mode to achieve this.

0️⃣3️⃣ [Important!] Include the "Shift mode" mappings into the input mapping menu with the activators. PLEASE! Of course, to show a warning for the users to set a mapping to go back to the "Main configuration" mapping if the toggle mode for "Shift mode" is checked/enabled.
    You can assign a modifier inside the Shift. Click on the Shift icon, and you will see the checkbox "Use as Shift modifier" on any button.

0️⃣4️⃣ An option to scale the icons up/down? All icons are a little bit too small to me in the main menu and sub-menu because I also want to keep the application window as small as I can.
    This is a tricky thing. If you make a window smaller, all the icons become smaller because otherwise they won't fit the size. I understand that you use the limited number of options (without combos or activators), but if you add more, you will see that it is not possible to make icons bigger unfortunately.

0️⃣5️⃣ The directions of both"Left-Stick" and "Right-Stick" icons are not as clear as those of "Direction-Pad." Can the icons be like these or we use our own?
    Your icons are bigger. Not sure if they could fit our size. We tried to keep them minimalist. Will consider your idea though after discussing it with a team

0️⃣6️⃣ An option to show icons in this layout for the "Left/Right Touchpad/Stick" and "Direction-Pad"?
    0️⃣8️⃣ An option to show other mappings on the same physical input part when clicking on one of the directions of "Left/Right Touchpad/Stick" and "Direction-Pad.
    Just like 4, this won't work for "longer" mappings with activators or combos.

0️⃣7️⃣ Or, in the current icon layout, can the background of the corresponding icon be highlighted when the mouse hovering on the "Left/Right Touchpad/Stick" and "Direction-Pad"?
    This thing is possible, we will add it to one of the next versions.

Which mappings do you want to see there? D-Pad?

1️⃣0️⃣ To use only the gamepad front view to edit mappings? Because it's kinda cumbersome and wasting time to click the "back" view button only for editing those 4 mappings while we can already see them in the front view. Also, the opposite side of view for inputs is confusing too.
    There will be 6 in the next release, as for we are adding Full Trigger Press too :satisfied: As you may see, some buttons are not shown on the front page, so if there is no back view, you will not be able to map them at all. If you mean that you want to press on a mapping to open the panel, this won't work in some cases, for example, with activators. Unfortunately, this suggestion is again too personal and doesn't match all the features we have.

Pretty difficult thing at the moment, but we are planning to add it in one of the next versions. But not in the closest one.

1️⃣2️⃣ Mapping only one button to cycle through all non-empty "shift modes" mappings. It's also good to have an option to let the users decide if cycling through the empty "shift modes" mapping or not.
    Never thought about this option frankly speaking. How will you use it? You won't be able to get back to the main configuration at all, and Shift mode is designed to be additional layer, but not the one with the high priority. Also, it seems to be possible only for Toggled Shift.

1️⃣3️⃣ Add the "Left/Right Grip" buttons and "Touchpad click" of Steam Controller for changing slots.
    Got it, will do.

1️⃣4️⃣ Undo/Redo button/function.
    This one is in our to-do list already.

1️⃣5️⃣ Don't promote the "Saving Warning" and make the "Disk Icon" for saving & "Applying" button back to grey when any change is back to their last saved state.
    Pretty close to 14 while talking about implementation. Will think what is possible to do, but I won't promise you any fast release

1️⃣6️⃣ One button to export/import game profiles and reWASD settings.
    1️⃣7️⃣ An option to save/restore reWASD settings("Press time," "Slots," "LED settings"...etc).
    Where do you want to store it? Locally or on a server? Should the app back up settings from time to time automatically or only manually?

Will be done soon.

1️⃣9️⃣ On-screen overlay(when this feature implemented) to show the current "Shift mode & Slots" name while switching.
    Sure, once the overlay is ready, it will have this option.

The application becomes slower and slower after the PC comes back from sleep mode a few times.
    What exactly becomes slower? Navigation? Some parts of the GUI? Apply?

Comment

0️⃣3️⃣ [Important!] Include the "Shift mode" mappings into the input mapping menu with the activators. PLEASE! Of course, to show a warning for the users to set a mapping to go back to the "Main configuration" mapping if the toggle mode for "Shift mode" is checked/enabled.
      You can assign a modifier inside the Shift. Click on the Shift icon, and you will see the checkbox "Use as Shift modifier" on any button.
      I think what OP is asking for is the ability to assign the mode shift to any activator as well as having different (or multiple) buttons to enter and exit modes. For instance, maybe I want to press LB to enter a Shift where my face buttons are different weapons (maybe 1-4 like in Fortnite).

Code:
      Shift 1:
      LB Regular Press - Switch to Shift 2

Shift 2:
      A Regular Press - 1
        Release Press - Switch to Shift 1

B Regular Press - 2

X Regular Press - 3

Y Regular Press - 4
      Restraining the enter and exit binding to a specific key doesn't allow for more complex setups like this.

Additionally, allowing the user to assign shifting modes to activators allows for uses where a binding and shift can occur on the same button. For instance, say the user wanted to open the map, place a waypoint, and then close the map -- however they also wanted to be able to do other map based things like zoom or scroll or toggle the legend and those bindings are placed on the face buttons to make navigation and manipulation easier. Since the face buttons typical are used for jump, crouch, interact, etc it makes sense to use a Shift to reassign these specifically for the map screen.

Code:
      Shift 1:
      LT Start Press - Tab (Open Menu)
         Hold Press - Switch to Shift 2

Shift 2:
      LT Release Press: Combo [Left Click (Place Waypoint) + wait 250ms + Tab (Close Menu) + wait 250ms + Switch to Shift 1]
      Now I could hold the left trigger to open the map, use the right stick and the face buttons to manipulate the map, then release the left trigger to place the waypoint and exit the map.

Overall, the current implementation of entering and exiting shifts is restrictive -- both bindings have to be the same button, cannot be bound to more than one button, cannot be used in tandem with other bindings, and cannot be used in combos (I think). Granted, I don't think an overhaul of this system is worth doing before some other crucial features are added (which is why I haven't brought it up myself yet) but it will eventually need to get reworked to offer more freedom.
      Last edited by CriticalComposer; 07.09.2020, 16:45.

Comment

0️⃣1️⃣ [Important!] In the "Analog mode" on the "Left/Right Touchpad," to adjust the zone/region range
        Originally Posted by reWASDer View Post
        Are you about Low, Med, High zones we have for sticks and trigger?
        No~~~~ It's this!

One of the best features of the reWASD!!!!!!!

0️⃣2️⃣ [Important!] In the "Analog mode" on the "Left/Right Touchpad," to remap any direction of the axis to any mapping.
        I think you just need to switch the trackpad to Digital mode to achieve this.
        But then, I can't use the analog input. That's why I specifically stated that must be in the analog mode. We can do that in the left/right stick, why we don't have this function in the "left/right Touchpad"?

0️⃣3️⃣ [Important!] Include the "Shift mode" mappings into the input mapping menu with the activators.
        Yes, I know but I'm talking about the activators(double press, long press...etc) for the "Shift mode."

0️⃣4️⃣ An option to scale the icons up/down?
        I understand that you use the limited number of options (without combos or activators), but if you add more, you will see that it is not possible to make icons bigger unfortunately.
        Isn't it that we still get plenty of space here? https://i.imgur.com/iJhjOjU.png
        But if this isn't your priority, I can understand. Just an optional suggestion. I'll try to use the reWASD with a larger window.

0️⃣5️⃣ The directions of both"Left-Stick" and "Right-Stick" icons are not as clear as those of "Direction-Pad."
        ...We tried to keep them minimalist. Will consider your idea though after discussing it with a team
        That's ok. My icons are just for the concept idea. I think the original design plus solid color arrows is pretty good too.

0️⃣6️⃣ An option to show icons in this layout...
        0️⃣8️⃣ An option to show other mappings...]
        Just like 4, this won't work for "longer" mappings with activators or combos.
        Understandable.

0️⃣7️⃣ Or, in the current icon layout, can the background of the corresponding icon be highlighted...
        This thing is possible, we will add it to one of the next versions.
        Thanks!!!

Which mappings do you want to see there? D-Pad?
        I mean literally "4 buttons of the Direction-Pad." So, we don't have to map them 4 times on the left/right Touchpad or stick.
        Just like what we have for the "WASD" and "Arrows."

1️⃣0️⃣ To use only the gamepad front view to edit mappings?
        There will be 6 in the next release... :satisfied:
        I know there will be 6. :satisfied:YA~~~
        But I don't understand. We can already see 4 of them in the front view. Why can't we just click them to edit in the front view?
        2 more should be fine though. Please check how Valve does for this: https://i.imgur.com/fUtxBAb.png

Pretty difficult thing at the moment, but we are planning to add it in one of the next versions. But not in the closest one.
        Sure. Thanks for your consideration. Looking forward to it though.

1️⃣2️⃣ Mapping only one button to cycle through all non-empty "shift modes" mappings.
        Never thought about this option frankly speaking. How will you use it?
        The main purpose of this is to save extra 3 buttons for Shift mode if we can't have it with activators.
        So, I can use only one button to navigate through all Shift mode mappings and then go back to the main configuration if needed.
        For example,
        The main configuration is for the Main menu,
        Shift mode 1 is for the In-game play,
        Shift mode 2 is for the In-game menus,
        Shift mode 3 is for the Replay function,
        then I can just press one button to use all 4 mappings according to the respective scenario and save 2~3 buttons for other functions.

But if we can use Shift mode with the activators, I think this function/suggestion is irrelevant.

You won't be able to get back to the main configuration at all... Also, it seems to be possible only for Toggled Shift.
        Yes, I didn't make it clear. It's only for the Toggled Shift. The non-toggled shift mode is perfect I think.
        But why "won't be able to get back to the main configuration at all"?

Got it, will do.
        Yes, thanks!!! This makes changing slots more easily!!

1️⃣5️⃣ Don't promote the "Saving Warning" and make the "Disk Icon" for saving & "Applying" button back to grey...
        ...Will think what is possible to do, but I won't promise you any fast release
        Please do consider this even though it won't be implemented in the near future.
        It's annoying and confusing every time it shows the warning and the "Disk Icon" lit up while I've already undone every change I made.
        Or maybe show unsaved changes we made comparing to the last save state too when the warning is up?

1️⃣6️⃣.1️⃣7️⃣ One button to export/import game profiles and reWASD settings.
        Where do you want to store it? Locally or on a server? Should the app back up settings from time to time automatically or only manually?
        Oh, I didn't know we can have a cloud saves here. XD
        I'd like to have it saved locally and manually but it doesn't bother me to have an option for cloud save.

Will be done soon.
        YES, YES, YES!!! Thanks!

1️⃣9️⃣ On-screen overlays...
        Sure, once the overlay is ready, it will have this option.
        Oh my... Pretty looking forward to all the overlay things!!!

❗❗❓❓The application becomes slower and slower after the PC comes back from sleep mode a few times.
        What exactly becomes slower? Navigation? Some parts of the GUI? Apply?
        Yes, all of them. The reWASD GUI becomes very slow for responding to everything like clicking to change shift mode mappings, the drop menu...etc.
        But maybe it's something wrong with my PC if no one had or can reproduce this problem.
        It runs pretty smoothly for the last couple of days.
        Last edited by AxJ; 09.09.2020, 00:24.

Comment

Originally Posted by CriticalComposer View Post
          I think what OP is asking for is the ability to assign the mode shift to any activator as well as having different (or multiple) buttons to enter and exit modes.
          Overall, the current implementation of entering and exiting shifts is restrictive...
          Yes, indeed. Maybe we can use the way the Valve did for Steam Controller for the reference.
          1. For "Toggled" Shift mode: https://i.imgur.com/PE999ob.mp4
          2. For "Non-toggled(long press) Shift mode: https://i.imgur.com/fPJPxd3.mp4
          "Non-toggled(long press) Shift mode" can be done by the first method too, I think, just change both activators to Start/Release press respectively.

Comment

Thanks for the details about Shift mode. Yes, it is a pretty huge change for the architecture, but we are ready for challenges

Comment

But then, I can't use the analog input. That's why I specifically stated that must be in the analog mode. We can do that in the left/right stick, why we don't have this function in the "left/right Touchpad"?
              Analog mode will work in this case. It has two modes btw. I understand that it misses the axes ranges, we will think what is possible to do here in future releases.

I mean literally "4 buttons of the Direction-Pad." So, we don't have to map them 4 times on the left/right Touchpad or stick.
              Just like what we have for the "WASD" and "Arrows."
              We will need group mappings for Digital mode then. OK, got your point!

Please check how Valve does for this: https://i.imgur.com/fUtxBAb.png
              Don't meant to sound rude, but we are not making a clone of Steam remapper. Yep, it is cool and powerful, but we are not connected anyhow and we are not interested in making one more Steam. reWASD supports a dozen of different controllers + keyboards and mice, and we follow our own principles while making our software. In reWASD, you can click on an activator icon to see the mapping. In reWASD, you can click on the shortcut to go to Shortcuts. And so, one more action (click on the mapping to see the panel) is just not the one we think is suitable here. In Steam, you can click on a mapping from the front panel, but you will need to go to multiple nested windows to achieve the final action. We do not want reWASD to look like this. Thanks for understanding

The reWASD GUI becomes very slow for responding to everything like clicking to change shift mode mappings, the drop menu...etc.
              We are working on the next minor release that is coming soon. It will include a few small improvements and features + optimization. I hope the next version will fun smoothly always

Comment

0️⃣2️⃣ [Important!] In the "Analog mode" on the "Left/Right Touchpad," to remap any direction of the axis to any mapping.
                Analog mode will work in this case...it misses the axes ranges, we will think what is possible to do here in future releases.
                Thank you!! This is very important because the analog input of the modern gamepad is a very crucial and fundamental part. I use the Touchpad for smooth steering in all racing sims/games. How can we drive with 2 buttons to turn as we do in real life with the steering wheel?

We will need group mappings for Digital mode then. OK, got your point!
                Yes, exactly! Thank you! Hooray!

1️⃣0️⃣ To use only the gamepad front view to edit mappings?
                Don't meant to sound rude, but we are not making a clone of Steam remapper...We do not want reWASD to look like this. Thanks for understanding
                No, it never sounds rude! Don’t worry. And I do agree with what you said, all of them. But I’m not talking about copying the operation of the software. All I’m asking is to edit all inputs only in the front view. That’s all. Nothing more.

The image of the Steam Controller from Steam Big Picture is just a reference for “THE LAYOUT” of the front view editing, not the mechanism of the application. I know the way mapping inputs in reWASD is much easier so I’m not asking to change that.

All I want is to edit all inputs in the front view like this:
                https://i.imgur.com/VPxp6Nw.png

❗❗❓❓The application becomes slower and slower after the PC comes back from sleep mode a few times.
                We are working on...I hope the next version will fun smoothly always
                Cool! Any improvement is always welcome!!!

Comment

We will certainly think what is possible to do :satisfied:

Stay tuned!

Comment

Just another concept idea of front view editing layout.

Comment

Got your point. This concept was used in the previous versions of reWASD but was removed then because it seems to be too "heavy" according to the feedback from our customers.

Comment

Any chance to leave it as an option?

Comment

Maybe, in the next versions.

Comment

AxJ New version has been released. Please download it from the official website or update via the app.

We have done your #9 and #13. Also, this release works much faster.

You are welcome to try the 3-day trial

Comment

Hi, thanks for the quick update! Just tried it and felt great!!!

The new “Full Pull” mapping and the left/right Grips/Touchpad-clicks/Trigger Full Pulls for the Shortcuts are super duper awesome!!!

And again, some suggestions:

● A group of the “4 buttons for the D-Pad” mapping to the:
                              1. Steam controller: Left Stick
                              2. Other controllers: Left Stick, Right Stick, and the D-Pad
                              Right now, it’s only added to the digital mode of the left and right Touchpad on the Steam controller if I’m not mistaken.

●Add configs to support the shortcuts and activators.

●The slot in the dropdown menu on the left changes to the current editing one simultaneously.

●Add all slot numbers under the configs if saved to the slots. Thus, we don’t have to check which config is saved to which slot one by one.

●When mouse hovering and wheel scrolling at the same time on the slots dropdown menu, to change the slots in the dropdown menu.

Bugs(?):
                              ● When no config is applied to the current slots, the right Touchpad of the Steam controller becomes the mouse movement and the left/right Grips to the F7 and F9. Is it normal? I seem to had messed around for such mappings and applied it to the current slots. But I had removed it from the slots and deleted the configs and game profile later. But I still got the issue now. I also shut down and closed the Steam client too. Not working.

Comment

Working...
                              X